Print stepper motor playing up

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Billzilla

Print stepper motor playing up

Post by Billzilla » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 am

It's a weird one ...... it'll print just fine on the left side of the platform, but on the right side ( as you look at the machine) it'll kind-of stutter ..... instead of squirting the plastic out it'll just make a stuttering noise and I can see that the motor isn't rotating. When the print nozzle comes back over to the left side, it starts extruding again.
I really need the printer working ASAP, has anyone got any ideas please??

The only odd thing that happened was that I got a nozzle jam yesterday, I pulled the print head off and dismantled it, cleaned the heater & tube with acetone and also the nozzle. Nothing I haven't done before.

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Print stepper motor playing up

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:28 am

Your build plate is not trammed or level to the nozzle, you are describing a classic case of this.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:24 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:Your build plate is not trammed or level to the nozzle, you are describing a classic case of this.
No it's very good.
I also just tried it with the platform right down the bottom and the extruder sitting over to the right and it still does it.

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 am

It's printing right now, but only a small-ish part on the left side only.
Working just fine.

I had to swap over the filament and as a test I moved the extruder over to the right side to retract the filament, again it stuttered until I moved it over to the left side. The wiring and plugs all seem fine.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Maybe a wire in the ribbon cable has a small break in it, from all the moving back and forth of the head when it prints. Or maybe the ribbon cable connector is not making good contact with the socket.

I would think a wire that supplies the power or signal to the extruder stepper.

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 am

mb20music wrote:Maybe a wire in the ribbon cable has a small break in it, from all the moving back and forth of the head when it prints. Or maybe the ribbon cable connector is not making good contact with the socket.

I would think a wire that supplies the power or signal to the extruder stepper.

Well bugger me that seems to be the cause.
I've got a small gadget that goes in between the ribbon cable from the main part of the machine into the printer head and I can control the nozzle temperature with it. With most non-PP3DP ABS plastics the nozzle runs too hot so I use the gadget to reduce the temperature down to about 240° or so.
Just as a test I removed the gadget and it's working fine now.

Guess I'll have to use that DLL mod mentioned in one of the other threads then. Thanks!