rail maintenance?

talk about anything
Chris.e

rail maintenance?

Post by Chris.e » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Do I need to maintenance my rails and sledges in some way except maybe give them a drop of oil if needed? Are there any moving parts inside the sledges that needs to be taken care of? Mine feels a little bit more noisy now than before, although it seems like it comes from the inside(?) of the sledge? I guess there is a ball cage in there as profile rails usually have...
Cheers!

cyberbadger

Re: rail maintenance?

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:20 am

Chris.e,

PP3DP has told me before to avoid the use of oil, you are probably fine, they just worried it could slowly degrade any ABS UP! printed parts inside the printer.

I asked about white lithium grease, and they said that would be a better choice.

That being said - are you sure it isn't the radial ball bearings in the idle pulleys going bad? (4 or 5 people have reported, including myself, having that problem so far)

-cyberbadger

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 am

I thought to avoid the lithium grease so particles doesn't stick but maybe it´s better after all? I´ve called some linear rail suppliers and they all give kinda different advice :) Anyway, my x axis rail gives me a sorta of a non-linear motion.
And it's not the radial ball bearings, I have had 3 broken so far, all with the same error that the ball cage breaks and then I find the balls in the machine. I think it´s kinda strange, a belt drive should wear out far long before a ball bearing breaks.

William

Post by William » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 am

I wonder if there is a mechanical misalignment in your system? Either you've got extremely bad luck on ball bearings, or there's something putting an awkward stress on them causing the failure. I haven't had mine fail as yet, but my machine is making more noises today than when it first arrived. Probably an indicator that something needs to be lubed in some sort of way.

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 am

looking at how the bearings sits there should really be no way to misalignment making them break..all have been of different types though, with guard plate, no guard plate..Well I´m hope this was my last change :)