Chemical to turn plastic to more of a rubber state.

talk about anything
Steelyd

Chemical to turn plastic to more of a rubber state.

Post by Steelyd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:55 am

Anyone know of a chemical I can soak a part in to give it more of a rubber state? I want to be able to bend a thin part without it breaking. I know acetone with do this for awhile but only for a short time before it hardens.

mr6k

Re: Chemical to turn plastic to more of a rubber state.

Post by mr6k » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:01 am

Hi,

Leave in a bath of petrol (Gas) for a day or two, this will soften the ABS to a rubbery state. remove from petrol, then bend at will, you will probably need to bend and hold it over a former of the shape you need as it will take several days for the petrol to evaporate, maybe even a week, depending on your environment.

p.s. This does NOT work for PLA

cheers

Peter

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 am

Could you warm it up and bend it then ?

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I actually want it to stay in the rubbery state.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:21 am

Orbi-Tech carries "soft PLA" but iirc just 3mm- perhaps coutact them?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:40 am

Hi
Your requirement is a big ask for an Up! printing with ABS or PLA.
I suggest that you perfect the model design using the Up!, then send the STL file to a professional printing service that can print the final design in rubber like material; for example one using an Objet Connex printer which prints in numerous materials including with rubber-like characteristics.
Check out here: http://objet.com/3d-printing-materials/rubber-like
If you do manage to find another solution, I am sure that many other, including me, will be interested also.
Regards
Lawrence

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 pm

That might be my only option. I'll let you know if I find another way. Thanks!

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:39 am

Hi Guys,

We've just converted one of our Ups to print with thermoplastic rubber, but its still early days.

We first tried with TPR filament but that cuased all sorts of problems because it was near impossible to grip a soft filament reliably while, at the same time, applying enough force to push it through the nozzle. We, of course, used a variable pressure system with which we could adjust the pressure between the roller bearing and motor gear, but that was of limited help, particularly if running a softer rubber.

In the end, we designed a whole new print head that prints using pellets (rubber, or any other plastic). Uses an auger type drill bit as the screw mechansism, and a heater band at the bottom of the barrel. Was a challenge keeping the weight of the printhead to a minimum so the Up could still handle it.

We've printed some cool rubber mini shoe sole inserts for customized shoe fits. We havent modified the Y axis on the Up yet to allow full sized shoe inserts, so have only made kids sized inserst so far.

Will post pics and more information when I get back to New Zealand...
Cheers
Olaf

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:21 pm

odiegel wrote:Hi Guys,

We've just converted one of our Ups to print with thermoplastic rubber, but its still early days.

We first tried with TPR filament but that cuased all sorts of problems because it was near impossible to grip a soft filament reliably while, at the same time, applying enough force to push it through the nozzle. We, of course, used a variable pressure system with which we could adjust the pressure between the roller bearing and motor gear, but that was of limited help, particularly if running a softer rubber.

In the end, we designed a whole new print head that prints using pellets (rubber, or any other plastic). Uses an auger type drill bit as the screw mechansism, and a heater band at the bottom of the barrel. Was a challenge keeping the weight of the printhead to a minimum so the Up could still handle it.

We've printed some cool rubber mini shoe sole inserts for customized shoe fits. We havent modified the Y axis on the Up yet to allow full sized shoe inserts, so have only made kids sized inserst so far.

Will post pics and more information when I get back to New Zealand...
Cheers
Olaf
Yes please, I think here are many who's waiting more information.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

Macman

Post by Macman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Are you wanting a working model (solid soft rubber) as I would be tempted to experiment with dipping a small model in a rubber solution to coat it to achieve what you are after. i.e soft grip handle.

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Coating wouldn't achieve what I'm looking for. Printing rubber would be great. Looking forward to hearing more about that. Also, if it prints using pellets, maybe printing with Poly Morph would work!

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:24 am

Printing with pellets also reduces the printing costs enormously, as you are then printing with exactly the same form as for injection molding, so material is down at that price level... :-)
Cheers
Olaf

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:06 am

Hi Mac Man
You mention
I would be tempted to experiment with dipping a small model in a rubber solution to coat it
That idea is interesting. It could result in some great finished models.
Do you know of a rubber product available to do that with?
Regards
Lawrence

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:09 am

Hi Lawrence,
Plastidip works well for this. You can buy it at most good hardware stores. It's the same kind of rubber used to rubberize the handles of yur pliers, etc.
It's available in a can to dip, or in a spray can...
Cheers
Olaf

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:16 am

Hi odiegel
Don't you love the internet. Just Googled in Plasti Dip and brought up the Australian distributor site.
The product does look very interesting.
Thanks for the tip.
Regards
Lawrence