Up! Mini 2 + Duet electronics! (Linear rails and real hotbed!)

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
bjorn

Re: Up! Mini 2 + Duet electronics! (Linear rails and real hotbed!)

Post by bjorn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 pm

Bed is all glued up; used some "704" allegedly thermally conductive silicone like stuff that should be good to 250C to bond the heater wire to the heatsink, and covered it all with regular red high temperature silicone, added a layer of ceramic wool for insulation and covered with a silicone impregnated sheet of fiberglass sandwiched onto some aluminium foil.

Phone died while measuring, but it got to 97C in just under 6 minutes in the end. Acceptable. Added a 120C bitmetal thermostat and a 150C thermal fuse and a bond to PE for some safety measures. Just need to attach the new PT100 sensor and wire in the external solid state relay.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Bed hooked up to Duet with an cheap 2 channel SSR module, allows adittion of enclosure heater from left over heater wire.
2019-03-26 17_52_21-data_image_svg+xml;base64,PD94bWwgdmVyc2lvbj0iMS4wIiBlbmNvZGluZz0iVVRGLTgiIHN0YW.png
2019-03-26 17_52_21-data_image_svg+xml;base64,PD94bWwgdmVyc2lvbj0iMS4wIiBlbmNvZGluZz0iVVRGLTgiIHN0YW.png (401.28 KiB) Viewed 583 times

tiertini

Post by tiertini » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 pm

Hey @bjorn, any news on this very interesting project you started? ;)

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 am

Not yet, the belt and idle pulley for the axis that moves the bed broke, and while my quick fix let it get back to work the damage to the belt was so severe it completely failed after a while. And its a weird GT1.5 fixed length belt with matching idle pulley + some other proprietary bits that broke.

Tiertime finally got back to my support ticket, but claims the printers warranty is up after only 8 months, and my local vendor seems to have vanished completely.

I'm not shelling out $66 + DHL shipping for the belt and other parts that broke. Going away for easter, but I'll try to publish the latest config and .stl files for mounting etc when I get back.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 pm

With the printer well and truly hosed, I moved my attention the the CNC router, with duet electronics and some general TLC I got it running, and if we ignore the odd apprentice marks and wafer thin sections that should have some meat to them I got the pockets for the N35UH magnets milled out, and re-surfaced the section for the thermal cutoffs. nice and flat. (maybe I could even machine the other surface flat flat flat flat after stiffening up the CNC router a little!)

Tapped the ends to accept delta style ball joints so the bed can pivot without strain. All that remains is to saffrifice one of the busted flex boards and make some holes to insert some counter sunk screws from under the flex board, up to the new heat bed and grub screw a thumb wheel for adjustments. The screw will then screw into the ball joint pulling the bed closer, with springs providing siffness. It'll cost me 20mm or so Z height, but again no irreversible changes made to the original hardware (except the already busted flex board).

Magnets are due to arrive any day, and i need to rewire the thermal cut offs and make a small bracket to screw them down as well as the thermal adhesive, but all in all the bed is just about all dressed up with nowhere to go.
Attachments
IMG_20190414_214930954.jpg
IMG_20190414_214930954.jpg (871.4 KiB) Viewed 429 times

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri May 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Its been a long journey, but its over now.

Payment provider accepted my claim for all the defects and issued a full refund. Printer is now restored to original condition and awaiting vendor to collect it. I might edit some of the posts and add some bits and pieces over time, but all in all, this thread is dead.

arhi

Post by arhi » Thu May 16, 2019 2:08 am

bjorn wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:29 pm
For me it was Smoothieboard or Duet - and the Duet community just seems to be in the open source spirit and the Smoothieboard borderline arogant.
:D :D :D heard this so many times ... on the other hand, I prefer the smoothie attitude that they don't allow crap into their code and comparing smoothieware code with marlin or duet you see a difference between professional embedded systems developers (smoothie) and a total hack made by ppl that never before did anything embedded :D :D :D :D ...

both choices of mcu's are terrible, but imo duet is worse :( ..

anyhow I have a "real" question here, not just babble ... WHY o why did you staid with PT100 sensors on the UP when you replaced the whole thing?! I understand when ppl (like me) change only the CPU module and use existing electronics, you keep the PT100 so you don't need to rewire everything and on-board pt100 amp will not properly work for some NTC, but since you replaced the whole motherboard too why not just replace the PT100 on the extruder with a standard NTC?! same for the bed :)

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 am

I decided to see what was possible with as little modifications to the original parts as possible. Straight up replacing a part is easy to reverse and in the event of problems the printer could be put back into stock configuration with ease for warranty repairs despite the rather intrusive upgrade.

So while I could absolutely replace the smd thermistor on the bed and in the extruder, PT100 has its advantages when it comes to accuracy (at least compared to the cheapest NTC parts), and they're also better suited for higher temperatures (300+). Havent tried the Up extruder past ABS, but I fully intend to print polycarbonate and nylon so keeping PT100 support seemed like the way to go.

As far as smoothie go, i do have a smoothieboard, that runs the LPC port of GRBL... :lol: