Ugly overhangs

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
car3less

Ugly overhangs

Post by car3less » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:06 pm

I have an Up Plus 2 since November last year.
It seems that some time ago it started to make ugly overhangs when building organic objects. The material is burnt and the layers are somehow displaced on the curved surfaces. Images attached.

Any ideas why this is happening? :?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG (83.97 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (93.56 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG (81.07 KiB) Viewed 4208 times

FallGuy

Re: Ugly overhangs

Post by FallGuy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:42 pm

What you may want to look at is how clean your nozzle is. After a couple of months of printing I start to notice the same thing in my prints, black spots starting to show up in the model part, but really showing up in the support material which doesn't really matter but it looks ugly. I think what is happening is that every so often you have bits of material that get stuck on the outside of the nozzle and burn black. As the head moves back and forth, some of those little bits of plastic are falling off or touching some of the freshly printed layer and getting pulled off of the nozzle.

I think I would look at taking the nozzle off and soak it in acetone to help clean it off. It may also help clear out any clogs you have in the nozzle too. I once had a partial clog in the nozzle that prevented the ABS from coming straight out of the nozzle. I only noticed the problem when putting new filament in, when you pressed extrude to load it, the little filament string came out at an angle and wanted to curl up. By doing this it would touch the nozzle get stuck on it and turn it black!

I hope this helps. Not too hard to do and might be a good place to start.

Good Luck.
Thanks,

FallGuy

car3less

Post by car3less » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:24 am

we clean the nozzle pretty often... i changed the nozzle with a new one last night. i will see today the results. :(

thank you!!

car3less

Post by car3less » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Changed the nozzle with a new one, replaced Formfutura PLA with original ABS and the print was almost perfect.
:D

Neal

Post by Neal » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:11 am

I gently rub the outside of the nozzle with some emery cloth before almost every print job. This keeps it clean without removing it.