Remote printing: Any free usb-via-lan software?(instead vnc)

talk about anything
Marcus

Remote printing: Any free usb-via-lan software?(instead vnc)

Post by Marcus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Hello, I finally came around to set up a small computer ("Dectop"; AMD Geode 366 MHz, 128 MB Ram...) to sit next to the PP3DP UP!+.
Now I can print directly via any browser, from Windows, Linux, Mac, and even my cellphone :-) Anything that runs Java or a VNC client. Neat...

I am currently using uvnc which works surprisingly well and fast enough to do basic scaling, viewing and printing.
Well... It works- but it's really slow- even though pp3dp made a great piece of software that even runs on that old machine! But the calculations/slicing is too much for the little CPU ;-) I just started a print-job with 8 more or less complex earring models, and it took more then 20 minutes even with the thicker layer setting.

Also, the computer only has USB 1.1, so that's another bottle neck. But hey, better then shutting down my old laptop with the dead battery, dragging it over there

Does anyone know a free software that allows to use a usb device of another computer? I do know they exist, but a quick search only brought up a bunch of commercial programs as well as some virtual computer emulator plug-ins.

Also, on a side note, I'll set up a webcam to view printing (and will include it on my site). Stay tuned! :-)

//EDIT: Okey, I found http://usbip.sourceforge.net/, but could not try it yet, as I do want to wait until the print job is finished before toying around with it. Any other programs out there that you can recommend?

Also appreciating any info on light-weight webcam-ftp-software and anti-virus for older computers (using avast atm)...

M4rk

Re: Remote printing: Any free usb-via-lan software?(instead

Post by M4rk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey there,

I enjoyed your post - funny, because I was thinking exactly this the other week & how it would be great to set a print going / monitor a print if you were out and about.

Good luck !

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi :-)
I'm still not daring to let it run for larger jobs... just yesterday a print got loose, and even though I was at home, it smelled awefull for the rest of the day because of the burned plastic...
I really need to re-coat my platform :-)

Webcam still not up, but printing it remotely is fun.

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Sorry, not sure I understand the issue?

If I so understand what you are after, you want to get rid of the laptop, and simply have a really long USB cable with the printer on it instead?

You can do this fairly easily using cheap hubs and long USB cables. That's how I get the WIFI to the laptop in the shed, as it won't reach otherwise. There is a hub and then a USB extension cable that gives me around 5 meters of reach for the WIFI USB adapter, which sits up a pole so I can get a signal through.

The limit is 7 deep for hubs, and with 5 meters between each one, that might work for you.

If there is a feasible way to ditch the laptop and run the UP! directly off a LAN cable, then that might well be awesome. However, if I did that I'd have nothing to Skype to to see what the printer is doing, meaning running another set of cables out for a webcam.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Sorry Soapy, I try to explain again.
I have a small computer (AMD PIC "Dectop", not Desktop) sitting next to the printer, running XP.
Will post pics later.
The Dectop has a AMD Geode with 366 MHz and is really, really slow.
Its not too bad, but it can take 10-15 minutes or more for a complex print to start...

Now I am thinking of installing a virtual usb driver (similar to the mentioned usbip.sourceforge.net) in order to print from my computer via network, instead of running the software on the slow computer (via VNC). I have not progressed with that, I will when I come arround to it.

There ARE USB to network adapters, and you will need to install a virtual usb port driver, but those solutions are really expensive. In the low-price section you'll just find NAS and printer adapters.
As for cables, there are really cheap extenders using rj45 cables (not as network though, just as wire) that allow up to 30-150m or so.

The Webcam is setup, but my Webspace is currently down. I will post the link to the live image later.

BTW, if anyone want's a dectop, I have a few spare ones I did not use for another project. They are small and can be shipped for arround €6-12... Less if you can find a 12v power supply.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:29 pm

A quick picture from the new workspace of my UP+! (see attachment)
Soon the cables will be more or less tidy in the box at the left.

I think I now have ~120 colors for painting or so, perhaps I should take a picture of those as well while I am at it ;-)

Anyone knows of a slim, memory efficient webcam software for an old computer, that can archive pictures instead of replacing the same file over and over?
Attachments
pp3dp_dectop_1.jpg
PP3DP UP!+ attached to a 5w AMD "DecTop" for RemotePrinting and live Webcam via Wifi.
pp3dp_dectop_1.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 5452 times

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 am

Having problems with my webhost :-( Moving all domains to a new one. Using no-ip in order to host via my internet connection instead of FTP.

I set up Yawcam now, but it's decreasing the small computer's performance. Works fine though:

http://up.no-ip.org:8888/update.html (10 Second reload)

Streaming is possible too (within the slow computer's ability), and it will record time lapse movies (a picture every 30 sec).

(Right now only the 6 LED of the webcam iluminate the printer under the desk, thus the dark & grainy image. What you see moving is a small turn table with two prints.)

Once it is all set up I'll add some decent light and place the camera at a better position.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 am

-!Congratulations . Very nice friend.¡