Sorry Up Studio = Patronising.

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Sorry Up Studio = Patronising.

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:11 am

Hi folks, just spent a while playing with the Studio Beta.

Fist impression is it's clean and elegant..

...right up until you use the new "wheel" menus.

Monitors are getting bigger and higher resolution yet software developers seem to want to put less and less buttons on a screen.

Every function is buried behind another menu. Want to move something? First select move menu, need to tweak the view then go to view menu, then back to move then view, then move, aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrg, lost the will to live already.

Please take this as the constructive criticism it's meant to be:-

Sorry but I detest this interface with a passion.

Your users are not 6 years old. We will not be frightened if there are more than 6 buttons on a screen at once.

I appreciate you can't please all the people all the time and 3d printers are becoming more common so the sw needs to accommodate a broad spectrum of users. However most of us are engineers, designers, techies / nerds so we don't want "dumbed-down" software. Think CAD station = good vs Windows 8 touchscreen "finger painting" interface = bad.

Cheers,

Owen S

Tiertime-Jason

Re: Sorry Up Studio = Patronising.

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:36 am

Hi Owen,

Personally I totally agree with you.

mrt

Post by mrt » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:09 pm

The latest Beta seems to confirm that Tiertime are not listening to the user base that clearly reject and do not like the new interface.
We see no evidence or hint of any functions like Nozzle Temp Control that users have almost petitioned for or any of the other functions that have been requested.

If the task of creating suitable new software is too challenging then perhaps you should seriously consider opening up to simplify 3d as an optional interface and solution.

At least this way you satisfy the novice user and also the Power user that love your hardware but find the software to limited.

Tiertime I urge you to start taking user requests more seriously.

I am really interested in what other UP Users think.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks guys, nice to know I'm not alone.

The temptation for new companies is always to focus on the hardware as the firmware and software can always be "sorted out later" and "upgraded", however this sets a poor tone for the customers. As does the WIN 3.1-ish current SW or the WIN 8-ish beta.

In the company I work for new features (sometimes specific to a single customer) are developed daily by a small team and are often available overnight.

The CAD SW I now use (OnShape) is cloud based and has an upgrade with new features every two weeks. Support tickets can be raised from within the application to request new features. A really slick experience that inspires trust with users. 10/10.

It would seem that the commitment for that kind of approach is lacking here. It's a shame as other departments clearly work well. The hardware seems fine, but perhaps on balance less time and money spent on pretty orange accent pieces and more time on software would be an advantage?

On that front the pretty orange bits on the UP-Bot are nice, it would make a sensible marketing ploy to have filament available in this colour...

[Hypocrite mode /off]

Cheers,

Owen S.

steelmans

Post by steelmans » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Agree with the comments here. This is the last UP printer I will buy. They just don't listen!

I recently bought the Cubicon Single that has a slicer (based on Cura) that is superb but they are going to improve it anyway. It has all the necessary controls but some people wanted more so they worked with Simplify3D to create a profile for their slicer.

Tiertime should watch and learn.

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Thank you for the comments.

The UP Studio is a new release developed from the scratch, and lots of work when you rewrite the software. Our first goal is make the final release on all the platforms.

Once we achieve that stage, new things will come out in a more expected manner. We understand the process has been slow, but trust us, our engineers are working hard on it.

Thank you for being patience.

Joseph

mrt

Post by mrt » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 pm

Joseph

Wouldn't it be better to just say to your customers that you will or will not be adding certain functions like Nozzle Temp control.

It will help sales right now rather than lose them!! You know what is achievable and what is planed.

After all you release details of new hardware UP Box and UP Mini 7 moths before release why not the software which is your biggest problem area.

Its time to advise your customers and stop aggravating them.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 am

Yes, Mr. mrt, appreciate your suggestion.

As you may have known, UP has been uniquely positioned in the 3D printer market. In our design philosophy, the fewer the options, the better.

Since the very first version of UP, we did not offer the option for users to play with the temperature, and many releases since, we have been doing the same. Lots of people liked it, and many didn't. Within our company, Tiertime, we have the same confrontation, yes, confrontation, sometime very hostile, very clearly divided groups. :D :D :D

Things will change.

Our final release of UP Studio will come very soon, probably at the similar time of the first shipment with mini2, the end of May, or around that time. You will find the temperature control enabled and more. Once we have the stable release out the door, many new features will be added later on very soon.

Hope this clears the doubt.

Happy printing

Joseph

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:43 am

Hi Joseph

That is excellent news, and will really help customers get the best out of their UP printers. I know I'm looking forward to it ... :D :D
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mrt

Post by mrt » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am

Hi Joseph

Thank you. Tiertimes decision to add temp control to the software has just added new life to the UP Brand and your decision to share this information with the users will no doubt help users that are sitting on the fence make the decision to purchase an UP Printer now.

Well done, you have a loyal reseller network around the world that can use this information to further improve the brand and sales.

Please keep sharing what you can as it will install further confidence with UP Users and help resellers with current sales.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions

heady

Post by heady » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:05 am

These are very nice informations.

ideas108

Post by ideas108 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:28 am

Hi All

I must add my 2 cents worth.

Whilst I respect and understand the comments about the technical needs of the software for those with a far greater skill set than mine at this stage please do not forget the education Market it is huge.

Why do I make this point in the classes we will run its about exposing people to how it works - load a design in click and print

The next level will be the more technical stuff

The hardest thing for Tiertime will be to find the balance to satisfy all levels of user

For us I have a dream to be able to allow a library user to borrow a 3d printer with simple instructions so it needs to be easy for those starting out- its a way off but who knows :)

kind regards

John

tel

Post by tel » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:10 am

The easy answer for this is to open the Up printers to allow the use of other slicers like Simplify 3D.

mrt

Post by mrt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Ideas108

This can be easily achieved by having some recommended defaults like they do now. Tiertime have made the correct decision to add more printer control as they clearly understand their Hardware is good but the software is not suitable for the serious user. Printers and Filaments are changing at a rapid rate and Tiertime must make changes in line with what the market wants or the UP brand will become obsolete.

I would not worry to much about future versions being user friendly.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 am

Tiertime-Joseph wrote:Our final release of UP Studio will come very soon, probably at the similar time of the first shipment with mini2, the end of May, or around that time. You will find the temperature control enabled and more.
Joseph
Hi Joseph, is it nearly the end of May yet :?:

Hoping for new Up Studio release, to ease my printing woes.

Cheers,

Owen S.

arhi

Post by arhi » Fri May 27, 2016 10:07 pm

OwenSparks wrote:Thanks guys, nice to know I'm not alone.
alone :D nope, you are not alone!
OwenSparks wrote: and more time on software would be an advantage?
iirc tiertime is also making big professional printers for years and this 2.xx that we use is a dumbed down version of the print app they use for the big machines for years .. the software is not bad at all, the removable support was years in front of all other slicers when UP! printer came out .. if you remember back then you had only few ones and only skeinforge actually had "usable" support support and it was awful, removing it was terrible ... new slicers that came after all "borrowed" ideas from UP! software on how to do better support .. so now we have slicers that do support as good as UP! (even better if you know how to use them) and give more control to every aspect of the print.. UP! software, that was the best on the market at one time even with all the crippling tiertime did is now way below the average as in number of years since UP! came out number of slicers, both foss and commercial came to be and they are getting better every day, while UP! software stays stagnant / goes backward (the studio is imo huge step backwards) ... looking at studio, I understand that "modern hype" is, both with win/osx and even lin (gnome3 specifically), to make dumbed down interface for morons that's same on mobile device and on the desktop... I understand that's hype and I can understand that to make sense for a calculator app or some platform game, word editor.... but we'r talking CAM app that's running 99.9% on the same box where a CAD app is running designing those objects... my desktop where I work is 3 monitors, each 27" 2560x1440 resolution, do you really think I run 3x27" and want to have "same interface as on my 6" mobile phone" ?!?!?!?

I understand tiertime needs to rewrite the slicer as they are adding more machines and they are very different from the "big beasts" and they want to have a separate sw line for the small printers from the big ones .. but the person who decided to go with this metro crap look, no window mode, no minimize, teletabis interface... dunno ... you might want to show your designers how a proper workstation looks like, it's very different from a fscking mobile phone!

Tiertime-Joseph

Post by Tiertime-Joseph » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Owen,

Still have to wait for a couple weeks for the final release of the mini 2.

It will be ready soon.

Sorry for the delay

Joseph