I can't level my platform - z slipping? :-(

talk about anything
Pinter75

I can't level my platform - z slipping? :-(

Post by Pinter75 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi,

I received a new Up Plus! today, and after about 6hrs, I still have not printed anything :-(

I have set it up as per the guides, and have tried to level out the platform.

This is what I am doing:

1). Raise the platform to about 130, then nudge until I get 0.2mm. I am using a metal thickness gauge set at 0.20mm
2). I then move the platform to each corner, then back to centre. Now this is where it gets weird. When it comes back to centre the nozzle is touching the platform? I didn't change any settings.

It seems that everytime I move the platform the Z axis changes?

I have tried setting it at centre to 0.2mm, saving - restarting everything and printing. It starts ok, then on the 2nd pass the nozzle is hitting the previous layer.

I should also say that I can't seem to get the bed level with the Z axis changing on each move.

It something slipping somewhere? This machine is less than 8hrs old!

Also how critical is it for each corner to be bang on 0.2mm?

Thanks.

wackojacko

Re: I can't level my platform - z slipping? :-(

Post by wackojacko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:40 am

Hi,

You might find there are three springs under the heated black section, under the platform on the x-axis arm.
You turn the screws and adjust to level the platform.

You might find it easier to switch off the printer and align manually by moving and checking each axis.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 am

Hi,

Please adjust the platform until it is level with the nozzle. There are 3 screw and 3 springs under the platform heater.Loosen a screw and the related corner of platform will rise. Tighten, or loosen the screws until you have the same distance between the nozzle and the platform at all four corners of platform.

Best wishes

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi,

Yup I have tried adjusting the 3 spring washers to level the base. I have to do the same on my laser cutter to align mirrors.

The problem I have it that I align to 0.2mm in the centre. Move the head to one corner using the software check it is ok, then send the head back to centre and the nozzle touches the platform?

So as you can see it makes it impossible to align anything as it looks like the Z axis moves each time.

Thanks.

Madox

Post by Madox » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Have a check if your nozzle is secure and not dropping down.

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi,

It seems that the platform arm had bent downwards in shipping.

I gently bent it upwards and got all corners +-0.2mm :-)

So it is currently doing the calibration print.

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi,

Still going ok.

Looking pretty good!

Cheers.

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Ohh something caused the head to crash so the nozzle axis was off.

I didn't get a plastic tube for the abs in my box. Is that now not needed for the Up Plus! ? I thing the spool jammed and this stopped the head moving.

So, I have looked at the platform again. I have cut some 19mm carbon rubber discs and am now using them as spacers that can compress on all 4 sides. I also went from 3 screws to 4 so I can adjust each corner.

Hopefully it is now super level!

Printing again to test.

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:36 am

Hi,

Ok The nozzle is not hitting anything, because I didn't get the plastic tube for the Abs the material sometimes jams coming out of the feeder and stops the nozzle mech from moving.

Should I have this tube for the Abs?

Cheers.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:02 am

Pinter75 wrote:Hi,

Ok The nozzle is not hitting anything, because I didn't get the plastic tube for the Abs the material sometimes jams coming out of the feeder and stops the nozzle mech from moving.

Should I have this tube for the Abs?

Cheers.
Yes you should use the tube between the side mount and the print head.
I've not been using the feeder assembly since the first one broke down, after looking at the specs for the Neema motor there really is no need for this extra complexity, use a good roller stand like the ones you can print and assemble from wooden dowels, you can find them on Thingiverse.

As to leveling, if you look at the latest UP! manual you will find my post about using high temp rubber discs and 3 screws, make sure to get them tight and use an easily removed build plate/cover, never pry the parts off when still on the printer, common sense tells you you will mess up your level if you do. I print on a glass plate covered in Kapton tape held on with 2 binder clips.

There are a lot of good Mods out here, I've collected all the ones that work for me, I hope you can incorporate some of them to help you, I'm able to print raft-less and can switch build plates and color very swiftly, if Kapton does not work due to large volume and warping (has not happened yet) I have Perf board waiting to clip on change Z setting and go to print.
Attachments
IMAG0250 small.jpg
glass build plate
IMAG0250 small.jpg (159.2 KiB) Viewed 13348 times
Spool Collection 1 SMALL.jpg
spool those plastics
Spool Collection 1 SMALL.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 13348 times
pict 176 small.jpg
no motor needed
pict 176 small.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 13348 times
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:14 am

Here is my current setup, not shown is the 4mm tube I run along the same path next to the 1.7 filament that feeds cooling air to the pinch roller area of the extruder for PLA only, as everyone is now noticing the extruder motor gets hot and that transmits to the pinch roller and causes feed fail with the lower temp melt point of PLA (apparently this is worse with the new upgraded controller), I currently use an airline from my compressor out in the garage but plan to change to a small fan ducted down to the 4mm feed tube so as not to add more mass to the extruder assembly.
Attachments
2011-12-06 21-04-01.465.jpg
overall system
2011-12-06 21-04-01.465.jpg (134.04 KiB) Viewed 13351 times
2011-12-06 21-03-44.122.jpg
no feeder needed
2011-12-06 21-03-44.122.jpg (128.76 KiB) Viewed 13351 times
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi,

Some good mods there. I did see your post about the rubber discs, and that is where I got the idea from :-)

As I didn't get the filament feed tube in my box I have had to improvise. i used Chupa Chup tubes lol. They seem to work very well!

I think the platform is the weakest point in the system, it has lots of play on the main arm :-( I have a laser cutter, so may make use of that to beef things up.

Other than that I am printing stuff and finding out the pitfalls. Tried blue masking tape and it was ok, so gone back to the green stuff.

I also put some heat sink compound between the heater block and the platform.

Cheers.

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi,

Ok all is good in 3D printer land!

I just printed this with no glitches :-)

Madox

Post by Madox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Mmmm so you prefer the green goo over the 3M masking tape? Curious on why...?

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 am

The green goo is ok for now.

I tried 3M blue masking tape but had the calibration model un-stick from the base at the back.

I am wondering if it was a failure to align the platform and the nozzle was a bit too close and popped it loose.

Ideally I am going to go for the perf board platform, that way I can unclip and remove the model without having to worry about re-aligning the platform on each print.

Having lots of fun, printed the UP Bearing earlier and it turned out great.

Cheers,

chengsam2000

Post by chengsam2000 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 am

i will recommend kapton tape

FallGuy

Post by FallGuy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm

I use the 3M blue painters tape and haven't had a problem with anything coming loose from it. Only when putting some of the largest models that use almost the whole build area have I had any problems with warp. But I do make sure that I preheat my build platform to 90 to 95 C before I even hit print for a model. I start the preheat function just after initializing the printer, then load my model, and final send it to the printer after the maintenance box shows the temp ha hit that 95 C mark.

Your other option would be to use the perf board secured to the print platform and print on that. In that case you would not need to preheat the platform, simply start printing. I use the perf board when printing exceptionally large objects and don't want the warping.
Thanks,

FallGuy

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:41 am

Hi all,

We recommend the perfboard, it really good, that's why we include one perfboard into the box of each new printer. And we recommend to use the small clip, it will make the operation easier. Btw, the platform preheating is still very necessary even use the perfboard.

Printer71, we are sorry for forgetting to include the filament tube into your package, please send email to us and let us know your shipping address, we will send a new filament tube to you. Hope you enjoy your printing.

Kind regards,
Edward

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Edward,

You say there is perfboard in the boxes of new printers, should I have got one of those too?

Thanks,

Steve.

Pinter75

Post by Pinter75 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Whoop!

Seems to be all ok now.

Here is a Yoda at 0.2mm Fine.