Warping edge

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
cadandy

Warping edge

Post by cadandy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi guys,

I've read all of the different suggestions for warping parts and I'm still struggling to stop a part warping on my up plus 2.

I'm building it on a buildtak base and the temp of the platform is heated to 105 degrees and maintained at that for 5 mins before starting printing.

It's being built with a solid build and I consistently have one corner bending up as seen in the picture. It's a base of an enclosure I'm building with 2.5mm walls.

I've got some abs slurry in some acetone which I am going to try on the perforated board tonight however has anyone got any suggestions on how to stop this? It seems to be breaking apart from the actual raft itself, the raft is sticking to the base ok but then it breaks from the raft.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Attachments
part.jpg
part.jpg (96.76 KiB) Viewed 10528 times

mb20music

Re: Warping edge

Post by mb20music » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:28 am

Do you have the door closed completely on the extruder fan? do you have your printer in an enclosure?

cadandy

Post by cadandy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:26 am

Yes the door is fully closed on the fan and its currently not enclosed. I'll be adding an enclosure at a later stage.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 am

Now this may sound crazy, and I have not tried this myself,
but, I have always noticed that on large area thickish prints the one corner, or sometimes two corner warp. However the warp only seems to occur over the first four or five millimetres. Is there a case for printing A sub base on a model of say five millimetres and then starting the real print from that point., of course I guess one could just print the base five millimetres thicker than desired and then hacksaw or otherwise cut through it after the job was completed, any thoughts on this forum
Cheers

Peter

cadandy

Post by cadandy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Peter,

If I'm correct in what you are suggesting, that won't work either because the moment the base starts to warp or move then the printed item is going to be offset and it's going to be printing in the wrong position.

Cheers
Andy

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Try lowest infill and fast speed.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

cadandy

Post by cadandy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks - unfortunately that didn't work either. It's a 8 cm tall piece and has split at two levels in the build. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting until I get it right.

woofy

Post by woofy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:21 am

Put a cardboard box over the entire printer. It keeps the warmth in and help prevent warping and splitting.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

oganes666

Post by oganes666 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Having same issues with me printer now, before it never happned, it's open, might try putting it in a box, but im afraid that this is no tthe issue here, because for every part i print the edge comes of at the same part of the table, i can rotate the model and the part will come off exactly on the same edge anyway.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 am

you may try to change the compensation value at "3d print-platform calibrate".
You can adjust the compensation value for 9 areas of the platform.
Increase the compensation value for 0.1 or 0.2mm at where consistent warpping occurs.
This essentially make the raft separation at that area less easy which could help hold down the object.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:39 pm

Can try a hotter extrusion temperature. Also, make sure that the filament spool is correctly sized for the spool holder, otherwise the extruder head may have less force pushing plastic out the nozzle.

Here's a link to a guide that may help you: http://www.freethoughtdesigns.com/ultim ... ing-guide/