Hardware Suggestions

talk about anything
William
Hardware Suggestions

Post by William » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:46 am

Now that I'm playing with my printer, there are some top of the mind things that I wish I could see in the next releases of the printer.

Single power adapter. Right now it's 3 adapters, and wires laying around in different places. Ideally there would be one power brick, and that would route power to the controller, extruder, filament feed, and motors.

On/Off switch. Right now I have to turn off the power strip as the off switch.

Simple 16x2 LCD display on the case of the printer. Show the current progress of the print job

Use display to how info on the printer, such as temperature, current layer being printed, time left to print, etc.

Put simple printer controls near the LCD. Pause/Resume, Stop,

Navigation buttons. Allow for complete control from the printer itself.

Add a SD slot so I can upload models directly without the computer.

Those are the basics I would add to this particular version of the hardware.

Going forward:

Make a foldable case design. It would be great if I could fold the gantry down over the base, and put a handle on the end to easily transport the printer.

New Product:

You guys have created a great little printer. I would love to see you create a simple 3D scanner as well.

TTT험ทดสอบ

Re: Hardware Suggestions

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:59 am

Most suggestions will appear in next generation. :)

Darkhouse

William

What I would pay extra for

Post by William » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Make the extruder motor/mount easily detachable. Make more and different 'print' heads. I do not need a heavy duty router attachment as that would require different mechanics and support. It might be good to have a simple PCB etching spindle though.

Firmware upgradeable.

Quieter fan inside the box. I am sure you have to move a large volume of air to keep the motor controllers cool. Either piezo fan on each controller, or more expensive overall fan, which is whisper quiet, would make the experience of having this in an office almost perfect.

Heated Build Platform - I was thinking of this one the most. What I would be willing to pay more for is a build platform with the following characteristics. It is two layers. The bottom layer is aluminum. It has a groove cut into it's surface which covers the whole surface in a nice uniform heating pattern. Within that groove, you place some nichrome wire. Bring them to the edge with connectors that can easily plug into the electronics. Put another layer of aluminum on top of that, and glue/weld/solder them together. Now I get a nice aluminum/nichrome sandwhich that has uniform heating. Another alternative is to have the second layer be ceramic, but I don't think that is necessary.

And of course allow the version 1.0 users to purchase the new version at half the price.

Chris.e

Re: Hardware Suggestions

Post by Chris.e » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:52 pm

I would like pause button with resume if i need to fix something in the middle of the print.