BUG REPORT V2.18 WIN 10 and WIN 7 many crashes

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

BUG REPORT V2.18 WIN 10 and WIN 7 many crashes

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed May 11, 2016 8:51 am

Hi folks,

Is anyone else having problems with 2.18 on Win 10? I'm curious as to whether i have a flaky PC of if the SW is unstable.

(Problem 1) Many times on print preview the part will slice, then crash (with a UP3D has stopped working window thrown), before it gets to converting the layers. The model has no red areas indicating a problem and is watertight.

(Problem 2) Often even if it does print from the STL files, if I save it as a project to reprint more copies later then the project file fails in the same way. This is hugely irritating, especially if printing a bed of multiple parts as the auto place feature is almost useless. (It seems to think placing parts outside the print are is sensible.)

With Up Studio Beta looking pretty awful and 2.18 crashing I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Regards,

Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkiwins

Re: BUG REPORT V2.18 WIN 10 many crashes

Post by Darkiwins » Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 pm

i dont have any problems with 2.18 and im using it on windows 10 to.

to Problem 1: when exactly is the programm crashing? on slicing the print ( than maybe your file is to big? or the file is damaged? ) or on sending the file to printer? ( than maybe your cable is damaged? your USB port? or the micro sd card inside the printer )

but overall

sounds like you updated your software and got problems since then?

maybe just install 2.17 or any older version and try it

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu May 12, 2016 9:28 am

Hi darkwins and thanks for the reply.

It doesn't happen on everything but happens a lot.

It's always at exactly the same place. Click OK on the print preview window and information is displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen. In this instance 269 of 269 layers, then bang it dies with the "stopped working" message, rather than the "converting layer xxx" that we expect. It's always on the last layer of the xxx of xxx layers right before the "converting".

I've only ever used this printer with 2.18 and Win10. We have another box in a different building, I'll try the same files on that but I bet they're OK. Some even came from over there. The upstudio beta also manages to generate a preview OK from the same file. The last one is the simplest thing I've ever tried to print, just a cylinder with a hole through the middle.

Cheers,

Owen s.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu May 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Just printed one of the problem parts with Studio 0.1 and it worked fine, but in 2.18 it crashes every time.

O.S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri May 13, 2016 7:35 am

This just gets more weird.

If I place the part along with another different larger part on the bed in 2.18 then the software doesn't crash.

If I put it on the bed with nothing else in 2.18 it crashes.

If I put 3 copies of the part on the bed in 2.18 it crashes.

If I print it on its own in Studio it works.

I'm convinced the model and printer are fine but 2.8 is bugged.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Congreve

Post by Congreve » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Update to this with my own recent experience:

I created an STL file of a figurine with a loop in the back and encountered the same crash when trying to print preview it (the original figurine without the loop worked fine on the software before and after the crash). This was using version 2.18 on Windows 7 x64.

I tried printing it with another object that worked normally (as mentioned in the prior post). It successfully sliced and converted the layers on the problematic model, then on the normal model, then crashed. So I'm guessing that it successfully converts the layers all the time, but that step runs too fast to usually observe, then it crashes on some sort of finalization step of the print preview.

I installed Studio 1.0 and tried it with that, which yielded the same crash behavior.

I then installed 2.17 and it previewed properly, so I'm using that now when I need to print it, and I assume that this approach would probably work for others encountering this problem (provided they don't need a feature that was added after 2.17).

I don't know. I agree that this is weird. Maybe there's some code in the newer versions that crashes when it tries to print something topographically equivalent to a donut, but even that's a weird explanation.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks William.

Just in case it's useful to anyone else having problems:-

Studio prints still not great for me and to make it worse I've just had yet another crash with 2.18 trying to print stuff I've already printed once today with 2.18 so have uninstalled 2.18 and installed 2.17 instead...

...the STL's that crashed every time in 2.18 now work fine.

TFFT.

If anyone knows what changed in 2.17 to 2.18 or can point me towards some release notes I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Owen S

tbatbatba

Re: BUG REPORT V2.18 WIN 10 and WIN 7 many crashes

Post by tbatbatba » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 am

I got my first crash today after 3 years of perfect operation. The crash happens when I try to print or preview a specific version of a model. After slicing all the layers, it simply crashes without sending to the printer or giving the time estimate. One version with a smaller dimension prints without problems. But a second version with a wall with a larger dimension of a few millimeters causes the crash. But a third version where I removed a radius from the wall, so that the corner is instead a sharp 90 degrees, prints without crashing.

It is v2.18 on Win 10. In the past I installed Studio, but decided to return to the old software. I can't find the new Studio software because the Teirtime website doesn't function anymore.