Gear not turning? Problem with stepper motor?

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
u1077680

Gear not turning? Problem with stepper motor?

Post by u1077680 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:44 am

Trying to establish the source of my "air printing" problem (ie no filament coming out yet the printer continues to print), I have removed the front cover from the print head assembly, as well as the cover in front of the extrude/withdraw gear, in order to observe EXACTLY what is going on I had already cleaned the entire extruder assembly, and then even replaced the extruder assembly with a new one. Without my pc connected, I used the buttons on the side to do an extrude, and observed that the gear was really struggling to turn. Then, I withdrew the filament and did an extrude without any filament loaded - just to see exactly what the gear was doing. And even without filament, the gear was unable to turn. What I'm trying to explain is that without any form of resistance against the gear, it STILL couldn't turn properly. It sort of tried to rotate clockwise as it normally should, but just 'shook' as though it was afflicted with parkinsons disease. You know - like it was trying to turn, but couldn't quite get there.

The usual responses of 'your nozzle is probably clogged' or 'you're printing too close to the board' won't cut it this time, because I've isolated the gear from all of that, by watching it turn without any filament loaded.

Has anybody had this experience? Any advice about what the problem might be?

tel

Re: Gear not turning? Problem with stepper motor?

Post by tel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Could be a couple of problems. It may be the stepper motor that drives the gear or it could be a problem with the board. I'd raise the issue with support so they can try to diagnose.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:13 pm

You could disconnect the stepper and try turning it by hand, if it's overly tight or notchy then it indicates the stepper is mechanically bad.

Andy3D

Post by Andy3D » Wed May 01, 2019 2:50 am

Hey,
I ama having the exact same problem - drive gear stuttering & not actually turning. Its definitely powered and definitely not clogged (I try without any filament) and it just doesnt spin, it kind of makes a noise and stutters.
Really interested to know if you ever found a solution to the problem?

Thanks for any insight you have.
cheers
Andy

u1077680 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:44 am
Trying to establish the source of my "air printing" problem (ie no filament coming out yet the printer continues to print), I have removed the front cover from the print head assembly, as well as the cover in front of the extrude/withdraw gear, in order to observe EXACTLY what is going on I had already cleaned the entire extruder assembly, and then even replaced the extruder assembly with a new one. Without my pc connected, I used the buttons on the side to do an extrude, and observed that the gear was really struggling to turn. Then, I withdrew the filament and did an extrude without any filament loaded - just to see exactly what the gear was doing. And even without filament, the gear was unable to turn. What I'm trying to explain is that without any form of resistance against the gear, it STILL couldn't turn properly. It sort of tried to rotate clockwise as it normally should, but just 'shook' as though it was afflicted with parkinsons disease. You know - like it was trying to turn, but couldn't quite get there.

The usual responses of 'your nozzle is probably clogged' or 'you're printing too close to the board' won't cut it this time, because I've isolated the gear from all of that, by watching it turn without any filament loaded.

Has anybody had this experience? Any advice about what the problem might be?