X-Axis Drifting

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
merengueman

X-Axis Drifting

Post by merengueman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi All,

I have been hapilly printing away with my Up! for a couple of years... until recently I started to experience a drift in my X-azis during printing. It happens only in X and happens on all prints. Please see photos for example.
Up! Parts Drift 1.JPG
Up! Parts Drift 1.JPG (86.03 KiB) Viewed 8124 times
Up! Parts Drift 2.JPG
Up! Parts Drift 2.JPG (88.31 KiB) Viewed 8124 times
I have tried searching the forum for this type of issue and have tried to perform the various maintenance operations suggested for other symptoms that may be similar : check belt (OK), check bearing (OK), clean grease gunk and reapply grease on all axes, check nut holding the printing head is secured tightly etc. All to no avail.

I would like some advice from the experts on here who may have seen this type of problem before. I tendd to think that it might be related to the X-axis motor losing steps, but am surprised that it happens only in one direction? Could it be some sort of backlash effect? If so, what should I be checking for wear/replacement?

Any advice/comments welcome!

Rgds,

Nick

D3rax

Re: X-Axis Drifting

Post by D3rax » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Just three remarks that pop in to mind:
-Did you do the calibration print and did you enter the measures in the calibration menu?
-Does drifting occur with different .stl files (could be its a problem in the .stl file, unlikely but possible).
-Don't know how you secure your prefboard (or other print surface) to the printbed, but it cloud be that the prefboard is sliding?
Up! Plus

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Check for dust build up under the x axis runner between runner bottom and top of sheet metal below it. I found the build up started to jam the X runner, subtle at first but got so bad stepper lost steps.

With UP turned off gently move the head along the X axis, if it gets tighter at certain points that I found was the build up of dust sand clag.

Just a thought.

cheers

Peter

dracid

Post by dracid » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:56 am

I am having similar issues with x axis slant, where the prints are all leaning back.

- tried recalibrating the machine nearly 6 times now,
- have glued the gear on the stepper,
-have greased the track, reprinted the carriage
- belt appears to be tensioned correctly
- have loosened and re tightened the rear screw (after levelling)

If this isn't fixed the machine is obsolete.

Has anybody got any ideas why the x axis might be slanting?

EDIT:

The fix was aligning the x-axis arm - simply loosen the rear right screw on the arms casing. once loose, try lifting the front of the arm up, once the front of the arm has been lifted and appears aligned tighten the rear right scew to hold everything in place. basically the frame of the machine was out of calibration and needed to be corrected.

The calibration model which i have is also 44mm tall on the z axis, not 40mm as shown in the up plus user manual.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:28 am

If you are losing steps you will probably hear the clicking but it is worth checking the axis is running free by just moving it back and forth while turned off. You should feel the consistent resitance of the motor and no sticking point.

Some have had their pulleys come lose after a period so this is worth checking too. I have a suspicion they were glued rather than pinned in place.

merengueman

Post by merengueman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Just thought I would post an update.
What fixed it for me was finding a better glue for the plastic gear onto the stepper shaft. I found a bearing glue that seems to have done the trick - all other forms that I tried (superglues, plastic glues, metal glues, epoxies etc.) seemed to come loose again during printing with the high accelerations and the heat from the stepper.
So far, I've printed many parts with the fix without any more slippage. If only I could say the same about nozzles clogging up!...

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:24 am

Nice, glad to hear you got it working - I don't know why they don't better mechanically lock the drive gear.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 pm

roller wrote:Nice, glad to hear you got it working - I don't know why they don't better mechanically lock the drive gear.
Cost
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:19 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:
roller wrote:Nice, glad to hear you got it working - I don't know why they don't better mechanically lock the drive gear.
Cost
Let me rephrase that ... I do know why ... but I don't know why they think it's good enough and at the volume they sell I am sure they could get away with a minimal increase in cost and even pass it on to little effect. To me they make some crazy choices on what to skimp on.