UP studio software queries/suggestions

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
vmstech
UP studio software queries/suggestions

Post by vmstech » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:27 am

Hello all,

My new UP box arrived on Monday which I was SUPER excited about (I previously used a Wanhao Duplicator 4 and Simplify 3D software). The printer itself looks great (there's so many things that light up, its very exciting :D ) and seems like it can work well: I’ve had a few problems with it to do with the automatic bed levelling/nozzle height, but once those values are set correctly (which I’m doing manually at the moment, involving a lot of shouting at the printer) it does print well.

My main issue is the software. I straight away downloaded the UP studio software, and have basically been guessing my way around its functions (I'm hoping the manual for it will be released soon!) I can understand that it has been released fairly recently so obviously there is going to be some teething issues, but after downloading the UP 2.18 software as well to compare, it seems that there are some functions that would be really useful. It might just be because I’m a simplify 3D user, so I am used to being able to change basically every possible setting that you could think of, and although I can see that the UP software is trying to simplify things down as much as possible so that you don’t need to edit all these settings, there are some things that I think would be useful to optimise printing. (I apologise in advance because after reading through the forums I can see that some of these things have already been brought up!)

So here is my list of suggestions/questions...

INFILL PERCENTAGE: Is it possible that you could select infill by percentage rather than by one of the four pictures? This would give more options, as sometimes I’ll prefer a setting inbetween two of them.

INFILL PATTERN: Would it be possible to have different infill patterns, such as a hexagon, as this is known for creating stronger parts?

PREHEATING: Why does the bed not heat up when the extruder does when it is getting ready to print a part? I’ve found that even after doing the 15 min preheat on the printer and when selecting the preheat box in the print settings, it STILL isn’t up to temperature when it tries to print the first layer. I am currently printing in ABS and not being up to temperature is causing the edges of the part to warp.

SIMPLIFY 3D COMPATIBILITY: Will it ever be possible to use Simplify 3D with the UP box? When I contacted Simplify3D they said that "UP currently uses a proprietary format for all communication with their printers, so they are not compatible with any third party programs, including Simplify3D."

FULL SCREEN: Why does the software have to take up the entire screen and get rid of the bottom bar? It’s really frustrating as I use 2 screens and it will only open on the main one and won’t let me move it over to the other. It also means that I can't switch between programs very easily.

PLACE PART BY FACE: I don’t think the software has yet imported a file in the desired orientation, so I am currently fumbling through the rotate options to choose the correct one and then autoplacing the part. Would it be possible to have an option, similar to autoplace, that allows you to choose a face of a part to be flat on the bed?

RAFT OPTIONS: Personally I am not a big fan of rafts, as I can never seem to get them off my parts! But would it be possible to have some more raft options, e.g. the number of layers in a raft, the infill of it etc.

BOARD CHOICE: I noticed that in the UP 2.18 software that when auto-levelling, you could choose between using a flex board or a perf board. Why was this option removed in UP studio? Is it just not an option that influences anything?

FIRST LAYER SPEED: The first layer of a print is obviously the most important. Would it be possible to have an option to choose the speed of the first layer speed? I’ve found in the past that printing the first layer at half the speed really helped it to stick to the bed and give a good overall print.

SKIRTS: Is it possible to create a skirt around a part? I found this was quite useful to check the bed was level before my part even started printing, and also that it helped to prime the extruder a bit so I knew I was going to get a smooth line of filament.

PRINT PREVIEW: In the print preview, could it possibly show a quick version of how the printer will actually print each layer? I haven’t used support material yet, but I think if you were it would be good to see where it would actually go?

COOLING OPTIONS: Is there any specific cooling options within the software and if not, could they be added in? E.g. being able to adjust the fan speed for the first few layers.

I apologise for such a hefty list, I just tried to combine all of my thoughts about the software into one post! As I said previously, I am pretty new to this printer and the software, so I’m sure it can do more than I think it can and that there are some things that I have just missed completely!

I would really appreciate any feedback, suggestions, tips etc. Feel free to tell me that all my ideas are awful haha! :lol:

I look forward to hopefully speaking to some of you soon: I get the feeling that I am going to become a regular on this forum!

Many thanks,
Heather :)

P.S. Just in case it is important, my printer is an UP box, my PC is using Windows 10 and I am using the UP Studio software version 1.0.0.4

mrt

Re: UP studio software queries/suggestions

Post by mrt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Some great points Heather

I am looking forward to Tiertimes comments on some of these.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Thanks for you suggestions, some of the points you mentioned are being addressed currently, while others will be on the wish list of our software team.

I am wondering, after using Simplify 3D and Wanhao, why you choose UP printers? Which obviously has more limitation in terms of print parameter settings. :?: :P :idea:

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:49 am

Hi Jason!

Glad that some of the points are being addressed: I look forward to the next software update :D

I chose an UP box as it had really great reviews and due to the automatic bed levelling/nozzle height, as the company hoped this would help make my life easier. I honestly had no idea what the software would be like: I thought that I might still be able to use Simplify 3D along with the UP box.
I think I just need to get my head around the software a bit more and get used to it! I can see that it has really great potential though and I really like the design of it.

Heather

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:33 am

I'll second all the points made.

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:16 am

Excellent points made.

I gave the new Studio software a go and personally I am not a fan (the current software is better). The newer software is hard to navigate around and I can't bloody find simple options.

A few things I have requested in an older post and the original post here has requested.
- Display temperatures on the bottom bar.
- Ability to choose infill as a percentage
- Ability to turn off support
- Printer to be compatible with other software!

I hope one day we can use the Up Mini's with Simplify 3D. It's a great little printer but I hate how it's locked down by propriety software. When I decide to upgrade my printer I know I not be getting another Up branded one.

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback and support guys, glad that I'm not the only one with these thoughts! :D :D

@04Stefan07 - there is an option that can be ticked in the print preferences called "no support". I have no idea if it actually works but it is there and might be worth a try!
I agree with your points also. And you're right, it is very limiting not being able to use other software such as Simplify 3D and unfortunately Tiertime are going to end up losing customers because of this and it will not appeal to the more advanced user. Which I am genuinely sad about as I really like my UP Box and I think some aspects of the design are really clever!! :(

Personally, I prefer the look of the UP studio software, I found the old software a bit too primitive (kinda looks like it was designed for Windows XP) whereas the new design is a lot cleaner and more modern looking, even if features and tools aren't as easy to find.

Another quick point that’s annoying me: why do I have to log in every time I open up studio? Even though “remember me” is ticked, it calls up my login details but I still have to click “sign in” to use the software properly. Sorry, I know it’s only a little thing, but it’s starting to bug me! :|

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 pm

vmstech wrote:Thanks for the feedback and support guys, glad that I'm not the only one with these thoughts! :D :D

@04Stefan07 - there is an option that can be ticked in the print preferences called "no support". I have no idea if it actually works but it is there and might be worth a try!
I agree with your points also. And you're right, it is very limiting not being able to use other software such as Simplify 3D and unfortunately Tiertime are going to end up losing customers because of this and it will not appeal to the more advanced user. Which I am genuinely sad about as I really like my UP Box and I think some aspects of the design are really clever!! :(

Personally, I prefer the look of the UP studio software, I found the old software a bit too primitive (kinda looks like it was designed for Windows XP) whereas the new design is a lot cleaner and more modern looking, even if features and tools aren't as easy to find.

Another quick point that’s annoying me: why do I have to log in every time I open up studio? Even though “remember me” is ticked, it calls up my login details but I still have to click “sign in” to use the software properly. Sorry, I know it’s only a little thing, but it’s starting to bug me! :|
I put a separate post about login... basically unless compelling need... get rid of it IMO :o

I too like the UP but I really don't like the hardware and software being locked down tighter than <insert some the "tight as" sayings>. I'm a big boy now so if I tinker I know I've voided the warranty. But if details were made available I'D like to add a few more features like OLED screen with printer status, work area light, a few strategic temperature sensors and even a big red button with <STOP> on it.

:mrgreen: Already planning for if the electronics fry... basically will replace with an Arduino Due (32 bit 84Mhz), RAMPS and use 3rd party software AND do all my dream mods.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:45 am

Hi,

we are trying to fix the login issue now, it will be fixed in next update. :D