New Nozzle, Bad output

talk about anything
ata0921

New Nozzle, Bad output

Post by ata0921 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 am

So I recently had to send my hot end assembly back for and exchange. The thermocouple/cartridge heater wires had fatigued due to the many heat cycles it's printed through. But now when I print, everything looks like crap, it's more or less not extruding enough. It's to the point where I'm able to look through the top and see the interior cause its so spotty. Watching the extrusion, it looks more beady than solid like it usually is. Only difference is the design of the nozzle, take a look at the picture. Does anyone else have a nozzle like that, if so, are you printing OK with it?

I've also linked a photo of a part that shows signs of what I went into detail above.

http://i.imgur.com/1bwLD.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/sXjBA.jpg?1
- Andy

wilsonj

Re: New Nozzle, Bad output

Post by wilsonj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 am

I also just had my hot end replaced. The new tip is longer than the old one, but I haven't had any printing issues though.

Is that picture a completed top layer ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 am

ata0921 wrote:So I recently had to send my hot end assembly back for and exchange. The thermocouple/cartridge heater wires had fatigued due to the many heat cycles it's printed through. But now when I print, everything looks like crap, it's more or less not extruding enough. It's to the point where I'm able to look through the top and see the interior cause its so spotty. Watching the extrusion, it looks more beady than solid like it usually is. Only difference is the design of the nozzle, take a look at the picture. Does anyone else have a nozzle like that, if so, are you printing OK with it?

I've also linked a photo of a part that shows signs of what I went into detail above.

http://i.imgur.com/1bwLD.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/sXjBA.jpg?1
Yes, I have nozzles that look like that and they print fine. I will say though that the whole hot end is extremely critical: anything being not just right - heater temp, nozzle hole, etc. - can mess things up badly.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:25 am

To me, it looks like the flow is too low.
This could be caused by:
1.The extruder gear is slipping over the filament - most likely
2.The filament volume (ie, diameter) is lower than it should be - are you using 3rd party filament ?
3.The extruder stepper motor is stalling - suggesting a blockage in the nozzle
4.The heater is too cold which would cause slipping or stalling

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 pm

wilsonj wrote:I also just had my hot end replaced. The new tip is longer than the old one, but I haven't had any printing issues though.

Is that picture a completed top layer ?
Yup, that's a completed print job. The top layer is very sparse.
eyUP wrote:To me, it looks like the flow is too low.
This could be caused by:
1.The extruder gear is slipping over the filament - most likely
2.The filament volume (ie, diameter) is lower than it should be - are you using 3rd party filament ?
3.The extruder stepper motor is stalling - suggesting a blockage in the nozzle
4.The heater is too cold which would cause slipping or stalling
No obvious signs of any of the above, but I didn't check the filament diameter. I'm only using official PP3DP plastic on this new extruder. I'll keep troubleshooting...
- Andy

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Although this doesn't help your issue, one thing I have noticed is I seem to get more "ooze" before the print begins. I'm going to swap back to the original nozzle and see if I notice a difference.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:20 am

Filament diameter more or less is along the lines of usual. Could it be a calibration issue? I guess it's been awhile since I've ran it, the circles don't quite turn out circular. Would that throw off the fill?

As for more oozing, I've def noticed that too. I guess it makes sense, being that the nozzles are a bit longer therefore a bit more of a melt chamber? My guess is that the new design is along the lines of the MakerBot MK8 redesign, more or less for PLA? Not sure the logic behind it, but that was the one thing they touted being a reason for the change. The only difference between MK7 and MK8 was the length.
- Andy

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 am

So turns out the issue was the Y axis working itself loose. Tightened that up and all was good. Good thing I noticed the skewed circles, I wouldn't have known to investigate if it weren't for that.
- Andy

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 am

Glad you got it sorted.

When you say the Y axis was loose do you mean the M4 bolt holding the extruder arrangement to the bracket ? Or something else ?
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au