Gekko print bed add on

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
Lawrence

Gekko print bed add on

Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am

Hi all
I read with some sceptically about the Gekko table being able to eliminate the model lifting from the platform while being printed.
I then decided to take an AUD$70 gamble and ordered the Gekko off eBay from UK.
I received the parcel 1 week later in Melbourne, Australia.
I have now successfully completed several prints including the famous 70mm diameter ball bearing.
My findings have been that as the supplier claims, when the bed heats up, ABS sticks to the Gekko like it has been glued on. Absolutely no hint of a lift off the platform.
But, when the Gekko has been taken off the heated bed and cooled down, by gently flexing the Gekko table, the completed print can easily be removed.
One word or warning, learned from biter experience on my first attempt with the Gekko, is that the Gekko and second board separating it from direct contact with the heated bed are thicker than the perf board.
I my enthusiasm I forgot to adjust the nozzle height and drove the nozzle into the Gekko and did some routing into the top of the Gekko. After dismantling the extrusion head and cleaning the nozzle and brass tube going to it that had both blocked up, I then adjusted the nozzle height, and tried again with success.
Although I am still using my “engraved” Gekko, I also received 3 more sheets. The supplier claims that each sheet will do hundreds of prints. If I can get 500 plus good prints from my $70 investment I will be very satisfied.
I am now sold on the Gekko, and recommend it.
But, it would be even better if the screws holding down the Gekko sheet were countersunk and did not protrude above it.
Oh yes, I should mention that I have no connection with the supplier.
Links for those interested in the Gekko:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gekko-Table-for ... 337c8d6aab
http://forbintec.blogspot.co.uk/

Regards
Lawrence

JuliaDee

Re: Gekko print bed add on

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks for the report! Are you printing with or without raft?

julia

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 am

Hi Julia
I have printed using a raft.
When the Gekko has cooled, for example printing the ball bearing at 70mm diameter, by gently flexing the Gekko sheet the raft came away from it. Once cool, I did not need to use the spatula to remove it from the Gekko sheet, but when the Gekko was hot I think I may have needed a crowbar to remove the model from the Gekko sheet (not that I actually tried using a crowbar).
Also, last night I read the suppliers blog. They state that they tried countersunk screws to hold the Gekko down but it warped. It seems that when the Gekko is heated it expands slightly and with countersunk screws there is no allowance for expansion.
The distance between screws is 120mm. That footprint (120mm X 120mm) is about as big as I plan to print on the Up!, so I don't really have an issue. But, I will still be be searching for 3mm screws with a flatter head to avoid the possibility of the nozzle hitting them. Either that or I will file the heads of some 3mm screws down.
Regards
Lawrence

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Lawrence,

Do you know if the gekko fit's the UP mini platform?

Supplier,
Are you reading this?

Matt
Always breath out on the way UP

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi
the Gekko is 140mm X 140mm, so, too big for the Mini. Possible you could cut them to size, but with the necessary separation boardplaced under the Gekko sheet, it results in being about double the thickness of the perf board.
From my positive experience with the Gekko so far, I would suggest to the supplier to make the Gekko in all popular sizes - to fit the mini, Makerbots, repraps, etc.
Hope this helps
Regards
Lawrence

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi, Seems about the exact same size Lawrence. I think about ordering these just to give it a go. Thanks for the info

Matt
Always breath out on the way UP

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 am

Hi scubamatt41

I thought the Up! Mini has a 120 X 120 mm platform ??????

Regards
Lawrence

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 am

No the platform is exactly the same size, so are the perfboards that fit on it. It's just the size you can print that is smaller.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:27 am

Hi pp3dp.nl
That is interesting. Makes me wonder then why they don't make the casing a bit bigger to allow for the cross movement of the extruder to extend to 140mm width, and offer the Up! Plus enclosed, like the mini. Would be nice if that was planned for the next model Up!Plus ?
Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:16 pm

The only concern for the Mini might be reaching the required temperature for the Gecko boards - it only goes to 50C and in the corners it only reaches about 40C.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 pm

roller, have you got the material set to PLA ? I assumed the Mini print bed heated to 100c, like the Plus. Lower for PLA.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

daveb693

Post by daveb693 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Lawrence wrote:Hi all
I read with some sceptically about the Gekko table being able to eliminate the model lifting from the platform while being printed.
I then decided to take an AUD$70 gamble and ordered the Gekko off eBay from UK.
I received the parcel 1 week later in Melbourne, Australia.
I have now successfully completed several prints including the famous 70mm diameter ball bearing.
My findings have been that as the supplier claims, when the bed heats up, ABS sticks to the Gekko like it has been glued on. Absolutely no hint of a lift off the platform.
But, when the Gekko has been taken off the heated bed and cooled down, by gently flexing the Gekko table, the completed print can easily be removed.
One word or warning, learned from biter experience on my first attempt with the Gekko, is that the Gekko and second board separating it from direct contact with the heated bed are thicker than the perf board.
I my enthusiasm I forgot to adjust the nozzle height and drove the nozzle into the Gekko and did some routing into the top of the Gekko. After dismantling the extrusion head and cleaning the nozzle and brass tube going to it that had both blocked up, I then adjusted the nozzle height, and tried again with success.
Although I am still using my “engraved” Gekko, I also received 3 more sheets. The supplier claims that each sheet will do hundreds of prints. If I can get 500 plus good prints from my $70 investment I will be very satisfied.
I am now sold on the Gekko, and recommend it.
But, it would be even better if the screws holding down the Gekko sheet were countersunk and did not protrude above it.
Oh yes, I should mention that I have no connection with the supplier.
Links for those interested in the Gekko:
http://forbintec.blogspot.co.uk/

Regards
Lawrence
just got my gekko board , very pleased with the results so far

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:50 am

Do you know of anywhere else to get something like the gekko board, the ebay seller doesnt sell them anymore :(

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 am

50C is standard modus operandi for the Mini it seems... many have reported it, no one has explained it. I am definitely set to ABS although 50C is an ideal PLA temp. It seems be the intended temp for the Mini as the software does not report actual bed temp but rather just immediately reports somethin like "51C - heating". There is no varying numerical value.

The Mini's big problem is the corners only hit about 40C. It's annoying because I struggle to print 100x100mm on it yet I used to print 50% bigger than that on reprap with kapton covered glass at about 90C.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:49 am

roller, that really surprises me. I thought the default standard for printing ABS on any printer was a heated bed 80-120C. I'm really surprised it works at all, especially for OEM filament with a higher melting point.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 am

The Minis chamber retains the heat generated from the platform, steppers, electronics and extruder for a more constant build temperature. The main cause of warping is cool air flowing over the external part, while the internal part is hot.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 am

Hi teamcarlisle

Re:

teamcarlisle
Do you know of anywhere else to get something like the gekko board, the ebay seller doesnt sell them anymore

I just went to the eBay site below, and it states that there are 5 still available from the original 10 offered.

Although that eBay auction has ended I suggest that you send forbinone a message either through an email on eBay or this private message on this forum.

Also, I would think that forbinone will be continuing to offer the Gekko. I notice that he is now also offering the Gekko with 214 X 214 mm size. Good stuff, because I will soon be purchasing a larger format 3D printer - to sit beside my up! - for large footprint model, hopefully s in ABS.

Regards
Lawrence

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:23 am

Actually the chamber does barely anything to retain the heat - the massive hole in the top lets all the heat out. Because the hotbed heats s little I barely read 5C above ambient in the chamber. I think it is much more accurate to just say it keeps the breezes at bay. If you plug up the hole (a handy use for the supplied gloves :P ) it can get to about 15C above ambient. I tested it out mid week when ambient was below 20C.

There have been a few experiments in reprap circles for gecko like home brew alternatives. Painting with PVA or acrylic paint (and allowing to dry) and using spray glue have been interestingly effective solutions rolled out recently.

forbinone

Post by forbinone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi ForbinOne From ForbinTec,

I will continue to relaunch the Gekko tables as the auctions run out So the auction number will change this the link this is why from Lawrence has died.

I apologise for the inconvenience but i will try to ensure that the tables are always available (For obvious reasons)

If you type Gekko Table into ebay you should find an auction, if not send me a message on this system.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards to all.

ForbinOne.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 am

ForbinOne, do the gekko print beds need to reach an ideal temperature to work particularly will they work happily at 50C?