part quality question

talk about anything
cambazz

part quality question

Post by cambazz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 am

Hello,

Recently I have build some linkage parts, and I am sending pictures.

Although my stl is perfect, the areas marked with red arrows, do not have a top or bottom surface. there is supposed the be a surface there, but the printer will leave it empty, and link it from irregular places. The part is hovever still usable.
empty-examples.jpg
empty-examples.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
I have printed these files as half-filled. so not the densest option, but i still think there should be a surface to those. the stls are sold, I have checked with netfab.

any ideas?

best regards,
c.b.

Madox

Re: part quality question

Post by Madox » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:48 am

Hi your part geometry is too small, to get a better result you should tweak your wall thicknesses.

Using pure hypothetical numbers (deliberately oversized!), imagine this :-
If the extruder nozzle can only extrude 10mm thick walls, and your part is 25mm, the printer takes the outside walls as priority and will print you 2 x 10mm walls with 5mm empty gap in between....

You need a thicker wall for the extruder to lay down material in the center and to be able to do the zigzag pattern.

Play around, you'll find an optimal thickness for your walls yet :)

PS : Alternatively you can angle your parts to get closed surfaces, but that doesn't seem practical for the parts you pictured.
e.g. these tags are deliberately printed on 45degs, if I printed them flat I'll run into the same problem you have...
https://plus.google.com/photos/11450626 ... 7926679714