Thinking about getting an UP! and have some questions...

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
UPUPandAway

Re: Thinking about getting an UP! and have some questions...

Post by UPUPandAway » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Does anyone have pics so i know for sure what the new one looks like? I'm scared to do something without being sure, but I really want to print this weekend.

Here's some pics of my printer, if that helps:

Also, for those that aren't familiar with the male-male cable, it has the same connector as the 5V power supplies, but has them on both ends. All I know is that I have 2 5V power supplies and one male-male cable and no clue which configuration I need. Worst case, what order of "guess and check" could I use so that I don't fry the motherboard if I'm wrong?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Okay you don't have the new model.

forget using the small power connector on the back, cover it up.

Then use the 5vdc to the filament feeder and you are away.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:57 pm

So all you have connected to the back of the printer.

Big power supply to the printer.
Small connector cover up. (this outputs 5vdc)

Filament feeder use the 5vdc power supply.

Put any spare lead, etc in a box.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

UPUPandAway

Post by UPUPandAway » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Cool! Thanks! I'll post back with the results of my first print later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys, I plan to return to the favor if/when I come up with ideas to improve print quality/ease of use. It's good to know there's such a good community behind these things, it's almost better than having a 24/7 formal customer service department.

C-Line

Post by C-Line » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:39 am

I have an opportunity to purchase a new (not used) but older version UP! printer at a discount of about $400 to the latest version. The differences between them that I'm aware of are the new mainboard (with latest ROM), new filament feeder, and the power/reset switches. Are there any other differences that I should know about? is there a good reason to spend the extra money on the latest version (performance improvements, future upgrade potential, bug fixes, etc.)? Any advice would be much appreciated!

UPUPandAway

Post by UPUPandAway » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 am

So, I don't know what I was instructed not to use the 5V out on the printer. The filament feeder uses a 5V power supply and runs the filament feeder just fine with the male to male cable. I'm sure this varies depending on which version you have, but it worked great for me.

Anyone know why that particular port used to require a 5V power adapter rather than outputting 5V?

trebuchet03

Post by trebuchet03 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:04 am

UPUPandAway wrote: Anyone know why that particular port used to require a 5V power adapter rather than outputting 5V?
I do!

The original design that was shipped out does not have a regulator to power the MCU. That extra 5V power supply actually powers the MCU - you could have the printer "on" and communicating with your host machine without having all of the stepper motors energized. Not the most useful thing but there are certainly production reasons to do this.

I imagine if you were to take a look at the new circuit board (main board), there would be a surface mount regulator that steps the 20V input down to 5V.
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

cbecks

Post by cbecks » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 am

I also have this question. I work all day, but UP is at home, wanting to print. Is it safe to let it print all day while I'm away, and overnight while I sleep?

Has anyone heard of or experienced anything other than safe operation while unattended?

If was just my shed, no problem, but I also live in an apartment complex, and don't want to put anybody at risk.
Last edited by cbecks on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 am

The worst that happened to me is that a larger print has detached from the platform and the print-head screw became loose. The plastic stuck to the head and became black. It does not catch flames, it just gets dark.
Still, I feel uncomfortable leaving it print at home like this, but if you check all the screws it should be alright.

I have a webcam server set up, so I can check on it, and use VNC or a webserver app to shut it off. You can also get cellphone-controlled power switches and such, or create one (50hz modulation ringtone + servo... done).

Worst scenario would be that it prints 14 hours straight and the whole house stinks like burnt plastic ;-) As long as you don't keep dry hey next to your printer, everything should be fine.
There's a company that sells cellphone/GSM power switch, GSM smoke detector and such, that inform you via SMS. But IMHO a way to shut it off and a webcam would do.

araspitfire

Post by araspitfire » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

Everyone makes their own choices.. but I like to remind people of some certain facts.

the ABS plastic we extrude can be though of as a fuel.... If it catches fire, it could potentially liquify while burning, and run off the printer on to the table, and perhaps the floor...

The melter has the potential, in a malfunction, to ignite the plastic.

If I were to run my printer unatended (which I do), outside the hearing range of the smoke alarm... I'd want to make sure it was sitting on a flame-proof surface and keep the above facts in mind...

Al...

APA

Post by APA » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Too bad this post couldn't get stickied or whatever the equivalent is on this forum. It answers a lot of questions that people who are looking into buying an UP have and would save others from having to dig so much to find it.

UPUPandAway, almost a year later have you been happy with your UP?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 am

Others have covered most of your points pretty thoroughly and my experience has been similar.

I've had pretty much zero lift/warp issues, and I've used only perfboard. Nozzle initial height setting is critical in getting just the right amount of "stick". Using a raft relaxes the level-ness requirements for the platform. If you go raftless then your platform had better be very level.

Odor-wise, the pp3dp white material is almost totally odorless. Colors have more odor, particularly black, but since pp3dp never has any colors I've only used Octave's colored material.

You'll probably have more of an odor issue with the solvents that you'll end up using from time to time - MEK or acetone - than with printing odors.

My Up! has run almost non-stop since its arrival a month or so ago. The first weeks went perfectly but I'm starting to have some nozzle clog issues now which are annoying but surely fixable one way or another. I haven't been successful in printing with PLA yet but ABS has generally worked great.