New software?

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

New software?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Hi folks.

Has anyone seen / used the new Makerbot software?

I mention it as it has a load of features that we really should have with the UP.

(1) Individual settings for each part on a build plate. (Infill / shells etc.)
(2) Infill from 1 to 100 percent.
(3) Import of CAD files so no more STL's required.
(4) Import of assemblies not just individual components.
(5) Multiple build plates. (So you can import one assembly and split it over several plates, either as sequential prints on one printer or sent to different printers.)
(6) Lay flat.

I'm sorry to say if Studio was a way behind the old sw it's light years behind this. Are these features likely to come for us? TT really needs to invest in this aspect of their business it would seem.

Regards,

Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: New software?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Oh, and full preview of layers, support, shells, head path yada-yada is also included...

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 pm

I guess it's about who is the target market for TT?

I'm an intermediate enthusiast. I make some stuff of my own design, and I want to be able to print stuff with as little hassle as possible.

Out of your list what would really benefit me would be
2. and 6. (because I just had a part I designed which I couldn't lay flat in Fusion 360 right just now! Used Microsoft's Builder to lay it flat before re exporting the STL)

Although I suppose a user of the higher end Up Box would benefit from what you've mentioned.

In any case, with the Up Mini 2 and the usage of the fragile but extremely convinent Flexboard build plate, I've been enjoying very decent turn around for prints. Hoping to get even better times once my BuildTak sheets arrive.

I'm really surprised at what we don't get the support previews though after so long, I'd really like to know when supports are printing.

But let's all just be thankful that we can finally custom adjust nozzle and bed temps.. :P

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:01 am

Yep I've used the Makerbot software before. It is also the favourite of my work colleague who changes absolutely nothing and just wants to press print.

I understand that TT may not want to over-complicate the software, but it would be nice to have some of the things you mentioned as OPTIONS at least. No, it doesn't mean that every user would have the need for them, but if there could be an 'advanced' tab or something that would allow us to change things if required but that also could be ignored (so that the default for them was off), that would be fab.

The main things that would really improve the up software for me are 2 and 6, but a preview is also very high up on my list.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 pm
Hi folks.

Has anyone seen / used the new Makerbot software?

I mention it as it has a load of features that we really should have with the UP.

(1) Individual settings for each part on a build plate. (Infill / shells etc.)
(2) Infill from 1 to 100 percent.
(3) Import of CAD files so no more STL's required.
(4) Import of assemblies not just individual components.
(5) Multiple build plates. (So you can import one assembly and split it over several plates, either as sequential prints on one printer or sent to different printers.)
(6) Lay flat.

I'm sorry to say if Studio was a way behind the old sw it's light years behind this. Are these features likely to come for us? TT really needs to invest in this aspect of their business it would seem.

Regards,

Owen S.
Well this is a post from 2016 but no (6) is done, and it looks like we may have (5) coming but only the new machines.

Hopefully good things to come.

Owen S.