Filament feeder v2 on new version UP.

talk about anything
Lawrence

Filament feeder v2 on new version UP.

Post by Lawrence » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I am about to purchase the new version of the UP 3D printer, and see that the filament feeder v2 is no longer included. I have read that it is no longer required, but I am wondering if it is better to include it with my purchase - to ensure a better feed of filament to the extruder head.
Any feedback from current Up users, or from the manufacturer would be helpful.

whryly

Re: Filament feeder v2 on new version UP.

Post by whryly » Wed May 16, 2012 4:51 pm

We just got a unit without it.
I was concerned that it would be needed, as the photos show it.

So far I have only had one print mess up because of what I think *might* have been a feed problem.
It could have been some stray static crap that got fed into the feed causing it to stop feeding.
The 2nd roll of filament we got would not fit on the included "hanger" because it was too tall and it hit the table below.

The included spool would sometime "jump" as it was feeding and I did have a constant concern that when I wasn't watching it would hang up.
I thought about sanding the hanger smooth and putting some silcone on it to lower the friction, but moved on to the lazy susan idea.
I also had some loose ball bearing rings in my shop and thought a bout making a free spinning stand, but in the end a trip to the dollar store got us a lazy susan.

We now have the printer on a small stand and have the spool sitting on a cheap kitchen lazy susan.
In fact I have two spools stacked on top of each other and just pull the one I need to use, the other gets a free ride round'n'round.
(photos below)

So is it needed? well, been 6 weeks so far, only 1/2 spool used total... so it's really your guess.
I'd get the printer, start using it and if you have trouble, order it later - it should not stop you from getting up and running.

W
IMAG0317_sm.jpg
IMAG0317_sm.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
IMAG0318_sm.jpg
IMAG0318_sm.jpg (96.59 KiB) Viewed 5798 times

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 31, 2012 10:39 am

I will shortly be ordering the Up! and will probably try it without the filament feeder. I can add it later if needed. Thank you for your comprehensive helpful feedback.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:08 am

I too got a recent Up! without a filament feeder. I was concerned about the friction so I printed this ball-bearing spool holder:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19836

which also happens to come with a nicer sleeve tube holder dingus than the stock one. It's fun to make and really lowers the friction tremendously. It's designed for the pp3dp 1/2 kg spools, though, and won't fit the Octave 1kg spools which have a smaller hub opening and which are wider.

I subsequently had a conversation with the president of Octave, and he cautioned against having too little friction on the spool, resulting in "slinkies" from "freewheeling". For the moment I'm using a piece of 1" metal conduit in the Octave spools and it seems a good compromise friction-wise.

I think ultimately I may put each spool into a Home Depot cord reel like this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12871

It looks like a great, robust solution and the reels are the perfect size for Octave 1kg spools.

julia