Release of finalised v1.18

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
roller

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by roller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:10 am

I never saw the pausing before with the Beta not even when platform leveling calibration was used - it seems to be a new issue.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:50 pm

LonV wrote:I have no idea if what I'm about to say is accurate :D, but I believe this is due to the platform calibration. During the printing of raft it's adjusting the z height based on the calibration settings, resulting in the pausing you're seeing. This is just a guess though.
Good theory ! ;)
Always breath out on the way UP

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 pm

scubamatt41 wrote:
LonV wrote:I have no idea if what I'm about to say is accurate :D, but I believe this is due to the platform calibration. During the printing of raft it's adjusting the z height based on the calibration settings, resulting in the pausing you're seeing. This is just a guess though.
Good theory ! ;)
I installed 1.18 and didn't go through the platform calibration as it was already manually done, but I still see the pausing.

Regards
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 am

Yeah, it seems to be a new bug/feature not related to platform calibration/levelling.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 am

The pausing seems to help and give pause to the raft laying down, to help reduce warping
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 am

wackojacko wrote:The pausing seems to help and give pause to the raft laying down, to help reduce warping
I had wondered if that was the case. Maybe someone from PP3DP confirm that this was the intention?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 am

Ahhhh! That's what all the 'new' pausing is about when laying down initial layers for raft. I had thought until reading this something was changing with my printer and was just watching it closely. It definitely started at the time I upgraded to new 1.18, but never saw it mentioned in software release notes so didn't think about it being a new 'feature'. Good to know this was possibly intended and nothing is going bad with the printer. Thanks, -j

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Maybe because many users have noticed this thing happening it's advisable to give some kind of warning NOT to overhaul you're printer. Because when I noticed I broke one of the gray rod clips in traying to figure this out. At that point there where no others with the same issue.

Phfioe :| (wipe sweat from forehead) Luckly it 's still working do!! But to keep enyone else out of the mist. WARNING
Always breath out on the way UP

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:38 am

Maybe because many users have noticed this thing happening it's advisable to give some kind of warning NOT to overhaul you're printer.
Yes, I wish they would be thorough about the features/changes/enhancements. You're not the only one to mention they thought they had a faulty printer after this update.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:38 pm

And I forgot: the first line to fill the nozzle is printed more towards the middle (better for Mini) and is only one line. We have Polycarbonate print sheets made for the Mini to slide in the brackets. Because the nozzle was hitting the side bracket we designed the ''perf board'' to be as high as the brackets but it is good they changed where the first line is printed.

svid123

Post by svid123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:58 am

The raft now is much easier to remove (and more clean surface after removal) than in previous versions, especially on large printed objects.
Very good update!

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:28 am

svid123 wrote:The raft now is much easier to remove (and more clean surface after removal) than in previous versions, especially on large printed objects.
Very good update!

Unless you have a large model with low contact surface area to the raft - now my prints come loose while printing and are lost. I've gone back to 1.3/1.17/1.16 for most of my printing. Curves and underfill of corners are an issue also.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 pm

roller wrote:
svid123 wrote:The raft now is much easier to remove (and more clean surface after removal) than in previous versions, especially on large printed objects.
Very good update!

Unless you have a large model with low contact surface area to the raft - now my prints come loose while printing and are lost. I've gone back to 1.3/1.17/1.16 for most of my printing. Curves and underfill of corners are an issue also.
This is symptomatic of pp3dp's "Limited-Control-One-Solution-for-All-Users" approach. Users complain that rafts are difficult to remove (I never thought so) so now we have parts falling off of rafts. Around 1.15 or 1.16, some users complained about support being difficult to remove (I generally did not find this to be true) and then we got models with significantly less strength. In order to tailor our settings for a particular object/application we now have to keep multiple versions of the software on hand and try to keep track of which one is good for which parameters. The optimum settings for a big sculpture are likely to be quite different from the optimum settings for a small intricate engineering part. As has been pointed out many, many times in this forum by many, many users, giving users more control versus trying to dictate a one-size-fits all set of settings to everyone would be a much better solution.

julia

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 am

edited (I removed my comment for lack of relevance :D)
Last edited by teamcarlisle on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmatsumoto

Post by dmatsumoto » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I also noticed the jerky / pulsing motion during the raft after I upgraded to 1.18. It doesn't do this during the normal print, but my issue is that I end up with pits everywhere in the raft because the pausing when it lays down the crosses causes the plastic to droop between the bottom raft lines, which are too far apart.