Shipping fees excessive

talk about anything
cyberbadger

Shipping fees excessive

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:23 am

Hi,

I'm ordering 6 spools of UP! filament (700g each).

$70 for 2, but a mandatory attached shipping fee of $12 per 2.

Ok, I'm not happy for the extra $36.

Continuing on the purchase ...

+$10 Package Fee???

+$8.61 Paypal Fee

Ever heard of double jeopardy????

I know PP3DP are laughing at how much they are steeling from us rich westerners - but I can buy the same filament, and in different colors from makergear at nearly 1/2,1/3 the price.s

Disgruntled,

cyberbadger

Madox

Re: Shipping fees excessive

Post by Madox » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:53 am

It does come via DHL in around 2 days... and it is quite heavy...

I heard they were getting local distributors in various parts of the world (e.g. Aus/NZ), perhaps shipping costs would go down once they have local stockists.

cyberbadger

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:18 am

It would at least be better if they gave a discount for a bulk order, whatever that may be.

It should NOT cost nearly $300 for a few kilograms of plastic.

-cyberbadger

William

Post by William » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:31 am

We had a go around on this subject a couple of months back:

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... cost+curve

The MakerGear stuff, although cheaper, is not of the same quality. I purchase from both sources. I just bit the bullet and ordered 8 more roles from Up!

Since the MakerGear stuff is available, I've largely been using that, as it's cheaper to do rough prototyping. When I want prints that have good dimensionality, don't smell after the print, and can support fine detail without any popping due to moisture absorption, I use the white Up! filament.

If you view it that way, just use the MakerGear stuff for the most part, and use the premium blend of the Up! when you're printing something really special.

trebuchet03

Post by trebuchet03 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:31 am

Just think of it as 82 dollars for two spools with 10 dollar shipping... you still come out on top compared to other turnkey 3D printers.

Paypal fee sucks (paypal needs to make money too)...

there always a wire transfer...
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:33 am

I would like if they would offer non-express shipping. I order a lot in china and other countries... and it will take 2-6 weeks, 8 weeks top when using fright. The main problem could be that many will choose the cheap shipping but then complain after two weeks that it has not arrived. This is one of the reasons why some ebay sellers will not do business with italy, germany and such, as the custom offices will add another week delay to some parcels...
I think pp3dp should do "slow shipping" on request.
I'dd be happy to re-distribute the ABS from germany for europe, if no other vendors do the job. The ABS could ship as a LCL/containerload, and thus the 19% tax plus redistributing would still be cheaper then airmail/express. I did LC with ~150 computerunits once, and while I would not pick them up at the habor myself again, it's all not such a big deal.

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 pm

The problem with that is, who's got the £20,000 to drop on a container full of UP! plastic? And space to store it?

I've done group buys before, and they tend to work out ok, if you are happy with having half the stuff sitting in your shed forever. :roll:

Also, it's a gamble, because if BfB start doing ABS in 1.7mm for 5p cheaper a roll you won't sell any more unless you drop your price, meaning you could well lose a lot of money.