bed heating

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
arhi

bed heating

Post by arhi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:29 pm

studio messed up the bed heating. attm the situation is

2.18 - I give it "heat for 1 hour" -> it gets up to 100C, but when start printing it drops down to 50C and it's sitting at 50C, not sitting any more at 90-100C as it used to..

studio 1.0 - I set the temp (90C on ABS, 100C on ABSY I defined, 90C on ABSX I defined..) for the bed, I click on "preheat", but the bed heater only starts when I click "print" and it starts printing as soon as the nozzle reach the ~270C .. bed is around 51-52C then .. it continues to heat up the bed and it eventually finish at 90C ...

so studio is behaving bit better then 2.18 as it eventually reach set temp, but the preheat ain't working?! I seen here twice written that it "does" but not on my up 2 plus.. maybe I need to upgrade firmware? major issue with low start temp (50C) is the raftless printing / poor adhesion so I get lifts :(

as you can see on the attached image, it started printing (you see % for temp and not C any more) and you see bed is at 60%
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (74.15 KiB) Viewed 17470 times

vmstech

Re: bed heating

Post by vmstech » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:19 am

Yep I've been having exactly the same problem! I don't understand why it doesn't heat the bed up to the correct temperature when it heats the extruder, because the bed isn't hot enough when it decides its ready to start printing :(

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 am

Yes... I have the same problem. TBO I only just started using my UP again recently cause issues controlling the temperature.

Now that I can set rep-rap filament to 230c it works great. YES - the UP filament is better but for prototyping I really needed a cheaper alternative.

For the custom rep-rap I set the nozzle to 230c and the bed to 90c however as stated... once the nozzle gets to the determined temperature the print start regardless of the print bed current temperature.

I guess it is possible to pause before anything is printed and manually decide when to start as an interim solution?

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:12 am

I will report this to software team and keep you posted about this issue.
Thank you guys! :P

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote:I will report this to software team and keep you posted about this issue.
Hi Jason.

At the risk of sounding critical.

Sorry, but if I were a software developer for TT the first thing I'd do every morning on arriving at work is read what's on this forum (or a translation of it if that were to be required.)

Why is it that you have to inform them of issues?

Cheers,

Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 am

hoek67 wrote: I guess it is possible to pause before anything is printed and manually decide when to start as an interim solution?
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this today and I can confirm that if you pause the print then the bed will keep heating up. At least this works as a temporary solution for now, although obviously the sooner this gets sorted the better, as it isn't particularly practical to do for every print.

Cheers,
Heather

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:19 am

OwenSparks wrote:
Tiertime-Jason wrote:I will report this to software team and keep you posted about this issue.
Hi Jason.

Sorry, but if I were a software developer for TT the first thing I'd do every morning on arriving at work is read what's on this forum (or a translation of it if that were to be required.)

Cheers,

Owen S.
The team has its own agenda for development, so they may not able attend to every customer request or bug.
For this particular one, they cannot replicate the bug on their machines after some attempts, I will see if I can catch it.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:
Hi Jason.

Cheers,

Owen S.
The team has its own agenda for development, so they may not able attend to every customer request or bug.
For this particular one, they cannot replicate the bug on their machines after some attempts, I will see if I can catch it.
Hi Jason.

I take your point regarding not being able answer every little query and wouldn't expect that. However I would have thought that a dev would at the very least create a user for the forum, even if he or she doesn't post and doesn't even declare that they're from TT, just so they can see what's going on.

If there is a forum on a company's own website discussing problems and improvements (and the good stuff and successes of a product) then I'd say it's almost negligent not to read it.

Just my take on things.

Regards,

Owen S.

arhi

Post by arhi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote: The team has its own agenda for development, so they may not able attend to every customer request or bug.
not the first nor the last team .. when I personally do development for $$ I want to be as much as possible separated from users and I want to see features and enhancements (I don't make bugs so those never happen :D :D :D ) trough the company system (redmine, github, jit ..) but not directly trough users as someone else needs to sift real one from fake ones, important ones from non-important ones etc.. they have to pass by "bugs team" and "business development team" before they come to "dev team" .. made sense always and not something I'd change .. I can do direct interaction with users on a small open source project but even on bigger open source projects devs don't usually check bugs system users are filling.
Tiertime-Jason wrote: For this particular one, they cannot replicate the bug on their machines after some attempts, I will see if I can catch it.
the preheat? what machine they are testing on? what firmware version? maybe that's the issue, we don't have latest firmware on our machines so preheat fails to work.

ROM 6.090
Firmware 3.22

preheat problem - EVERY time, nothing to "reproduce" happens always

is there a newer firmware?

Diego.Giovany

Post by Diego.Giovany » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:44 pm

+1 for preheat, it's not working on bolth, mac and windows version.

Another bug easy to reproduce, if the print object has only 2 walls (like hollow cylinder, for example), the seam is very very bad, on 2.17/2.18 it not used to happen.

Att.:
Diego

arhi

Post by arhi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Diego wrote:+1 for preheat, it's not working on bolth, mac and windows version.
what printer & rom/firmware you have?

do you have same problem with 2.18? On mine 2.18, after I installed studio, the bed heating is weird, the "preheat" does work but as soon as it starts printing the bed temp starts dropping and is kept at 50C and not 100C ?!

Diego wrote: Another bug easy to reproduce, if the print object has only 2 walls (like hollow cylinder, for example), the seam is very very bad, on 2.17/2.18 it not used to happen.
I didn't notice this one with studio, can you share object you had issues with so I can try too?

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:39 am

The preheat function is rather simple in the latest version.
It will preheat for 15min maximum, even when the bed temp did not reach the target temperature.
If the target temp is reached within 15minutes, print head will start to heat up when bed temp is 10C below target temp.

For ABS, when preheated, you will see the bed temp reach to about 50C-60C when the print head start to heat up.
For PLA, as the target bed temp is about 50C, the print head will heat up pretty much as soons as the bed reach 40C, so this may make you think the preheat is not working.

tel

Post by tel » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 am

Jason
The preheat function doesnt work at all in 1.0.0.4 on the UpBox. Even when selecting the preheat function, it just starts heating the nozzle and as soon at the nozzle hits temperature it starts to print no matter what the bed temp is, just as if it wasnt selected. Or are you talking about what will happen in the next version of Studio.

Terry

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 am

Jason,

I have been having exactly the same problem as Terry. It does not wait 15 mins for the bed to heat before it prints: as soon as the nozzle is at temp then it starts printing (even with the preheat box ticked).

Heather

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 am

Sorry guys, we just found the problem.
The software team just confirmed that the preheat function is not compatible with older machines :shock: , eg. UP BOX, UP mini, UP Plus2
The preheat function can be used on mini 2, UP BOX+ and other newer models.

In the next software update the preheat function may be removed for older machines. We are trying to figure out a way to add back the preheat for older models.

tel

Post by tel » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote:Sorry guys, we just found the problem.
The software team just confirmed that the preheat function is not compatible with older machines :shock: , eg. UP BOX, UP mini, UP Plus2
The preheat function can be used on mini 2, UP BOX+ and other newer models.

In the next software update the preheat function may be removed for older machines. We are trying to figure out a way to add back the preheat for older models.
UP BOX+? Didn't know there was an UP BOX+. What has changed?

arhi

Post by arhi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:36 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote: In the next software update the preheat function may be removed for older machines. We are trying to figure out a way to add back the preheat for older models.
effectively making the older machines not able to use studio ?!

I don't care much as I already solved the problem with external heater but wtf?! that's not the way to keep the customers satisfied and recommending your devices to new users... I will have a hard time recommending UP! to a new user now, and I convinced at least 10 ppl to go with UP! and not with some other locally available printers that are cheaper with bigger print volume and opensource..

ideas108

Post by ideas108 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Does this mean that the versions like 2.18 will receive further development software wise or do I now have a 3k approx in Australia up box that can do nothing more with and just use the existing software

If the studio software will have the useful stuff for newer machines and the software can not determine what machine it is easily - it will be clever software if the developers can nail it then can I respectfully ask for consideration of an upgrade path of some sort for the original series of up boxes

I realise hardware has a limited lifespan but just on 12 months??? That's disappointing or will we have a hardware/firmware upgrade path. Realising that current models can not use a much requested feature by users will not sit well with people who are like me thinking about purchasing newer gear from your brand. My purchase is now on hold until I get a better sense of the longevity software wise of the 2 Up Mini's and Up Box.

Maybe I am over the top but I spent a lot of research talked to lots of people and took the marketing at face value to have one of the first machines in OZ and as previously posted had a lot of trouble with it and now with the studio software I am getting good feedback from users.

There are smarter people than me on this forum and I will be more than happy to pull my head in if I am wrong.

Regards

John

arhi

Post by arhi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:14 pm

not sure why they would not be able to know what machine there is as studio properly reads the serial number, the rom version, the firmware version ... the UP2PLUS for sure have support for heated bed in terms of it has a heater and it has a sensor and it can heat up to some value .. so it's either a sending right command to firmware or updating firmware to accept right command but should be simple ... I know some of the "boxed" printers don't have the sensor but only have a thermostat glued on the underside stopping the bed at 100C but afaik UP2PLUS has the PT100 or similar sensor... so it's just the "want to support it" or "don't want to support it" - there's no technical difficulty ..

dunno about others.. but even there a "timed preheat" should be available, like 2.18 allows you to "preheat for 1 hour" why's that "so hard to implement" in studio ?! .. theres loads of free room, add a button "on/off" bed heater, and we can turn on bed heating an hour before we start printing (like with 2.18) ..

mrt

Post by mrt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Having Preheating for older models in Up Studio is essential and a deal breaker without it
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au