Extrusion stops mid-print

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
andrewmwright

Extrusion stops mid-print

Post by andrewmwright » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:58 am

Hello, I've searched the forum and can't seem to find my specific problem mentioned

For the last two days now my printer (Up! Plus purchased April 2012) has been having a problem where it will start a print and then at some point during the job will cease extruding plastic but keep working as if it is. "Air printing" if you will. This happens at different times with each print, but has happened consistently on my last ~30 print attempts. Sometimes the extrusion stops during the raft, sometimes halfway through the print, and sometimes nothing extrudes at all. I'm printing with pp3dp ABS, and have swapped between 3 different spools with no difference. When the extrusion stops and I stop the print, the "Extrude" function in the maintenance window doesn't work (extrusion gear wears into the filament), so I do a "Withdraw" and then an "Extrude", which then works perfectly fine, which would lead me to believe its not the extruder tip that's the problem.

In my desperate attempts to get this working, I have taken the print head apart 6 times, each time clearing the extrusion gear of all filament dust. I've also soaked the extruder tips (I have two that I've tried) in acetone overnight until completely clear. After cleaning the "Extrude" function works fine as always, as does the beginning of the print until it inevitably stops extruding.

I'm running firmware ROM version 6.07 on the printer, Up! software v1.18 on Windows 8 and v1.4 on Mac OS 10.8 (tried both computers, same result). I've tried reinstalling drivers, reinstalling software, downgrading firmware (not possible apparently), and using .stl files from 4 different modeling programs, getting the same problem each time, without fail.

Up until this weekend the printer has been working perfectly fine with this exact set up, so I really am at a loss as to what could be causing it. If anyone has experienced this at all and has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

DytHlt

Re: Extrusion stops mid-print

Post by DytHlt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 am

When it stops extruding, does the extruder motor stop turning, or is the extruder motor still trying to extrude, but it can't push the filament through?

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 am

Is the environment you are working in a bit dusty? There are reports that the ABS filament will attract dust etc, presumably static as the filament is a good insulator., This dust gets dragged into the nozzle, accumulates there and can jam it up. A simple cure is to get a small piece of soft cushion type foam and feed the filament through it so that the filament is dragged through the foam and the dust is collected in the foam. Just a thought.

cheers

Peter

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Andrew,

to get to the bottom of your problem, please run the following tests.

Check spool is free.
check nozzle is clear, and hothead tube is clear.
check bearing and feeder stepper motor works, stepper teeth are clean and spin freely.

if your good there, then get a temp probe on the hothead block and check if you getting the correct temp, compared to what the software says...

hope this helps...

Muraterciyas

Post by Muraterciyas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Dear Andrew,
I do have the same problem for the last couple weeks,
Did you find a solution to this problem?
Thank you
Murat
andrewmwright wrote:Hello, I've searched the forum and can't seem to find my specific problem mentioned

For the last two days now my printer (Up! Plus purchased April 2012) has been having a problem where it will start a print and then at some point during the job will cease extruding plastic but keep working as if it is. "Air printing" if you will. This happens at different times with each print, but has happened consistently on my last ~30 print attempts. Sometimes the extrusion stops during the raft, sometimes halfway through the print, and sometimes nothing extrudes at all. I'm printing with pp3dp ABS, and have swapped between 3 different spools with no difference. When the extrusion stops and I stop the print, the "Extrude" function in the maintenance window doesn't work (extrusion gear wears into the filament), so I do a "Withdraw" and then an "Extrude", which then works perfectly fine, which would lead me to believe its not the extruder tip that's the problem.

In my desperate attempts to get this working, I have taken the print head apart 6 times, each time clearing the extrusion gear of all filament dust. I've also soaked the extruder tips (I have two that I've tried) in acetone overnight until completely clear. After cleaning the "Extrude" function works fine as always, as does the beginning of the print until it inevitably stops extruding.

I'm running firmware ROM version 6.07 on the printer, Up! software v1.18 on Windows 8 and v1.4 on Mac OS 10.8 (tried both computers, same result). I've tried reinstalling drivers, reinstalling software, downgrading firmware (not possible apparently), and using .stl files from 4 different modeling programs, getting the same problem each time, without fail.

Up until this weekend the printer has been working perfectly fine with this exact set up, so I really am at a loss as to what could be causing it. If anyone has experienced this at all and has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Muraterciyas

Post by Muraterciyas » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:23 am

Hi Andrew,
I am having the same problem.
Did you find a solution.
Thank you
Murat

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 pm

padorange

Post by padorange » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:10 pm

First, sorry for my poor english, i'm french.

I also have had this problem many times.

First, the spool must be free to wheel : as i was using a large filament spool i build an autonomous spool holder : it works fine.
Second, the tooth of the motors must be clean, when filament is hard to get the motor tooth can been filed with plastic pieces, use the toothbrush.
Third, the noozle can get jammed with dust, clean it if necessary

But all this do not works each time.
For my part, i got the same problem today and all the previous solution (i used before) do not works this time.

I suspect a problem with temperature, my room is very hot those days and the head motor is very hot...

TheVNprinter

Post by TheVNprinter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:33 pm

I'm using an Airwolf XL and am having the same issue.

I have had a clog before, but this is unlike it. All the symptoms are the same, but I believe I have found the issue.

I have been using filament from Airwolf and just recently started using from a different provider. It's been working fine until just today.

My suspicion: Air bubbles in the filament.

I took a razor and a small snippet of both filaments and whittled away to the center of each. Sure enough, the new stuff from a random provider is laced with air bubbles and the old stuff from Airwolf is solid.

My Theory: It extrudes fine for a few layers, but as the nozzle starts eating up all those air bubbles, it begins to build up into one big pressure pocket in the hot end. This keeps the filament from getting pulled down and you end up rubbing up against the gears and getting that little patch of wear.

tommyboymustdie

Post by tommyboymustdie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:10 am

Hey guys,

Did anyone solve this issue?
I have tried everything i could:

1) cleaned the nozzle many times. I am sure i am an expert in doing this now.

2) clean the feeding gears.

3) I have ROM V6.70 and V3.03 for Firmware (not sure where to download the newest ROM or Firmware)

Thanks.

jmog

Post by jmog » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:57 am

Dear Andrew and Murat,

Did you find any solution for this problem, I am facing the same problem. I contacted 3d printing systems and they told me I should try printing with a desk fan on, or look in third party accesories that will help adjust the printing temperature, but this could void the warranty.

Regards,

Joaquin
Muraterciyas wrote:Dear Andrew,
I do have the same problem for the last couple weeks,
Did you find a solution to this problem?
Thank you
Murat
andrewmwright wrote:Hello, I've searched the forum and can't seem to find my specific problem mentioned

ahntlia

Post by ahntlia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:35 am

Same problem here,

My up mini was bought dec 2013 now after a while it just doesnt work. The problem is exactly the same reported here, same factors.
In fact I ordered new nozzles and swap them with no result.

Any hints?

I provide low cost printing service and it's my 2nd week without service because of this.

padorange

Post by padorange » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:12 am

I Got a similar problem (air print) after many test and analyze, i finally ended changing the filament (a have 2 big in stock) and now it work fine.
The filament quality (diameter and no air bubble in it) is fondamental.