Release of finalised v1.18

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
User avatar
Lawrence
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Release of finalised v1.18

Post by Lawrence » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:58 am

Hi all
has anyone downloaded and printed with the Christmas Day release of v1.18
What do you think of it.
Regards
Lawrence

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by roller » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:27 am

Ooh. Thanks for drawing my attention to it - finally an upgrade for the Mac version. I'll report back once I've spun some prints through it.

I wish they would announce the new versions on the forums like they used to or at least set up the blog entries for RSS.

User avatar
Lawrence
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by Lawrence » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 am

Hi Roller
I was Christmas Day. Maybe hadn't got to posting it yet? Anyway, its here and that's good a good Christmas present for all Uppers.
Regards
Lawrence

User avatar
scubamatt41
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Lawrence
I will run it as soon as possible.
Always breath out on the way UP

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by roller » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:31 pm

You'd think a post to the forums would be easier than a blog post though. Even just paste in the same text to announcements.

anvos
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by anvos » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 pm

I can`t find where i setup support height?
Image

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by roller » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 am

I can`t find where i setup support height?
I believe you are looking for the raft height which, according to the release notes in the announcement on the forums today, has been removed:
5.Removed the option for raft height, and fixed the height to be 7 layers.

Marcus
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Aw, why is that? With the wind barrier I can peel off even the 2 or 3 layer rafts just fine.
I'd hate to loose that setting.

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by roller » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:44 am

Marcus wrote:Aw, why is that? With the wind barrier I can peel off even the 2 or 3 layer rafts just fine.
I'd hate to loose that setting.
I think you will find the setting was 2mm not 2 layers. You will find the new raft thinner not thicker.

Marcus
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 am

Sorry, I got confused.
I am not at home at the moment so I can not view the settings without connecting the UP.
I thought the Raft density has changed.
www.thingiverse.com/image:88545 <-- So it's just the base height, not the support dense layers?

changfrancis
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:43 am

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by changfrancis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

is there a need to update the ROM for 1.18 ? what is the correct rom to use ?

rhummerstone
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by rhummerstone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:07 pm

works fine for me only suprise was raft was turned off somehow I did not notice one I swichet it back on all was well

Robert

albill
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by albill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:43 am

roller wrote:
I can`t find where i setup support height?
I believe you are looking for the raft height which, according to the release notes in the announcement on the forums today, has been removed:
5.Removed the option for raft height, and fixed the height to be 7 layers.
WTF?!?

Removing actual features?

albill
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by albill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:45 am

When you set the platform print height, the software no longer does a test print and asks you if it is ok. Because of this, the height is wrong.

It used to be, after it did the test print, it added some X amount so the platform was actually slightly lower than what you had told it (when measuring with a paper folded for height, for example). Now, since it doesn't do this, you have to manually lower it about .3 from what my tests show. This completely screwed up a bunch of prints before I figured it out.

pp3dp.nl
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Holland/The Netherlands

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm

I have done some printing with 1.18 and so far I like it. Models look good and support removal seems easier. But raft printing is different, the platform moves in ''pulses'' back and forth, not sure why? So instead of one thin line on a raft front to back the nozzle pauzes very briefly in the middle of the line.

The inner support overlaps/adheres well with the outer shell and the Shell function is a nice extra option, I have printed some hollow models.

Haven't tried the platform calibration yet but it is also a nice extra feature I think.

User avatar
scubamatt41
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by scubamatt41 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:I have done some printing with 1.18 and so far I like it. Models look good and support removal seems easier. But raft printing is different, the platform moves in ''pulses'' back and forth, not sure why? So instead of one thin line on a raft front to back the nozzle pauzes very briefly in the middle of the line.

The inner support overlaps/adheres well with the outer shell and the Shell function is a nice extra option, I have printed some hollow models.

Haven't tried the platform calibration yet but it is also a nice extra feature I think.
Did the pause seem like there was something wrong with the smootness of the bearings?
I had a similar thing happening with the 1.18beta. thought it was the smoothness of the bearing/rods. It is still there in the machine but only when it builds the raft. After that it's okay.
I like the shell setting to. They've done a great job so far.
Always breath out on the way UP

User avatar
wilsonj
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by wilsonj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Glad to read others with the pausing during the raft building. I had wondered if something might be wrong with the machine....

I think a nice compliment to the SHELL feature might be FILL, so we can actually get complete fill. I know it uses lots of plastic, but on smaller parts it might be handy. Although probably not going to help warping issues.

All in all I think1.18 is a nice improvement.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by roller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 am

Agree on solid fill being a desirable option. I have tried to print some mechanical prototypes (fans) with the Up but they are too weak and I have to resort to printing with the reprap (which means lots of painful cleanup). MEK/acetone washes haven't helped - it really just needs to be solid print.

Also - would love thinwall support to go with shell printing. Either printing one layer thick walls when they are thin or automatically upsizing them to the current min thickness.

pp3dp.nl
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Holland/The Netherlands

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by pp3dp.nl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

I haven't tried the 1.18 beta before so the pausing was new to me, previous versions did not do this. And it's only when printing the raft but it looks odd every 1-2 cm's the nozzle pauzes a bit. Oh well, the prints look good so I don't mind but I am curious.
scubamatt41 wrote:
pp3dp.nl wrote:I have done some printing with 1.18 and so far I like it. Models look good and support removal seems easier. But raft printing is different, the platform moves in ''pulses'' back and forth, not sure why? So instead of one thin line on a raft front to back the nozzle pauzes very briefly in the middle of the line.

The inner support overlaps/adheres well with the outer shell and the Shell function is a nice extra option, I have printed some hollow models.

Haven't tried the platform calibration yet but it is also a nice extra feature I think.
Did the pause seem like there was something wrong with the smootness of the bearings?
I had a similar thing happening with the 1.18beta. thought it was the smoothness of the bearing/rods. It is still there in the machine but only when it builds the raft. After that it's okay.
I like the shell setting to. They've done a great job so far.

LonV
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Re: Release of finalised v1.18

Post by LonV » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 pm

I have no idea if what I'm about to say is accurate :D, but I believe this is due to the platform calibration. During the printing of raft it's adjusting the z height based on the calibration settings, resulting in the pausing you're seeing. This is just a guess though.

Post Reply