Printing issues and how-to

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
JimmyTorpedo

Printing issues and how-to

Post by JimmyTorpedo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 am

I am trying to print with UPs PLA Filament. I either get very stringy prints like spiderwebs which causes the nozzle to pick up pieces of plastic and screws up the piece by dragging through printed filament or the print pulls off the bed. All of this is WITHOUT a raft BUT when I do print with a raft and supports they are near to impossible to remove.
    I have adjusted the height of the printer, but I think I may need to manually perform this, I have searched for a how-to but I haven't found one that holds my hand...which I kinda need for the first go round.
      I have adjusted some of the temps, but I for the most part use the PLA settings that are already used.
        I am using blue painters tape, which works okay. I have tried glass but the print slips off the glass, painters tape kinda worked on the glass but I am wondering if my glass is warped. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use with glass or maybe getting a better piece of glass, and how do you attach it to your printer?
          Also does anyone have a better HOW-To for Up Studio software that talks about what each of the options when printing, the layers and supports and the infills and such...I seem to just be clicking each one trying to figure out what works best.
            I am using some foam to keep the filament clean, my next step is to also clean out the extruder nozzle and gear.

Thanks a
            lot,
            James
            “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” HST

pleppik

Re: Printing issues and how-to

Post by pleppik » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Stringy prints and hard-to-remove supports sounds like you're printing too hot. It seems like every printer has a few quirks, so you may need to print a little cooler than standard PLA settings for good results on your printer.

In general, printing on plain glass is not going to adhere too well. You need to coat the glass with something that's going to bond a little better to the plastic. I've had good results with cheap hairspray (look for the stuff that promises super-hold, and look for the word "vinyl" in the ingredients list) on glass.

I would also work on getting consistently good prints WITH a raft before you try raftless. Rafts make the print a lot more forgiving of the bed height adjustment and often give better bed adhesion. Once you've got that working, then you can try raftless.

JimmyTorpedo

Re: Printing issues and how-to

Post by JimmyTorpedo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Pleppik,

Thanks for the response, I am using the default temps for PLA so I will try and adjust through the customization.

Have you had any luck with manual leveling and height adjustment. Every manual I read is for the UP Studio software, and the current version of the software is different.

Thanks again,
            James
            “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” HST