Something has changed? But what?

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
norwichphoto

Something has changed? But what?

Post by norwichphoto » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 pm

In December I bought an Up Plus 2 printer and have been very pleased with it. We have been making and selling things all over the world via ebay - we've been hugely impressed with both the quality and the success rate with very few failed prints.

However, last week something has happened and I don't know what. I don't think anything has changed - the printer hasn't moved, I don't think there has been any software updates.

The base / raft of last weeks good prints have been thin and easy to peel off the model. The base / raft of the most recent models is thicker, the extrusion isn't straight and the raft base is loose.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11741662 ... 7--Wl6K6ZQ

In this link are 4 pictures - top and bottom of a good print base (fished out of the bin), and the most recent print base.

I am using genuine Up ABS filament and the same reel is used.

Can anyone shed light on what may be happening?

I have taken out the nozzle and washed it in acetone. I also have some tiny carburetor drills which I have used to make sure the nozzle was clear (0.3mm drill), but it was doing this beforehand.

Help!

mb20music

Re: Something has changed? But what?

Post by mb20music » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Can you maybe take a short video of the printer while it is printing? that might help someone diagnose the issue.
Upload to youtube and provide the link here.

At least you should still be under warranty if you just purchased the printer a few months ago.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 pm

You say you have cleaned the nozzle, but have you also removed the extruder assembly and checked the tube is clear, this is often where "clag" accumulates and can restrict or modify the feed to the nozzle. It is fairly simple to diss-assemble and re-assemble by removing the wind barrier, fan and then undoing the screws in the heatsink that hold the extruder assembly to to the stepper motor. Unplug the heater cable and remove the entire assembly. Ensure the tube is clear and that the stepper motor cog teeth are not clogged with material.

Reassemble all then do a height adjustment calibration (Removing and replacing the nozzle or assembly,almost always requires this ). I just use two thicknesses of 90 gram paper, and adjust the platform until it just pinches the paper lightly between it and the nozzle, first making sure there is no abs protuding from the nozzle !.

cheers

Peter

norwichphoto

Post by norwichphoto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:31 pm

We've stripped down the head of the machine and given everything a good clean. Rebuilt it, set levels/nozzle height and we'll see shortly if its improved things.

norwichphoto

Post by norwichphoto » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:31 am

All seems to be working properly again - nozzle removed and cleaned again. Heating element cleaned out, feeder checked (clean and OK) and nozzle height manually set.