heatbed temp during prints

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
R-A

heatbed temp during prints

Post by R-A » Wed May 14, 2014 11:49 am

Hi,

Can anyone please confirm, what is the "normal" temperature on the Up Plus! 2, during prints? Using ABS. I have a new problem with parts coming off the bed, even with a raft and have a feeling it might be the new spool filament which I loaded 2 days ago, but want to confirm it's that and not the heatbed.

I can touch the heatbed during a print (about 20 minutes in) and the UP Plus! software says it's "31% Heating".

Is this normal, or should the heatbed be much hotter?
Attachments
heatbed.jpg
heatbed.jpg (98.97 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

mb20music

Re: heatbed temp during prints

Post by mb20music » Wed May 14, 2014 12:56 pm

You should be at 100% heating after 20 minutes, or very close to it. Sounds like the table heater is bad. You should be still under warranty since you have the UP! Plus 2, contact your UP! distributor.

R-A

Post by R-A » Wed May 14, 2014 6:13 pm

mb20music wrote:You should be at 100% heating after 20 minutes, or very close to it. Sounds like the table heater is bad. You should be still under warranty since you have the UP! Plus 2, contact your UP! distributor.
Thanx, I suspected as much. Closer inspection revealed that the heater cartridge has burnt out. I'll have to phone them tomorrow and see what they say.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 pm

R-A wrote:
mb20music wrote:You should be at 100% heating after 20 minutes, or very close to it. Sounds like the table heater is bad. You should be still under warranty since you have the UP! Plus 2, contact your UP! distributor.
Thanx, I suspected as much. Closer inspection revealed that the heater cartridge has burnt out. I'll have to phone them tomorrow and see what they say.
The heater cartridges are the main weak spot with these printers. I have had to replace quite a few of them unfortunately, and so have many other people.

R-A

Post by R-A » Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 pm

mb20music wrote:
R-A wrote:
The heater cartridges are the main weak spot with these printers. I have had to replace quite a few of them unfortunately, and so have many other people.
Is it a warranty part?

And what does one do to better protect it? I suspect it breaks so quickly because the wires aren't properly insulated from the heat. I see on the forums some people's cables break, as it wraps around the bearing. In my case the cable broke off / burnt off right at the cartridge