Printer can't initialize anymore... Please help

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
fbcam

Printer can't initialize anymore... Please help

Post by fbcam » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 am

Hi everyone,

I have a big issue with one of my printers. When I turn it on, the front light turns green directly instead of red. Then I can't initialise it using the front switch or by the software. It just does nothing and stay green. Sometime it starts flashing after few seconds/minutes but there is no rule about it. I tried to find a solution on the web but it seems to be nothing about my problem...
Any idea? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers (Sorry for the bad english)

teamcarlisle

Re: Printer can't initialize anymore... Please help

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:48 am

I've had this happen before, the fix for me was to unplug the power cable from the unit and leave it overnight and plug it back in the next day. Its some kind of issue with a static discharge hitting the printer. Support will usually try to tell you the cpu/motherboard is dead. (And in some cases that might be correct) But on both my Afinia brand and the Up Plus version removing power overnight did the trick. And yes, overnight, for some reason just a few hours doesnt do the trick.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 am

Most likely it is a bad CPU. The CPU boards have a "reset" button on them, you can press the button and see if it fixes it.

You stated you have other printers, are they UP! / Afinia printers? if so you can swap out the CPU boards and then you will know for sure if it is a bad CPU or something else.

fbcam

Post by fbcam » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:29 am

Hi,
Thank you for the answers. Ok I try to unplug everything and wait until tomorrow. I have another Up! Plus so if the first solution fails I can try to swap out the CPU boards. I tried to reset the board but nothing happened.
I'll let you know tomorrow.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:57 am

fbcam wrote:Hi,
Thank you for the answers. Ok I try to unplug everything and wait until tomorrow. I have another Up! Plus so if the first solution fails I can try to swap out the CPU boards. I tried to reset the board but nothing happened.
I'll let you know tomorrow.
Did you swap out the CPU board yet?

fbcam

Post by fbcam » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:23 am

Ok I tried to wait overnight but it was the same. Then I swapped the CPU board with another printer and yeah it definitely seems to be dead :cry: thank you for your advice guys.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:29 pm

fbcam wrote:Ok I tried to wait overnight but it was the same. Then I swapped the CPU board with another printer and yeah it definitely seems to be dead :cry: thank you for your advice guys.
No problem, sorry to hear that it is indeed a bad CPU board as they are very expensive to replace (unless under warranty).

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Did you try swopping the SD card on the board, from your good board ? It maybe the card not the board !

cheers

Peter

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:35 am

mr6k wrote:Did you try swopping the SD card on the board, from your good board ? It maybe the card not the board !

cheers

Peter
The SD card has nothing to do with this. Even with the SD card absent these printers will communicate with the computer and initialize providing of course the CPU card is not bad.

cadcam

Post by cadcam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 pm

I assume the processors are standard chips, has anyone managed to replace/resolder a processor?

Is there anyone who sells replacement processors at a reasonable price?

As I understand it the boards/cpus are the same between the min and Up som it is actually cheaper to buy a mini than a replacement cpu. I can understand pp3dp wanting to stop people buying the hardaware and making alternative systems, but a cpu replacement, or possibly an exchange. could be more reasonable.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 pm

cadcam wrote:I assume the processors are standard chips, has anyone managed to replace/resolder a processor?

Is there anyone who sells replacement processors at a reasonable price?

As I understand it the boards/cpus are the same between the min and Up som it is actually cheaper to buy a mini than a replacement cpu. I can understand pp3dp wanting to stop people buying the hardaware and making alternative systems, but a cpu replacement, or possibly an exchange. could be more reasonable.

Someone on this forum contacted PP3DP via email about the price of the CPU Board and Main Board several weeks ago and he stated he was informed that the price for the CPU Board is around $350 US and around $250 for a new Main Board.

However the pricing for the items on this website store are showing $1100 for the CPU Board and $400 for the Main Board...

So if you need a replacement, you might try contacting PP3dp.