UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
brunningm

Re: UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Post by brunningm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 am

OK,

So TT-Elaine sent me an email advising to alter the gcode file direct.

The line in Question is G1 Z-208.00 F1000

It's a few lines below the last settings summary line (Large block all beginning with ; )

In Simplify3d, it's currently set to 207.6 for the Z-axis origin offset.

However, when S3D creates the G-Code, it sets this 0.5mm lower than this.

I generated three test files, all with a different Z offset, and all came out with a lower figure in S3D by 0.5

Curiously, raising the Z offset in S3D to 208.5 didn't work.

However, after manually setting a gcode file to 208.5 and getting successful adhesion, I created another gcode file of the same verion, which for some reason, adhered to the bed perfectly.

This would appear to be some setting in simplify3d, and I'm thinking toolhead offset, but it only allows changing in the X and Y, but not Z. So I thought Z-offset, but that didn't work before. Now that Z-Offset appears to be working after manually forcing it through, I set it back to 0 and printing fine.

I'm awfully confused as to why it suddenly started working after manually changing the gcode, and why it wasn't previously.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:26 am

Look at what the UPbox+ is capable of with working gcode. Single wall, Spiral/Vase Mode. NO Infill, no supports, and you can slow the smaller sections down to prevent blobs and that candle melting look.
IMG_20180123_132415.jpg
IMG_20180123_132415.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 9468 times

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 am

Nice job!

We need some chanting and placards:-

"FREE THE UPBOX!"

"What do we want?"
"GCODE SUPPORT"
"When do we want it?"
"2016"

:D :D

It's great to see some nice prints so hopefully this will inspire others to give it a go.

Cheers all,

Owen S.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am

Interestingly, I'm using less filament with gcode than UPstudio. So its good for economy prints.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 pm

So when will gcode work with Up Box? Version 2.2.61.62 of Up Studio STILL says my firmware isn't compatible with gcode!! :x

I have something important to print that requires gcode because Up Studio prints a horrible seam I need to hide and now I still can't use it.

Come on Tiertime, give some info about this. Will we get the update or not? And WHEN?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 am

Well its been a couple of months since TT accepted that there was a problem so you'd think if they were going to do it then it would be out by now. I'm not holding my breath... :|

TBH without machine control I've concluded that GCODE is useless to our business. With multiple printers and wandering nozzle heights having the nozzle offset hard coded into the GCODE is not acceptable.

Hopefully there will be a real release sometime. We asked for years for customisable support and print layer preview and were eventually pleasantly surprised so just perhaps it's coming?

Owen S.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 am

OwenSparks wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 am
Well its been a couple of months since TT accepted that there was a problem so you'd think if they were going to do it then it would be out by now. I'm not holding my breath... :|

TBH without machine control I've concluded that GCODE is useless to our business. With multiple printers and wandering nozzle heights having the nozzle offset hard coded into the GCODE is not acceptable.

Hopefully there will be a real release sometime. We asked for years for customisable support and print layer preview and were eventually pleasantly surprised so just perhaps it's coming?

Owen S.
Yeah, I've stopped using G-Code, and I am just a single printer user. It seems a bit hit and miss to be honest. The firmware doesn't really seem to be coded to handle it well. Sometimes print quality is amazing, other times it looks a bit rough with no setting changes.

Having the supports editor, as basic as they are, in UPstudio does mean I'm not so frustrated with it anymore. I put in a request for some additional infill options, or customisable and UPStudio would suit my needs fine, unless I need something in VASE mode, then I'll fiddle with g-code a bit.

aleyush

Post by aleyush » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am

OwenSparks wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 am
With multiple printers and wandering nozzle heights having the nozzle offset hard coded into the GCODE is not acceptable.
Try M206 command as described here. It works well for my UP mini 2.
In this case, nozzle height appears in single line of gcode, and can be easily changed with notepad.

OwenSparks wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:45 pm
Does the heated bed GCODE work in the UPBOX+?

As far as I'm aware "M190" should wait for bed temperature to reach target temp before continuing, but so far it seems to turn the bed on but then heat up the print nozzle straight away, and then start print when the nozzle is up to temp. I seem to recall similar issues with the original software so wanted to check before I go further. So is this command implemented?

The code seems to turn on the bed just fine, and the target temp seems to be set OK, it just doesn't hold the print until up to temp as it should.
The same with my UP mini 2.
It starts heating, waits for a while (several minutes), and then continues to execute the program in spite of the target temperature is not reached.
Last edited by aleyush on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

brenorbm

Post by brenorbm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello! I bought the update kit for upbox (turning to upbox+), with latest firmware installed that accept GCODE.
I am having problems with S3D, to be exactly, the extruder is far of the bed. I noticed this problem has been reported here, but until now I can't see a solution for this.
Would Like Tiertime give an answer with a solution for this problem.. I spent $400 just to use GCODE.... Please Tiertime.. Any help?

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 am

brenorbm wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm
Hello! I bought the update kit for upbox (turning to upbox+), with latest firmware installed that accept GCODE.
I am having problems with S3D, to be exactly, the extruder is far of the bed. I noticed this problem has been reported here, but until now I can't see a solution for this.
Would Like Tiertime give an answer with a solution for this problem.. I spent $400 just to use GCODE.... Please Tiertime.. Any help?
Have a look at my post here - https://www.up3d.com/community/viewtopi ... 20&t=56128

This is a bit of a 'hack' I suppose, but create your G-Code file, then manually edit it in notepad altering the Z-Height.
After you get it right, it seems to 'stick' and you don't need to do it again. Unsure why that is, but I'm sure it's something to do with Nozzle Heights being stored in UPstudio and not being read correctly from the gcode. As a process, increase the Z-height by 0.2 until it's starting to print on the bed, then 0.1 until you get that nice first layer. Took me around 4 attempts to get it just right.

aleyush

Post by aleyush » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:22 pm

brunningm wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 am
The gcode command 'G28' is to home the axes, and according to the RepRap wiki, ignores any Co-Ordinates. So, for example
'G28 X-2 Y2' (Which is what TT have advised)
Should be the same outcome as
G28 X Y
Tiertime implementation of this command is not standard.
It does nothing without parameters, and acts differently dependent on parameter sign (X equals X2).
Parameters are coordinates to home. Sign of parameter value is direction to move. If direction is incorect, it tries to move outside of the printing area.

For UP mini 2, correct command is "G28 X-2 Y2 Z-2", for other printers it may differ.

By the way, I don't see any need for this command in Simplify3D starting and ending scripts.
UP Studio does not allow to start printing before printer is "initialized", and initialization does exactly this command.
When printing from UP Studio, it does not do reinitialization either on start or on finish.

So, I removed it from my starting and ending scripts.
In the ending script, I added "G0 X-120 Y60 Z120" (like UP Studio does on finish).

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:19 am

On Instagram Tiertime posted something about gcode on the Cetus printer (very cheap Tierime model but good printer).

I replied I would like to finally see gcode on my much more expensive Up Boxes that are supposed to be professional.

They replied again by asking me to do something, I had to search for my firmware version. That is often the case; they reply a question with another question to move me in stead of just answering what they already know. The answer was my firmware is too low, only 346 and higher get gcode!

I am really done with Tiertime like this, I will sell all my Up machines if I can't use gcode and move to Raise3D or maybe Craftbot. I hate to be promised things that will never get released or being lied to. I have spent years and years using, selling and promoting Tiertime but I AM DONE :x

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Tiertime-Elaine wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 am
Hi All,

Please allow me to correct myself here, that the Gcode function in the latest version is not fixed yet.
We are fixing the issues but it did take longer than we thought. I am so sorry for providing this incorrect information and will keep you all posted.

Elaine
@Tiertime-Elaine

You said this would be fixed, on Instagram I was told my firmware is too low. Can you please help us out here and ask to support all Up Box printers with any firmware version so we can finally use gcode too like all Tiertime printers? It should only take a minor fix in Up Studio.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 am

The history of TT GCODE UPBOX support:-

Tiertime-Elaine wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am
Hey Guys,

The machine's CPU version don't make any difference when it comes to supporting G-code printing.

In order to solve this issue, could you guys please reply with more detailed information regarding G-code printing?

Elaine
Tiertime-Elaine wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:44 am
Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a great holiday.
We finally know why UP BOX has not supported G-code printing!!!!

As many of you guys reported, your UP BOX is not operating with G-code file. The reason causing that is incompatible firmware.

UP Studio only supports firmware version great than 346 but not included 346. For those UP BOX' firmware version is lower, the current UP Studio does not support your printer yet.

However, our programmer starts working on this problem now, the upcoming software release will be fixed this bug.

How to check your firmware: Connect your printer, go to Setting-> Printer-> select connected Printer -> Check number of Version
A huge shout-out to @UP_3DWP @OwenSparks for helping us identify and fix this problem.

Cheers,
Elaine
Tiertime-Elaine wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:35 am
kcarbuncle wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:17 am
How about us Plus 2 users? The firmware version on mine is (way) back at 307.....
Hey,
No worries on which model of the printer you had, the software update will apply to whole range of Tiertime UP 3D Printers.

Elaine
Tiertime-Elaine wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 am
Hi All,

Please allow me to correct myself here, that the Gcode function in the latest version is not fixed yet.
We are fixing the issues but it did take longer than we thought. I am so sorry for providing this incorrect information and will keep you all posted.

Elaine
Tiertime-Joseph wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:42 am
Hi 3DWP,

I do not believe the gcode will get supported in the lower version firmware. The best option in my opinion is to upgrade your CPU.

Joseph
Not professional.
Not acceptable.

TT if you're not going to deliver on your promise of fixing the firmware then you need to supply replacement PCB's, it really is that simple.

Owen Sparks.

aleyush

Post by aleyush » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:06 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:10 am
Not professional.
Not acceptable.

TT if you're not going to deliver on your promise of fixing the firmware then you need to supply replacement PCB's, it really is that simple.

Owen Sparks.
Do not be sad, you do not really need to buy CPU replacement - it also does not work properly with the new CPU. :D

P.S. Had a long talk with support on the problems. Their answer was: "will not be solved in short time".
So, I do not hope it will ever work as expected. :shock:

effgee

Post by effgee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:02 am

Wow, last correspondence July last year.

Do I take this to mean Up Box will never properly support G-code ?
Tiertime as stopped responding ?
All too hard ?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

Looks like it!

I think they over-reached with promising to support new functions on machines that you couldn't update the firmware on. :cry:
We're told the new machines (UP300) support GCODE, but we've heard that before...

O.S.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 am

Ancient article, but might be of interest if they get g-code working. Although Tiertime hotend doesn't have a lot of clearance for curved prints.

https://hackaday.com/2016/07/27/3d-prin ... layer-fdm/

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm eagerly awaiting UP300 Gcode support, though a DuetWifi is starting to look like a very tempting alternative... Would have to crimp up a few connector adapters and put in the axis offsets/directions. PID tune the heatbed and hotend - all easy enough. The tricky bit is not being able to mount the LCD inside UP300.

Someone remind me again why they have to keep it all locked down?

Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 am

Any News about the Up300 and GCode?
Or Infos about Duet2 Wifi??