Printer stops printing without a reason

talk about anything
piranha32
Printer stops printing without a reason

Post by piranha32 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Hello,

I tried to print a fairly big model, the model has been processed properly by the software and sent to the printer, but printing stops after printing a few lines of the lowest layer of the support raft. The width of the model is almost as big as the distance between printing limits, but still fits within them.
The printer starts printing the raft and then suddenly stops in the middle of the first layer. "Stops" means stops moving and turns off heating. It is possible to initialize the printer from software, but before then the printer does not report any information about its status (at least the "Maintain" window does not show temperature information). I tried to print the model twice, with identical results. The printer always freezes in the same place.
I printed with .3mm settings, not changing the default values of the parameters.
Any ideas how to get rid of this problem?

Thank you,
j.
Last edited by piranha32 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piranha32

Re: Printer stops printing without a reason

Post by piranha32 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Changing resolution to .4mm did not help much. Printing went just a little bit farther and stopped again. Still while printing the most bottom layer.

j.
Last edited by piranha32 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William

Post by William » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Is the model available somewhere so others can try it out?

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 pm

It is a custom part I modeled for a device I build. The zip file contains the STL I used for printing. I tried to post just the STL file, but the board does not allow for upload of files with .stl extension.
Attachments
battery holder - front part.zip
(29.61KiB)Downloaded 456 times

jmgiacalone

Post by jmgiacalone » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:27 pm

Hello,

I reported a similar error in this post: http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165

I've not had the problem recently, but the solution given by darkhouse may help you out.
jmgiacalone
www.emakershop.com

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:12 am

I tried reseating the connector at the printing head, but it did not help. Printer just freezes, without any error messages.

TTT험ทดสอบ

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:24 am

piranha32 wrote:Hello,

I tried to print a fairly big model, the model has been processed properly by the software and sent to the printer, but printing stops after printing a few lines of the lowest layer of the support raft. The width of the model is almost as big as the distance between printing limits, but still fits within them.
The printer starts printing the raft and then suddenly stops in the middle of the first layer. "Stops" means stops moving and turns off heating. It is possible to initialize the printer from software, but before then the printer does not report any information about its status (at least the "Maintain" window does not show temperature information). I tried to print the model twice, with identical results. The printer always freezes in the same place.
I printed with .3mm settings, not changing the default values of the parameters.
Any ideas how to get rid of this problem?

Thank you,
j.
Can you see the system status on the right bottom corner? Is it "Motion Error"? or other status?

If the printer stop at the same place, I guess you have make the calibration. The build size is smaller than without calibration. It is our bug. The solution will available in version 1.09.

Darkhouse

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:38 am

darkhouse wrote: Can you see the system status on the right bottom corner? Is it "Motion Error"? or other status?
I think it was just the timer. I'll try to print once again and check the status.
darkhouse wrote: If the printer stop at the same place, I guess you have make the calibration. The build size is smaller than without calibration. It is our bug. The solution will available in version 1.09.
I did calibration just after setting up the printer. Should I run calibration print again or can I reuse the previously measured dimensions?

thx,
j.

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:57 am

I entered once again the same calibration vales. The printing stopped even earlier than before, and the error message was "Move error"

j.

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 am

I decreased the size of the model, 1.5mm on each side, but it failed to print again with identical error message. I noticed an interesting thing: turns out that the model on the printing bed is twisted. In front of the model the distance between the support and the edge of the platform is about 3-4mm, while when the printing stops, the support touches the edge of the platform. Is there a way to "straighten" the location of the model? It limits significantly the maximum size of the models that can be printed.
Attachments
DSC_7820_scalled_down.JPG
DSC_7820_scalled_down.JPG (110.71KiB)Viewed 10168 times

trebuchet03

Post by trebuchet03 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:00 pm

The two platform screws don't self align...

You can loosen them and rotate the bed, then tighten the screw down. But, that will only account for a few degrees of rotation (and sine of small theta's is very small)...
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer