Powering the UP Plus

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
plundh

Powering the UP Plus

Post by plundh » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi all UP_plus users. I recently broke the center pin on my HP power 7.4x5.08mm Plug. As I couldn't find a replacement plug without buying the complete power brick I decided to remove the 7.4mm pcb mount dc jack on the UP Plus circuit board (see attached pix) and connect the power wire directly to the board. It turns out that there are a number possibilities. (I have indicated one possibility in red, but have not tried it as I do not want to damage the board. I'd be grateful if someone could suggest how I should power my UP_plus now that I have removed the CD jack.

Happy New Year!

-Peter
Attachments
Up_plus_Circuit_board_detail.jpg
7.4mm pcb mount dc jack
Up_plus_Circuit_board_detail.jpg (131.58 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
Up_Plus_Circuit_board.jpg
UP_plus circuit board
Up_Plus_Circuit_board.jpg (127.27 KiB) Viewed 4704 times

ricks01

Re: Powering the UP Plus

Post by ricks01 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:37 am

I have seen the same HP power supply on eBay for under $20.

But now that you have removed the jack for the power plug on the motherboard I guess you will need to solder the wires from the power supply cord directly to the motherboard, right?

plundh

Post by plundh » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:29 pm

HI Ricks-

Thanks for reply. Yes, with hindsight it would have been better to buy a new power supply from eBay. But it would be much appreciated if someone could tell me where to connect plus and ground on the circuit board.

Many thanks in advance.

-Peter

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:28 pm

If you can no longer identify which of the power plug leads went to which solder pad, then I guess you maybe able to work it out using a continuity meter. The ground solder pad will buzz out with any obvious ground track on the board and I assume the metal shroud around the USB connector.

Also I am assuming that the PCB ground is negative.

There seem to be some chunky capacitors near the connector, find a large one and check if it is an input smoothing capacitor for the DC from the power supply by buzz its pins to the power connector solder pads. if one pin goes to a pad and the other pin goes to the ground pad then chances are that the non ground capacitor pin is connected to the positive input supply. This all assumes there is no clever feedback line from the PCB that goes back to the power block.

cheers

Peter

plundh

Post by plundh » Sun May 22, 2016 12:00 am

Hi ricks01 and mr6k- I bought a 'DELL VOSTRO 1510 1545 1310 1400 1500 1700 2500 DC Power Socket Jack' on eBay and that fitted just nicely on the motherboard. The UP Plus was up and running again. Many thanks for help.

Best.

-Peter