printer goes crazy on last layer of print :o

talk about anything
anchange

printer goes crazy on last layer of print :o

Post by anchange » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 am

I have been having an odd issue when printing. The print goes fine until the last layer and then the printer goes crazy. The z height changes so that the head hits the part and it keeps trying to print. This has happened twice so far. Any ideas? It's almost like it's trying to go back and print a previous layer over again.

Also sometimes when a print finishes the head just moves to the side and stops but the printer doesn't beep indicating that the print is finished and it also doesn't move the y axis to present the part like normal. I am printing with the USB plug unplugged already.

Any help would be appreciated.

smarterengineering

Re: printer goes crazy on last layer of print :o

Post by smarterengineering » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 am

Thankyou!!

Someone else with the same problem as me, i was hoping it wasnt my computer. I lost quite a few prints. Find my post about it, the printer would either keep printing in mid air extruding a lot of plastic or it would drive around crazily.

Contact your local seller it may be a warranty issue, they may need you to send your machine back.

Unfortunately mine is still out of order being fixed so i cant help you with any ideas of what it was.

DeanR

Post by DeanR » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi, I have had this problem a few times. What I notice is if I check my stl file in netfabb and save a as repaired file
, the printer goes crazy after the print finishes. If I do the same print with the file saved as a stl direct from Solidworks, I have no problem. Not sure if this helps but just something I noticed

anchange

Post by anchange » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Interesting. All my stl files are direct from solidworks. Some times it does it sometimes it doesn't with the same identical file and the identical print settings. It's frustrating that you can't see the gcode that's exported, I'd like to see if there is something in the code creation that is weird or if it's on the side of the printer...

anchange

Post by anchange » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Are you guys unplugging your USB or leaving it in? I'm wondering if the time in which you unplug has something to do with it. Maybe you have to get through a few layers before you unplug or it freaks out at the end of the code or something. Don't have much evidence to support this just a hunch.

DeanR

Post by DeanR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 am

Hi, no, I am leaving the USB cable attached. I am about to perform another print with a Netfabb repaired file and then I will do the same model straight out of Solidworks to compare again, so will let you know the outcome when finished.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:28 am

You can unplug the USB as soon as you hear the first beep after clicking print.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

anchange

Post by anchange » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:29 am

I have a new theory -
If you're running code that is shorter then the previous code you ran once the printer is done with the current code it still sees the previous code in its memory and starts trying to continue the print with it. In other words the memory isn't wiped between printers.

This is just a thought but it seems to make sense. My issue only comes at the final layer of a print and I noticed that I think it started doing outlines of a previous part I had printed... I think.

anchange

Post by anchange » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 am

I'm sure now that the problem I'm having is as I described in my previous post. I did some testing and that's it. If I power down the machine unplug the ac adapter and wait a minute it seems to clear the memory and work fine. Add this to the list of odd problems that I've experienced with my up...

smarterengineering

Post by smarterengineering » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 am

Interesting idea, not sure how it would go as i havnt done any testing on mine with that.

Ill see how it goes when i get it back.

Definitely something that needs to be looked at, unfortunately we cant see the code to get an idea.

forbinone

Post by forbinone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:16 am

The solution for me was to connect the UP! direct to the computer.The UP! doesn't seem to like running off a USB hub in my experience. Disconnecting it didn't solve the problem.

jlamarche

Post by jlamarche » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:51 pm

I've seen this problem a few times.

Are you, by any chance, using the Mac client?

I've found that by deleting

~/Library/Saved Application State/Delta-Micro-Factory-Corp.UP.savedState

and

~/Library/Preferences/Delta-Micro-Factory-Corp.UP.plist

the problem goes away. Unfortunately, doing that causes it to lose all my configuration settings, so I have to re-set the platarom height and setup values, but at least I can print again without ruining models.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:23 am

I've experienced the code problem on a Mini, too. When I knew for sure was when I printed the calibration model and at the end of the next (lower height) print the platform went crazy and the print head moved in the pattern of the calibrate model. So the four highest points were ''printed'' in mid air.

I believe PP3DP said something about removing the microSD card and that it was a problem with that.. Haven't had time yet to get into this.

BTW: it was on a windows PC.