Two connectors for fans on printhead?

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
D3rax

Two connectors for fans on printhead?

Post by D3rax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:54 am

Hello,

I have a question about connecting a extra 40mm fan to the printhead. When I look at the circuit board on top of the printhead, I see two identical pin connectors. One on the left and one on the right of the board. The connector on the left connects the standard 40 mm fan. I was wondering, can I safely connect a second 40 mm fan to the connector on the right?
Up! Plus

D3rax

Re: Two connectors for fans on printhead?

Post by D3rax » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:25 pm

A picture to clarify
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.15 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
Up! Plus

ming

Post by ming » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:58 am

If i may ask what are you trying to achieve or fix ? is the extruder slipping ? what makes you think you need more cooling ?

Im not a fan of adding more items to the printhead system
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 am

MingTai wrote:
Im not a fan of adding more items to the printhead system
not a fan of adding a fan? lol

caesar

Post by caesar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:43 am

D3rax, the second connector is used for the 3 LED strip on a Up! Mini.
Can't advise on a fan connecting to it though.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:08 am

Caeser, thanks for clarifying that. If its used to power leds on the mini it should be fine to power a fan. Unfortunately I do not own a multimeter and I also don't have enough knowledge of electronics to correctly check if and which fans can be connected....Hoped someone here already had tested this.

Mingtai, the reason I want to add an extra fan is for printing PLA. Adding more weight to the printhead is not ideal, but as far as I know a extra fan should not be a problem. I want to add this mod: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:200072 (without the snorkel though, for minimizing wheight).
Up! Plus

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 am

As far as I know that connector only works on the Mini for light. Maybe I connected the fan wrong at the time but there was no power for it. But I haven's used a multimeter so I hope I'm wrong. An extra fan on the right for PLA is something I'm working on so it would be nice if it could work.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:51 am

To bad to hear that, your fan did not work when connecting it to the led connector. I have given it some thought, not sure if I'm right, but I believe the leds on the mini go an after pressing a button. So I think the connector only has voltage after the button on the mini is pressed. Question is how to activate it on the Plus. I think this is somehow possible to achieve on the motherboard of the printer...
Up! Plus

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 pm

You could try 2 quick "flicks" of the initialise button. This is how the light on the Mini is activated. Timing is important though.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

caesar

Post by caesar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 pm

It sometimes takes 3-4-5 quick clicks on a mini to get the light started... keep that in mind.
The LEDs don't draw more than 20mA while a fan usually goes above 100mA while working and much more at the moment it starts. I don't recommend you to connect the fan there.

It should be better to use a more powerful line to draw the extra needed for a fan. I would maybe use the heater connection for a fan that works while the nozzle is heated but personally prefer just use a separate power source for a 12cm fan while printing PLA.
It is much safer to kill a 10$ power source than damaging a 1000$ board, just my 2cents.

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 am

You got a point there, but this would be a nice and clean solution. Is it possible to check the current/ampere of the connector with a multimeter?
Up! Plus

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 pm

The 2 or more flicks of the initialize button probably won't work on an Up Plus because that is the ''Print again'' command. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in the manual but sometimes I use it if I'm printing more of the same model.

Just click twice on an Up Plus and it will print the last job again without the need of uploading from a PC.

But I agree, an extra fan would be great but maybe not worth the risk.

R-A

Post by R-A » Tue May 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's the closest to what I want to achieve...

How would one connect (i.e. which connections) some LED's to an UP Plus! 2, in order to get some light on the nozzle, and printbed?

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 pm

R-A wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's the closest to what I want to achieve...

How would one connect (i.e. which connections) some LED's to an UP Plus! 2, in order to get some light on the nozzle, and printbed?
This works nicely, cheap too.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5890#p5480
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

R-A

Post by R-A » Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:
R-A wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's the closest to what I want to achieve...

This works nicely, cheap too.
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5890#p5480
Thanx, but I'm hoping to use the existing power source, and possibly normal LED lights (components). Those USB one might be nice, but it's just another cable cluttering everything.

Soberman

Post by Soberman » Thu May 22, 2014 9:06 pm

On the 2pin connector multimetr shows 3.3 V.
On the 3 pin - zerro. Between any pins

Gigi

Post by Gigi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:58 am

Keep your bedroom, office or nursery cool and comfortable with a tower fan. Today's tower fans can cut your energy costs and improve air circulation.

rebizov

Post by rebizov » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Anyone tried to use "Fan6" contacts on the motherboard to connect extra fan? There's also a "5V" contacts on the motherboard, does anyone know how much current these do provide?

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Unsure of the current capability, if you track down the 5V supply the components there should give some insight. On my Up Mini 2 the unused header was 3.3V btw, I'm guessing its for probing or jam sensor in the future.

If you have a programmable load you could also just load the lines you want slowly increasing the load until you see the voltage starting to sag, and choose a conservative number before that. Do keep an eye on the temperature of the components for the supply circuit as well.