UP! Software and ROM v1.17 Final

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
wackojacko

Re: UP! Software and ROM v1.17 Final

Post by wackojacko » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:55 am

With v1 ROMs it seems there is a problem with the update, have you tried both? PP3DP are on holiday at the moment, so you might need to hang in there for a week.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Jena67

Post by Jena67 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am

Yes, I tried both, none worked :(
I wait 4 them to come back.
Thanks

woofy

Post by woofy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:50 am

This is a suburb update, thanks Delta!

When printing raftless, the first layer is now printed slowly which ensures an even better stick to the platform.
The image below of a pcb mounting plate was printed with no lifting, warping or curling at all.
pcbstackplate.jpg
pcbstackplate.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 20893 times
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 am

Hi Woofy
very nice print. That is the type of models I am planning to print, to include in my projects. Is it ABS at 0.15 mm printed on kapt0n tape?
Regards
Lawrence
Melbourne,
Australia

woofy

Post by woofy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Lawrence,

ABS printed at 0.3mm on kapton tape.
I tried raftless at 0.15mm but I need to spend some time to get platform leveling and nozzle height settings better. I've done a small test print on raft at 0.15mm and the quality is very good, but the raft was hard to remove.

For raftless printing I prepare new kapton tape with a good clean with acetone.
For each print I then give it a thin ABS coating by wiping an acetone soaked cloth over a scrap print and wiping the kapton with that.
I also make sure the platform is fully heated before starting the print, giving it another 10-15 mins after it gets to 100 degrees. If you try to print on a cold table it will expand as it heats putting further stress on the shrinking ABS.
Depending on what I'm printing, I guess the kapton lasts between 10-20 prints before it needs replacing.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:26 pm

That looks like its Kapton stuck to the aluminium plate directly... I wouldnt recommend that at all. Removing the part would cause all kinds of issues with levelling!

I strongly recommend my method - Get a thin piece of glass and cut to size, stick Kapton and use 2 bulldog clips to hold in place. Pre-heat the glass for about 20 mins until its very toasty, it retains heat nicely, and you can take the glass off quickly and easily without disrupting the levels. I've been doing this for months now and havent had to re-level my plate since then, and none of my parts warp now, just remember to wipe down the Kapton with acetone after each print to remove any residue.

Cheers,
Eddie

virtox

Post by virtox » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you, very exciting development!
Unbelievable that my two+ year old printer still gets such incredible updates!
That is, I am still running V6.02/F1.0, so it looks like I will have to wait till after the PRC holidays for either CPU/Firmware upgrade or a new compatible ROM it seems?
Unless anyone got it to run on a gen1 printer?

Cheers,

Stijn

Jena67

Post by Jena67 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 am

Holidays are over...
Any news regarding the update on V1 printers?

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:16 am

virtox wrote:Thank you, very exciting development!
Unbelievable that my two+ year old printer still gets such incredible updates!
That is, I am still running V6.02/F1.0, so it looks like I will have to wait till after the PRC holidays for either CPU/Firmware upgrade or a new compatible ROM it seems?
Unless anyone got it to run on a gen1 printer?

Cheers,

Stijn
We've been in touch with ppd3pd and this is the reply:
Yes, all the previous printer can be updated. But something needs to be revised: if the firmware is 3.0 or lower than 3.0, it just can be updated to Rom 6.041. If the firmware is more than 3.0, the Rom can be updated to 6.07.
Which is pretty well what it says on the 1.17 download page except they have confirmed that ALL printers can be updated.
Can you send screenshots of what ROM you are picking and what the error message is ?

virtox

Post by virtox » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:32 am

I personally have not tested it, but I saw a few posts up where people where unsuccessful with v1 firmware printers.
And Bruce seems to acknowledge there is an issue with this firmware on v1.

Never mind, I got bold and tried to update my printer with the 6.041 update and the update seems to have gone ok :-)
The about says I now have ROM 6.04 (rounding error perhaps?)

Anyway the software now says it has 0.15mm layer thickness.

So not sure why it does not seem to work for all?

One thing I noted so far:
The platform temp seems to suddenly be measuring about 10C lower? (it says 9C when the room is 20C and is used to show about 19C)

svid123

Post by svid123 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

V1.17 has bug in calibration window with buttons captions at the bottom of dialog
00.jpg
00.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 20740 times

Jena67

Post by Jena67 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi,

I tried again to update my ROM but it did not work, here are the screenshots of the ROM I use and the error message I get, any help will be really appreciated.

I tried of course also the other ROMs in the file.

Thanks

Antonio
Attachments
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 20683 times
ROM.jpg
ROM.jpg (137.08 KiB) Viewed 20683 times

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 am

Hi,
Can you get a screenshot of the Help > About screen please ?
pp3dp will update the motherboard if you find it impossible.

Jena67

Post by Jena67 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi,

here it is!

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
UP! Serial ID.jpg
UP! Serial ID.jpg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 20644 times

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Okay the version 1 firmware we are waiting on PP3DP for a solution.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 am

svid123 wrote:V1.17 has bug in calibration window with buttons captions at the bottom of dialog
00.jpg
Hi Svid123, this maybe the software language problem. Could you please use the hot key (ALT+CTRL+E) to change the language to English and see if it works?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Edward

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:58 pm

I have seen many posts here about software and ROM version 1.17. Some for the update, with the better 0.15mm resolution, but many seem concerned that it needs a ROM update. I am confused !

This thread subject refers to "ROM V1.17 final" yet the ROM in my printer is a version V6.02. I assume that the software is version 1.17, not the ROM.

However looking at this PP3DP.com website it only seems to offer software version 1.16.

So if the 1.17 version exists, as seems to be the case, is it in beta testing.

I believe it offers the following over the 1.16 version
0.15mm resolution.
Extruder & plate temperature shown as a percentage (of what?) when printing, rather than showing nothing.

What else?

We have on this forum a whole user/customer wish list, that seems to have been ignored.

Can someone enlighten us as to when any/many of the other wishes will be resolved.

thanks

Peter

simplebot

Post by simplebot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm also not able to update my printer rom. My firmware is v1.0 and my rom is v5.01, the same as Jena67.
I get the same "rom can't be used by printer.
I hope this can get resolved soon!

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Peter,

Yes, 1.17 refers to the PC software. When you download the 1.17 update, several different ROM files are included in the package. Which ROM version you use depends on which hardware you have. 1.17 is a full release, not a beta.

I think that in addition to the changes you mention, there are a number of "under the hood" tweaks as well. I'm seeing stringing with ABS, which I've never seen before, so I suspect they may have changed some retraction parameters, and not for the better.

As to Delta Micro's reluctance to incorporate user suggestions, I think there is a pretty strong "Not Invented Here" mentality there. Regarding a real-time nozzle temperature readout during printing,apparently they consider (perhaps justifiably) whatever tricks they play with nozzle temp at various points in the printing process to be vital trade secrets, so I'm not holding my breath for that one.

After using the new software/firmware for a couple of weeks, I'm considering rolling back to the previous version; although the 150 micron layer thickness is great, or even essential, for some small-featured objects, in general I think my overall print quality and experience was better before.

Julia
mr6k wrote:I have seen many posts here about software and ROM version 1.17. Some for the update, with the better 0.15mm resolution, but many seem concerned that it needs a ROM update. I am confused !

This thread subject refers to "ROM V1.17 final" yet the ROM in my printer is a version V6.02. I assume that the software is version 1.17, not the ROM.

However looking at this PP3DP.com website it only seems to offer software version 1.16.

So if the 1.17 version exists, as seems to be the case, is it in beta testing.

I believe it offers the following over the 1.16 version
0.15mm resolution.
Extruder & plate temperature shown as a percentage (of what?) when printing, rather than showing nothing.

What else?

We have on this forum a whole user/customer wish list, that seems to have been ignored.

Can someone enlighten us as to when any/many of the other wishes will be resolved.

thanks

Peter

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:17 am

Julia,

Thanks for the heads up re the software etc. If 1.17 is fully released I wonder why it does not show on their website
I think it is rather shortsighted of them to not implement a user temperature control, so long as they limited it to avoid burning out the heater or overcooking the material, say a max of 280 degrees. It could easily be "buried" so those of a non tech nature do not foul the system up. If they hope it will force users to use their OEM material they are on a hiding to nothing. I used to be product development director for a company manufacturing professional motion picture scanners (telecines) and we very quickly learn't that ignoring customers wishes, and trying to lock them in by limiting features, quickly looses you business and existing customers put off potential customers.

I can possibly understand not monitoring of temperature while printing, as this will require more comms over the USB and could cause some bugs, yet they do communicate back which layer is currently printing. I guess those who disconnect the USB during printing do not even get this feedback!

Thanks for the advise, guess I will stay with 1.16 for now. as the general view seems to be, 150 microns, great, but not at the cost of the reported downsides. Maybe 1.18 will follow closely.

cheers

Peter