Wish List

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Thorleif
Wishing a viewer

Post by Thorleif » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I love my UP3D, but I would be very happy if you would make a tiny fast viewing software.
A program that will accept .stl and .UP3 files, and simply show them as 3D images on the screen.
Maybe, but not nessesarily, with a simple rotate function.
This will be extremely helpfull when browsing my file folders in search for a particular object.

roller

Re: Wish List

Post by roller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 pm

A quick google will give you many solutions for viewing STLs. I use GLC Player as a library viewer http://www.glc-player.net/ and Netfabb basic for any modifications (both free). I never bother rotating because even if you arrange it nicely to vertices I often find I want to print to a different arrangement plus Place sometimes has a mind of it's own anyway.

UP3 files probably need a viewer from PP3DP but if they divert resources from the rest of the long waited wish list you will make all the other Up users grumpy ;)
Even the patches to fix the Mini levelling have made some users a little grumpy.

Oleg

Post by Oleg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 am

My wish list.

For hardware.
1.Please add "full power off" after finish of print.

For software.
2.Please please please add ultrafine filling part for printing small strong models. I see this as spiral method of printing. It will allow to print small text labels. Now small letters are printed empty or partially filled.

3.Ability to adjust size of shell . Now the thick approx 1.5-2mm for all models and can not be changed.

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:59 am

It's kinda funny... with ABS I LOVE the UP!!!! :D :D :D
For PLA - The UP! has KILLED MY INNER CHILD :cry: :cry: :cry:
With the fixed settings for extruder temp and bed temp I CANNOT get PLA to stick properly to the bed. The only way i could get them to stick was with mods to trick it to certain temps.

Because of the above is mainly for my wish list - putting another signature to these already mentioned - so to speak ;)
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE could you add the following -
- Ability to turn ALL Support off.
- User adjustable Extruder head temperature.
- User adjustable platform temperature + ability to turn platform heater off while printing.
For hardware -
- Please add "full power off" after finish of print.
(I have had SO MANY times when a print is finishing off in the middle of the night - this would seriously help)

Also, could someone from PP3DP please let me and everyone know what is happening with these?
These I think are the fundamental serious things that REALLY need to be added/changed.

markfarnell

porting UP to Linux and making it open-source (was Re: Wish

Post by markfarnell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:07 am

Here are two more to add:

- given many people using the printer are from the enthusiast community such as various Hackerspace groups, most (if not all) of them run Linux, so we better port the program to Linux to target this large market

- making UP open-source to tap into the large developer community, and this will make support of the UP software in increasing number of systems (Windows, Mac, Linux etc) much easier, and therefore **increase the sale volume of your pp3dp printer**

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am

- given many people using the printer are from the enthusiast community such as various Hackerspace groups, most (if not all) of them run Linux, so we better port the program to Linux to target this large market
+1 for running from Linux although I feel any platform other than Windows will always lag behind the Windows development
- making UP open-source to tap into the large developer community, and this will make support of the UP software in increasing number of systems (Windows, Mac, Linux etc) much easier, and therefore **increase the sale volume of your pp3dp printer**
-1 for this - I can't see them ever doing it...the software is the magic which makes the printers work so well - the printer itself is just hardware which anyone could copy and the electronics could be swapped for Arduino based reprap boards and the software modified to talk to that instead. If you had great 3D slicing and support generating software would you just "give it away" ?
Last edited by eyUP on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:55 am

Yeah, like eyUP said that is never going to happen... nophead and others have spent hours staring at Up printers to work out the "secret sauce" to easy support removal. There is no way they will give away that secret by opening up the code.

A linux version will be nice but I suspect it will be just as rubbish as the Mac version and you will end up using a VM to save you tearing your hair out and any enthusiast in a hackerspace who isn't already quite familiar with running a few VMs needs to be run out of town... erm, out of the hackerspace ;)

JMS3D

Post by JMS3D » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm

I have had my printer since December of last year. I agree with your requested updates, especially a status of what layer is being printed and time elapsed. I would also like to see a better way to change filament. Wouldn't it be great to imbed a pause in the STL file at the point you want to change colors, have the print head go to a "neutral corner while keeping the print head hot and automatically starting to eject the existing color. Then, while the print head is still hot, you could feed the new color and hit a feed button to make the print head start to feed the new material color. Doing it now takes at least 3 minutes and the new material doesn't always stick well to the previous print.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 pm

especially a status of what layer is being printed and time elapsed
Based on how the Up! printers print, this may not be possible. The printer does not work interactively with the software during print unlike most other printers - this has the advantage of being able to unplug the USB from the printer while it prints but the disadvantage that it probably does not provide feedback to the software. I am not saying it is not doable but it would be a bigger firmware and software rewrite and we have enough trouble just getting the basic requests put in the software. On the other hand the software could guess the layer being printed just like the Windows software guesses remaining time based on the generated gcode. Of course first I would just like to see the basics like the existing Windows features make their way into the Mac version.

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:39 pm

The Up! Mini printer actually sends the layer number it's printing via USB back to the host and windows software displays it correctly in the Windows 1.18 version, but the remaining time seems to be a gueastimate ;-)

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:38 pm

the up plus gui takes usb feedback from the printer and accuratly shows what layer is printing. what is missing is just a number mext to this showing how many layers the job consists of. this already shown as the job is loaded and should be a very simple addition to the bottom of the gui once job starts, as it needs no feedback from the printer

cheers

peter

as i guess with most others i would sacrifice this andmany other wishes, just to have contollable extrude andlatform temperature

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:48 pm

what is missing is just a number mext to this showing how many layers the job consists of
Yes, agree. Simple and useful. Sorry I misunderstood the question previously...

benglish

Post by benglish » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 am

A great list! I agree with most. A few more wishes, if I may:

Shift X coordinates of initial raft layer lines
-Could you please shift the initial raft layer line's X coordinate a little bit each print? On my Up! Plus the lines on the first layer of the raft (going in the Y direction, left-right as you are looking straight at the printer) seem to always line up on top of each other, resulting in the same small area of the bed being attached to. I'm still using my scribed GFP board (same material as perf board) on the my first Up! plus and the perf board on the second Up! plus. If the first layer of the raft started a little bit shifted each time we could go much longer in between cleaning the print beds (and poking ABS out of the perf board holes). This would be fantastic, allowing the rafts to stick better and allow more prints before cleaning the print bed. I've attached a picture showing what I mean. There have only been 6-8 prints since last cleaning so it isn't very distinct, but hopefully you can see what I mean. You should be able to see the strips of "unused" bed area between the raft lines.
Up Raft Overlapping.JPG
Raft line overlaps
Up Raft Overlapping.JPG (136.28KiB)Viewed 36213 times
Button request: Move part to bed
-I'd like to be able to select a part in the viewer and then "drop" it to the print bed. Right now if I want to do that I use the "Place" button, which moves all the parts and rotates them. I'd like to be able to select an specific and individual part and have a function which moves that part down (-Z) until it's lowest edge is just touching the print bed.

Button request: Orient surface down
-I'd like to be able to select a flat surface of a part and use a function to rotate the part so that that flat surface is parallel to the bed (ie: the XY plane). This would help placing parts on the print bed which were rotated some unknown amount during the design process but have a nice flat bottom which needs to be rotated so that it is the bottom of the part when printed. A number of parts designed in solidworks and other cad programs as parts of larger assemblies that have a flat bottom but are exported rotated. Yes, you can use the CAD program to do this with some work, but I've seen other printer softwares have this as a standard feature. It makes things much easier.

+1 No Support Option.

Thanks!

+Blake

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Blake,

Your move part to bed in present software is not needed. Even if you leave the object floating above the bed, or sliced by the bed, the software ignores it and always starts the lowest part of the object at the bed. I even asked for slightly different version of your request, the ability to position the object partly below the bed and for the software to recognize this and only print that part of the object that was shown above the bed. The idea being that if a print failed part way through, the object could be set to commence a new print from where the old one failed and then both parts could be welded with MEK/Actenoe.

But don't hold your breath, most of this wish list has been ignored by the manufacturer !

cheers

Perter

xpeace

Post by xpeace » Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 pm

As usual improved Resolution ...

Fabbster today released Images of 0.05 mm Prints on their old Fabbster Model. http://www.fabbster.de/fabcon2.php
If we would add a ball bearing to the Material holder, and add functions for not only feeding in material but also by reversing the material a bit, or use smaller material feeding steps - is there any chance to increase the UPs Resolution any further ? Print Time does not matter !

BR
xpeace

kvfive

Post by kvfive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:51 am

Today I did my first print with the 'fine' print quality enabled, immediately noticed how much slower the print head / extruder moved.

Is there anyway in which I can print the main model in 'Normal' print quality but the raft to be printed much slower in the 'Fine' print mode ?

I just think printing the raft slow & precise may help in eliminating the dreaded lift in the corners.

Just a thought :-)

Gustav

Post by Gustav » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:44 pm

A possibility in the program to spit larger models for printing in parts.

Maarten Visser

Post by Maarten Visser » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:25 pm

I agree with all, and would like to add:
- move on/ off switch to front.
- allow standalone printing: so for a big print job I can turn off the computer, let the printer print and it will switch itself off when done.
- wifi/ bluetooth would be nice
that was it, thanks.
greetings from Holland
Maarten

hobbymods

Post by hobbymods » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:15 pm

As well as

1. auto powering down after a print
2. Adjustable nozzle temp without tripping "nozzle too cold" etc

I would like to see the first 4 layers (2 coarse, 2 medium) of the raft be simpler in design, and not take into account every little detail of the print.

Fair enough the last 3 dense layers of the raft showing detail, but the first 4 just slow things down and sometimes cause bits of lifting in the early stages of the raft.

Why not just outline (unless a big 2cm2 plus opening in middle of the print) then left/right filling lines for first 2, then front/back support for full outline for next 2 THEN lay some detail in the next/last 3 layers of raft.

This would use hardly any more plastic, less time, and hopefully they'd do the first 2 layers in a nice constant extrusion without needing to lift the nozzle all the time.

Surely this would be better?

roller

Post by roller » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 am

hobbymods wrote:
I would like to see the first 4 layers (2 coarse, 2 medium) of the raft be simpler in design, and not take into account every little detail of the print.
Actually there is a reason. By having a consistent brim the shrink is more consistent and you are less likely to get a warp that will lift an edge of the raft - an averaged and inconsistent brim is more likely to lift. Once you get a major lift anywhere your print is at risk.