Material in Australia

talk about anything
wilsonj

Material in Australia

Post by wilsonj » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 am

Hi all

First post. I just pulled the trigger on an UP machine, after what I hope was careful consideration.

It will probably be a week or two before I actually have the unit in my sweaty little hands though. Can't wait.

In the mean time I'm trying to work out alternatives for printing material. It seems in Australia the "up" ABS is about double the price of what it sells for in the US. And only currently comes in one colour. So my question is, what are the alternatives if one wants to use PLA or colored ABS? That is of good quality also. From what I read this can vary wildly.

Any experiences ?

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Material in Australia

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 am

I've had great success with MakerBot ABS and a few other suppliers here in the US but I've made design changes to my printer to directly address the issues most other UP printers still have problems with.
Take a look at my posts and you can gleam a lot from them, PLA still gives me a small amount of trouble due to the extruder temp being too low for clear/natural PLA and too high for colored PLA, until PP3DP rewrites the software to allow more adjustment (I hope it is coming soon).
I would recommend the MakerBot material and the 3Dprinterstuff as good sources (here in US), until recently as they are low on stock I think due to the sudden abundance of cheap printers on the market.
Welcome to the group and happy making things!
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:56 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote: I would recommend the MakerBot material and the 3Dprinterstuff as good sources (here in US), until recently as they are low on stock I think due to the sudden abundance of cheap printers on the market.
Note that if you want to use the 3Dprinterstuff filament, you will have to modify the extruder head for your printer to handle the (sometimes extreme) variations in filament diameter.

The MakerBot filament is much more consistent. I also recommend ProtoParadigm.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies and welcome!

I assume most filament is made in China? Unfortunately shipping it from the US to Australia is quite expensive, at least going on the couple websites recommended. And if it has already been shipped then it would seem I'm paying double handling.

As for varying widths of filament. Is it the increase in size that causes the issues? Or both ?

Can anyone point to the modifications required to be able to use other products successfully ?

Thanks again

Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:02 pm

wilsonj wrote:Thanks for the replies and welcome!

As for varying widths of filament. Is it the increase in size that causes the issues? Or both ?

Can anyone point to the modifications required to be able to use other products successfully ?

Thanks again

Jamie
Both, smaller diameter will strip and not feed, larger diameter will bind in melt tube (I've never encountered this problem).

As to mods to make I would point you to my thread, as I am very happily printing with both PLA and ABS from everybody's material I can get my hands on.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=753
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am

I'm whit Drew whit the material Makerbot to me is good and the other 3D printer stuff of Tim . Works good and any problem.

Jose

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:45 am

Hi Mate,

You are correct in saying its tricky getting your hands on coloured plastics that are good quality (im based in Sydney).

Madox has plastics available, and I have found a few places that sell product, but as Drew has mentioned, its required a little bit of tinkering to get to work without issue.

I'm currently using successfully Bilby CNC material, and it is definately not the best quality. The Black material I am using now seems to be pretty good, but the purple is absolutely horrendous (and to no surprise not available any more).

See here

http://bilbycnc.com.au/DisplayCat.asp?C ... ubCatID=88

Oz Rep Rap has some material available at pretty cheap pricing - Im using the clear ABS at the moment, and its working fine.

http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.php?m ... ex&cPath=7

Both of these would NOT work with the standard setup - so I, as Drew has mentioned needed to modify my UP to work properly with this material, and at this point, Ive been using it sucessfully for a few weeks without a single failed print.
See the mods here;

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=777

Im currently in discussions with a supplier from Indonesia that manufactures the Makerbot filament, and looking at buying in bulk from him directly.
Delivery is not bad, but the only reason im looking at this way is because its much cheaper for me to buy this way - for an individual user, its not worth it (minimum purchase is about 10kg, which is a lot for one user and one colour!)

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Eurisko84 wrote: Im currently in discussions with a supplier from Indonesia that manufactures the Makerbot filament, and looking at buying in bulk from him directly.
Delivery is not bad, but the only reason im looking at this way is because its much cheaper for me to buy this way - for an individual user, its not worth it (minimum purchase is about 10kg, which is a lot for one user and one colour!)
What's the name of the manufacturer?

Makerbot's filament is consistently high quality, and they have some colors I haven't found elsewhere (like the metallic silver). I don't mind buying 10kg at a time--I go through that in a couple months.

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 pm

pleppik wrote:What's the name of the manufacturer?

Makerbot's filament is consistently high quality, and they have some colors I haven't found elsewhere (like the metallic silver). I don't mind buying 10kg at a time--I go through that in a couple months.
Company name is INDOCOMTECH 3D - find them here on Alibaba.com

http://www.alibaba.com/member/id1008566226.html

Looks like they make a bunch of stuff for Makerbot - Ill let you know how the first order goes (ill be putting mine in early this week).

If it is the same stuff, it will be a great way to possibly bulk buy filament!

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks Drew for the link. Lots to read. Don't understand all the mods at this stage, but I'm sure I will once I have my machine in front of me.

Hi Eurisko84, thanks for the heads up. The stuff from indocomtech looks promising too. Please let us know how it turns out.

Back to reading......

Cheers
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Just an update guys - im putting in my order today for 5kg of black and 5kg of silver material from these guys. Hopefully its good stuff, and we can then get a good supply of material here in Aus!
Getting a sample of Glow in the dark and magenta... just for kicks too.

Let you know how it goes!

Eddie

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 am

Hi Eddie, any update on the filament?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 am

wilsonj wrote:Hi Eddie, any update on the filament?
Ordered and paid for - never arrived. Chased them up and I am assuming its a lost cause. Live and learn I suppose... :oops:

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Oh sorry to hear that. Do you think it was lost in transit, or never sent?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Eurisko84 wrote:
wilsonj wrote:Hi Eddie, any update on the filament?
Ordered and paid for - never arrived. Chased them up and I am assuming its a lost cause. Live and learn I suppose... :oops:
It's not that surprising for an international filament order to take over two weeks. There may still be hope.