pla printing with Up!

talk about anything
ftdesigns

pla printing with Up!

Post by ftdesigns » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 pm

sorry if this was already talked about, but i did a search and did not find it.

Does anyone actually print with pla using the Up? I just did for the first time and it came out hairy from melted plastic being pulled around and the part was mushy when I tried to remove it from the platform. Are there pla settings in the software that perhaps lower the extruder temp and turn off the heated build platform?

daveb693

Re: pla printing with Up!

Post by daveb693 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:51 pm

if you go into maintanence select new spool select pla this will change temperatures of nozzle and hotbed for pla

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm

thank you! that works

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 am

Some users have reported improved results with PLA by blowing air across the build platform with a desk fan from a foot or two away. I've done it with a 40mm fan held in a "3rd hand" device, about 10 inches from the center of the platform. It does seem to help. The fan duct damper can also be used to "fine-tune" the nozzle temp but I usually leave it closed if I've got the secondary fan thing going.

A more serious problem that I've been seeing increasingly is the feed stepper "jamming" with PLA: it "clicks" and the filament can be seen jogging up and down at the inlet. Seems to be related to stepper temperature, it gets better when I aim a fan right at the back of the stepper, so I may make a modified cable tray with a fan mount for the back of the motor.

julia

goopyplastic

Post by goopyplastic » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 am

Hrmm I would think the stutter / jamming would be from too little heat. When I tried PLA on the up! I had some stringing (not terrible though), thinking it might have been too high of a temp I tried dropping it down with resistors however when I dropped it down any appreciable amount I would get stutter / jamming. As pointed out by others some PLA likes higher temps, so perhaps selecting ABS and dropping the temp with resistors could be tried.

I am not sure how I feel about PLA on the up at the moment, I have only tried opaque orange, and clear green ultimachine filament which is pretty decent stuff (what makergear ships with the m2 etc..). Support material wasn't very removable for me even with a desk fan, and lowering the temps caused stuttering. I have an afinia so I have to wait for the latest rom, but not printing the first layer on raftless will be nice and make raftless prints alot cleaner. Similarly I had stringing and there are no options on the up! for handling filament retraction to try and minimize it.

I also don't really have a good baseline on how well PLA can be printed even on a printer tuned for it (it definitely is not as easy as ABS), it could be that the up! is doing an admiral job I just don't know it. I am trying to fit in a trip to Pasadena to check out the deezmaker bukobot store as they print almost exclusively PLA.

I think there is a reason that up! doesn't have an OEM PLA filament, it is just too finicky for software without options.

Also one of the reasons I want to print PLA is because of the fumes issue, however surprisingly I seemed to react more to the PLA fumes, an experience which has me building a fume box to put the printer in just so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

I also don't really have a good baseline on how well PLA can be printed even on a printer tuned for it (it definitely is not as easy as ABS), it could be that the up! is doing an admiral job I just don't know it. I am trying to fit in a trip to Pasadena to check out the deezmaker bukobot store as they print almost exclusively PLA.
I checked out the new Replicator 2 at Makerbot's store and it made amazing pla parts, no stringing. the platform was machined acrylic and not heated.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello,

If you have time to test printing with PLA try to print with software version 1.15, I had better results with that version. I don't know for sure yet if the retraction rate is different but I printed better models with exactly the same PLA on the same machine but with 1.15, the support came off very easy and there was no stringing which happened when 1.16 printed earlier...

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:22 pm

I believe the ROM files have the extrusion temperature control, so try an older ROM.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists