Feed Stepper Stuttering - clunk-clunk-clunk

talk about anything
JuliaDee

Feed Stepper Stuttering - clunk-clunk-clunk

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 pm

This problem seems to be getting worse on my machine; I don't know if it's been worsened by the new software/firmware or if my stepper is aging. It used to happen only with PLA but now it's happening with ABS, both OEM and 3rd-party.

Manual extrude works fine. In mid-print the stepper starts making a clunk-clunk-clunk sound, and the filament can be seen "bouncing" at the inlet - it feeds in one step and then pops back out. A look at the end of the motor shaft confirms that this is exactly what the motor itself is doing; this is not a slippage issue. It's intermittent: sometimes it seems to happen only early in the print and then it settles down, other times it happens toward the end. Seems pretty random.

I've cleaned the feed gear teeth and tried both stronger and weaker feed bearing pressure, to no avail. I've tried with the fan duct open and closed.

Anyone else experience this? I have a whole bunch of critical parts that need to be printed in the next two weeks and can't afford any downtime right now, argh :(

Thanks,
julia

wackojacko

Re: Feed Stepper Stuttering - clunk-clunk-clunk

Post by wackojacko » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi Julia

This clicking sound is caused by either the nozzle or silver column has residue in it. Do a withdraw, disconnect the fan and do a few withdraws after each other, hopefully you can melt the stuck residue out but heating the block up. Remove the nozzle and scrape and excess plastic (look in there with a torch). Poke a small drill bit up the column and scrape any residue on the walls. Replace everything. Check that your driver gear cover is not popping off during printing.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

goopyplastic

Post by goopyplastic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I would agree, I keep an extra nozzle for troubleshooting or if one needs to soak. I find that using the tweezer end to clear the nozzle will actually cause the nozzle hole to widen, this doesn't seem to change printing much so you could widen the nozzle diameter via this method in a pinch. I have since switched to soaking in acetone overnight, then running thin wire through the nozzle to clear it, then using steel wool inside the nozzle making sure a few threads pass through the nozzle completely.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Yup, cleaned everything out and no more clunking, yay!

Thanks,
julia