UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:05 pm

brunningm wrote:
I just updated my upstudio and now i'm getting the same issue. I've raised z-axis offset by nearly 5mm but it's still printing too high off the build plate. TT have done something.
Hi Brunningm

Thanks for the confirmation. So the beta works (sort of) and the later revision "official release" doesn't. Awesome Quality Control TT :roll:

Thanks for letting me know I'm not going insane.

Cheers,

Owen S.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:27 pm

I got a response from Tiertime on the Up Box gcode problem.

They say it might be the SD card and that I have to format it as FAT32.

I can try but I doubt the Up Box and Up Box+ have different SD cards/formatting.

I'll keep you updated. Edit: I have checked and the SD card IS ALREADY FAT32 formatted. :?

I have replied to Tiertime it still doesn't work and if they can check this themselves, surely they have a few Up Boxes there to test?

I asked for a test gcode with a safe table height to check communication.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:31 am

OwenSparks wrote:
brunningm wrote:
I just updated my upstudio and now i'm getting the same issue. I've raised z-axis offset by nearly 5mm but it's still printing too high off the build plate. TT have done something.
Hi Brunningm

Thanks for the confirmation. So the beta works (sort of) and the later revision "official release" doesn't. Awesome Quality Control TT :roll:

Thanks for letting me know I'm not going insane.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Hey OwenS,

Got an update from Roman in Support. They're looking into the issue with the software team.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:59 am

brunningm wrote:
Hey OwenS,

Got an update from Roman in Support. They're looking into the issue with the software team.
Great news, thanks.

The more I think about it the more I think the nozzle height should be stored on the SD card in the machine, not in the GCODE.

As it stands we need to create new gcode every time the nozzle is off. I don't know how your machines run but if I want to reprint something I last used a couple of months ago the chance of the nozzle height being the same as it was then is zero.

Same deal if we want to use the same gcode file across different printers. Example today I want 50 of something so I want to print 10 each n 5 machines. As it stands that's probably at least 10 gcode files to get it to work.

Also if you talk to TT support would you mind asking for a definitive yes or no as to whether gcode is meant to work on original UPBOX cpu's?

Cheers,

Owen S.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
brunningm wrote:
Hey OwenS,

Great news, thanks.

The more I think about it the more I think the nozzle height should be stored on the SD card in the machine, not in the GCODE.

As it stands we need to create new gcode every time the nozzle is off. I don't know how your machines run but if I want to reprint something I last used a couple of months ago the chance of the nozzle height being the same as it was then is zero.

Same deal if we want to use the same gcode file across different printers. Example today I want 50 of something so I want to print 10 each n 5 machines. As it stands that's probably at least 10 gcode files to get it to work.

Also if you talk to TT support would you mind asking for a definitive yes or no as to whether gcode is meant to work on original UPBOX cpu's?

Cheers,

Owen S.

Will try and remember to ask about original upbox.

As for how I run..I only have the one, and it's in my bedroom. Mines a novelty not a manufacturing requirement so I'm only generating one file at a time. I can't imagine having to create gcode for each individual printer...must be a nightmare.

And what I think should happen is like you said...upstudio already has my bed levelling and nozzle height offsets. It's also required to run gcode, so why not just apply the offsets from the studio so we don't have to recreate the file individually.

Or better yet....give S3D some code for the printer and let it be controlled directly from S3D...

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm

They released a new beta, 2.1.0.8:

1. Fixed printing issues with G-code file.

I have tried to upload a gcode that works on an Up Box+ but my Up Box still doesn't work with it, ''Failed to load gcode''

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 am

brunningm wrote:

Or better yet....give S3D some code for the printer and let it be controlled directly from S3D...
We can hope :D
UP_3DWP wrote:They released a new beta, 2.1.0.8:

1. Fixed printing issues with G-code file.

I have tried to upload a gcode that works on an Up Box+ but my Up Box still doesn't work with it, ''Failed to load gcode''
Thanks for sharing. I'll test it later, but sorry to hear you're no closer. Come on TT please let us know what is happening.

Cheers, Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 am

The loading file animation in the new Studio is nice.

Owen S.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:54 am

OwenSparks wrote:The loading file animation in the new Studio is nice.

Owen S.
What do you mean by this?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 pm

UP_3DWP wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:The loading file animation in the new Studio is nice.

Owen S.
What do you mean by this?
There's a blue bar that scrolls along the bottom of the screen as you load a file. On a small file if you blink you'll miss it, but on large files it's nice to see. Puts the user's mind at rest that something is happening rather than looking like the SW has hung.
Studio Bar.png
Studio Bar.png (97.28 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
Owen S

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Ah, OK. I tried a few times to see if I missed something and indeed I saw a blue flash ;)

So, I found the upgrade CPU I bought last year (leave no Up'ers behind) and low and behold, my Up Box(+) starts immediately after uploading the gcode. I used your S3D profile but I'm still not sure about that firmware setting. How does that stick? In the main screen I think I changed it back to without the '';''. If you use multiple printers do you have to keep an eye on that?

Still I hope to see support for Up Box printers as I have another one without the new CPU and I don't intend on buying that for ''normal'' price.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 am

UP_3DWP wrote:Ah, OK. I tried a few times to see if I missed something and indeed I saw a blue flash ;)

So, I found the upgrade CPU I bought last year (leave no Up'ers behind) and low and behold, my Up Box(+) starts immediately after uploading the gcode. I used your S3D profile but I'm still not sure about that firmware setting. How does that stick? In the main screen I think I changed it back to without the '';''. If you use multiple printers do you have to keep an eye on that?

Still I hope to see support for Up Box printers as I have another one without the new CPU and I don't intend on buying that for ''normal'' price.
Morning, glad you're getting closer 8-)

I'm a bit lost as to which settings (";") we're discussing, would you mind putting up a screen grab?

Cheers,
Owen S.

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:20 am

UP_3DWP wrote: Still I hope to see support for Up Box printers as I have another one without the new CPU and I don't intend on buying that for ''normal'' price.
Agreed!!

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 am

On page 4 in the gcode manual. Do we have to change this every time we switch 3D printers in Simplify3D? I have more printers but never touched these settings so don't want to mess Up other printers..

[img]
page4.JPG
page4.JPG (133.53 KiB) Viewed 12352 times
[/img]

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:14 am

Ah, understood. (Though your page4.jpg seems to be missing)

Did you load brun's firmware file as well as my profile?

If so you should have a separate firmware drop down file for the UPBOX, so editing this will not mess up your other printer settings.
S3dFirmware.png
S3dFirmware.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 12350 times
Cheers,

Owen S.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 pm

OK, that sounds good. I'll set that up.

I don't know why that text came up there but page4.jpg is the picture that is shown (page 4 of the manual) :)

I have been testing gcode but have found something that I hope can be fixed (by Tiertime). Normally you can calibrate a gcode printer by for instance printing a cube of 20 mm and measure all sides. Then you can change the extrusion multiplier to get the correct values.

But It seems like Up Studio prints it a bit different as I get different measurements. I have the multiplier now at 28.0 and get about 19.9 mm in the Y axis but the X axis widt of the cube is only 19.6 mm.. Maybe there is a small error in the transcoder?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:06 am

UP_3DWP wrote:OK, that sounds good. I'll set that up.

I don't know why that text came up there but page4.jpg is the picture that is shown (page 4 of the manual) :)
Hurrah.
UP_3DWP wrote: I have been testing gcode but have found something that I hope can be fixed (by Tiertime). Normally you can calibrate a gcode printer by for instance printing a cube of 20 mm and measure all sides. Then you can change the extrusion multiplier to get the correct values.

But It seems like Up Studio prints it a bit different as I get different measurements. I have the multiplier now at 28.0 and get about 19.9 mm in the Y axis but the X axis widt of the cube is only 19.6 mm.. Maybe there is a small error in the transcoder?
Sorry, you emailed me about that and I realise now that I didn't reply. Ooops.

The results I saw from your test print were pretty good.

The cube bulged a bit at the corners, shown exaggerated below.
S3D print test   Part Studio 1.jpg
S3D print test Part Studio 1.jpg (26.93 KiB) Viewed 12333 times
It measures 20.1mm across the flats or 20.2 across the lumps, which for me matches what I see with studio.

Height was further off at 20.3mm, hole 9.9mm.

Cheers, Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:37 pm

No worries ;)

Then maybe the latest Up Studio introduced a calibration error. I have seen this before with their other project, the Cetus printer and Cetus Studio. They adjusted something in an update so all axes were the same again after mentioning this.

I can try to print the same gcode in the older beta version and see if it has differences.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:28 pm

So I have reprinted the calibration cube with Up Studio 2.0.1.3 and the Y axis is now 20.10 mm, the X axis 19.95 mm. So there is probably a difference between this and the newest Up Studio. I had the extrusion multiplier set to 28.00 for this ABS I use, maybe just a bit too high but it's in the right range.

It would be great if the vertical calibration would work on gcode also so these differences wouldn't matter and we get correct values - but as far as I know Up Studio doesn't apply these values to gcode, only to STL files (at least this is the case with the Cetus printer and Cetus Studio which support gcode a bit longer).

Also, I noticed the Initialize and Stop button on the Up Box work with gcode but not the rest like Light and Pauze.. Can we get these functions too please or is that difficult with gcode? I guess the filament detection also doesn't work then?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 am

Good stuff.

I wonder if this is a scaling error or an offset?

That is to say if a 20mm cube measures 20.2 will a 200mm cube measure 200.2mm or 202mm?

Owen S.