Heated Build Chambers

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
artie11

Heated Build Chambers

Post by artie11 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:49 pm

I've heard there is patent issues with heated build chamber.. But has anyone used one for an Up? as print warping is an issue we all face. I'd assume that a chamber kept at say 40 - 50c would only improve the adhesion of the part to the platform..

Any thoughts..

Icarus2013

Re: Heated Build Chambers

Post by Icarus2013 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 am

I've tried a heated 'chamber' of sorts and can report good results with print repeatability and lack of warping. Print jobs that have otherwise warped are now successful.

I say heated 'chamber' because my setup is in the guest toilet in my house. It's a very small room where I've got an electric oil heater with the temp full up. I don't have a thermostat, but my best guess is it maintains about 35-40 degrees Celsius (95-104F)

I can quickly enter the room without too much heat getting out and have full access to the printer for doing any maintenance, pausing printing etc.

An old laptop sits on the best available flat spot (I probably don't need to be specific....)

I await many double entendres involving 'chamber', 'smells' and 'heat'. ;)

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 am

Way to cook those electronics, :o will wait for post about electronic fails. :roll:
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

artie11

Post by artie11 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:17 am

That's why I haven't test my theory... Perhaps Mr Toilet could record temps in there :D for say a week :D

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Will let you know if I have any failures. I'll be surprised if it happens....modern micro electronics are fairly robust for temperatures at these levels.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 am

I found this interesting enclosure for the Up!

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... EPS#step11

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Icarus wrote:Will let you know if I have any failures. I'll be surprised if it happens....modern micro electronics are fairly robust for temperatures at these levels.
I beg to differ, the printer here at work has all the same mods as my home machine except for the main motherboard upgrade and it reside in a steel cabinet and the temp gets a little warm in there (do not have exact temp) but it was warm enough that combined with restricted air flow from a misplaced strap to keep machine from hopping about and the flat ribbon cables redirecting air away, the last stepper controller card (of 4) on the left of the main motherboard got too hot causing an "X move error" and after correcting those I got it back up and running.
This a large cabinet (volume) so it doesn't get too hot but it was enough to mess things up, I don't want to think what would happen in a tighter (smaller volume) enclosure.
I'm still not convinced that heating the build volume makes a difference since I have fans and windows open and randomly blowing cool and cold air across things without lift or warp, and I've printed HD base castings and large parts that fill the build plate many times over, no problemo.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

artie11

Post by artie11 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 am

I personally am thinking about an enclosure that goes around the printer but the bottom is raised so as to sit below the printing platform.. Resting on the cover for the electronics... Perhaps even a fan around forcing air to the electronics to keep them safe

I get good prints when they're small but my room tends to get so cold in Victoria that the parts warp and peel and then bleh. I've taken to pausing the print and taping down the supports.. Which cause a layer to delaminate often but still better than a complete waste of a print

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I agree with Drew...
From experience of similar microstepping electronics, they will only run at efficiently if they have good cooling...the UP! ones may have thermal protection but chances are good that you'll blow them up!
I'd just make sure anything with a heatsink on it gets a good air-flow after boxing it in.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 am

Does anyone have any ideas on what the ideal ambient temperature while printing should be. I am researching what would be needed to develop an closure for the Up! that could be regulated to maintain a relatively constant ambient temperature.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 am

Lawrence, I think this will be somewhat dependent on the printing material. Stratasys state ~70C. I think their filament is similar to the OEM UP filament. But for other aftermarket filaments with lower extruding temperatures it would probably be lower.

I'm not convinced that aiming for that temperature is a good idea though, as support and part material could become homogeneous.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:43 am

Put some reflective walls around the platform. It will keep some of the heat in and allow the fumes to escape from the top

artie11

Post by artie11 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:06 am

After another warped part this morning... Luckily not bad enough to be useless.. I'm trying a box enclosure and monitoring the temperature inside the box.. So far during the heatup phase it's a steady 36 inside the box and the build plate looks to be leveling out to 100 well... We'll see though

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Helpful information from this post on the Up! Mini -

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=40

"I finally got around to measuring chamber temp. About 30 minutes into a print I opened the door and shot the black side walls with a laser temp gun. The ambient chamber temp looks to be 40C in a 20C room."

Twurf

Post by Twurf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:29 am

Hi!

just wanted to share my "build chamber"...
It's a wooden frame with acrylic walls. In the back I have a built in "activated charcoal" filter system with a 3 speed fan. With the speed setting I can influence the chamber temp. The intake air is pulled through the openings in the front door close to the bottom. This way the electronics stay near room temp but further up around the extruder it can get significantly warmer (again, depending on the fan speed setting). Works very well for me so far. The charcoal filter is amazing, too. There is absolutely zero ABS smell! Unbelievable! I use 3 layers of the cheap "cut to size" replacement filter normally used for room air purifiers. 5 bucks at Amazon!
BTW...the front door uses neodym magnets to stay closed (feels very cool...like a an Ipad smart cover).
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (107.56 KiB) Viewed 28241 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (112.08 KiB) Viewed 28241 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (115.98 KiB) Viewed 28241 times

forbinone

Post by forbinone » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 am

Heated chambers are not the answer (I think) getting good adhesion for the raft is paramount. I also think you will introduce dimensional inaccuracy, the manufacturers have spent hours trying to compensate for the high expansion rate of ABS to give dimensional accuracy. The worst i have ever seen was the powder based systems spheres came out like eggs.
Last edited by forbinone on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Is there any interest in one of these ? Its built from powder coated 1.6mm alloy and bolts to the existing frame. All the parts are made on the UP, so can be flat packed thin for sending. Door is acrylic.

Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd be interested in this enclosure, is it something you are planning to market? If it is available, please let me know how to get one! Thanks! :)

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:01 am

Hi All,

Here's one I've been working on that incorporates the reel holder on top in an orientation that better suits the movement of the print head. I'll just need to go to the hardware store to source a suitable set of small hinges and a magnetic latch then she'll be ready to go. Just laser cut out of 6mm acrylic and a few screws to hold it all together. Should, hopefully, keep the electronics still nicely ventillated.

Once I have built and tested the first one and made any necessary tweaks, I'll post dxf files for it on Thingiverse once its ready...

Cheers
Olaf
Attachments
enclosure1.jpg
enclosure1.jpg (78.84 KiB) Viewed 28001 times

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:54 am

Hi Olaf

my laser cutter can cut to a maximum 300 mm X 495 mm. I am hoping your panels can be cut within that workspace. The design looks good.

Regards
Lawrence
Melbourne, AUS