Platform won't lift up

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
tjhayasaka

Platform won't lift up

Post by tjhayasaka » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 am

My newly purchased UP! Plus printer doesn't work as expected. Please help.

Y is steady, but X and Z are weak. X doesn't move to home position on initialization. Z can't lift up by itself. Please find the movie on http://web00.creamlab.net/tmp/up/ for the behavior and the noise.

What I did are as following:
  • set up the printer according to the UP! User Manual.
  • set nozzle height.
  • started printing the calibration model (Calibrate96.UP3) using default settings. this is my first print and it started flawlessly, X and Z were working at this moment.
  • after rafts and some layers printed, X stopped moving.
  • cancelled the print.
  • cycled the power and initiated initialization. X still not working. found Z is not working too.
  • removed the cover and inspected throughout the board and wirings. didn't found any problems except a whisker on a heat sink. unplug and replugged the connectors. still X and Z not working.

The power regulator and the motor drivers seem to be ok. I checked the waveforms on the motors with an oscilloscope, and took +/- 20V (40Vp-p), bi-phase, sub-stepped pulses.

I emailed about this problem to support@pp3dp.com twice (on Mar 10 and Mar 24), but I got no response. Is that wrong address to send?

UP! Plus, Model: 3DP-14-4A
UP! Software 1.18
Windows Vista 32bit, Japanese
Plugin power: 100V AC 50Hz
Ambient temp/hum: 15 C 60%

Tiertime-Roman

Re: Platform won't lift up

Post by Tiertime-Roman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 am

It seems that the main board is in issue, where did you purchase this machine?

tjhayasaka

Post by tjhayasaka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:38 am

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

it could be that the UP left the factory without the bearings/shafts being greased, does the platform etc move freely if lifted/moved by hand?

cheers

Peter

tjhayasaka

Post by tjhayasaka » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 am

Thank you. It seems that rotation bearings and linear guides are properly greased.

With power switched off, all axes can be moved by finger with about 0.25 kgw force applied to compensate clogging.

tjhayasaka

Post by tjhayasaka » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Finally I got it working. What I did are:
  • replaced the Z axis motor with a new one (Mercury motor SM-42BYG011), and
  • applied some super glue between the shaft and the gear of the X and Z axis motors.
Probably only what I really needed to do was super gluing the gears.