Support material not sticking to perfboard

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
rodan
Support material not sticking to perfboard

Post by rodan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 am

Hi Folks,

Wondering if someone might be able to help with the following problem.

While trying to print a model with my Afinia/Up! Plus the support material fails to stick to the perfboard base, curling up at the ends (see photo below).

Some things which might be relevant:
- I've pre-heated the platform (to a bit more than 100C IIRC).
- I've made successful prints before, but haven't used the printer for over a month.
- I don't think the model is anything exotic--it's a minor variation of something I've printed before.
- I'm using Version 1.17 of the Afinia Windows app, and FW version 3.03

Thanks in advance!
Dan

p.s. Apologies if this isn't right place for this type of question. "Board index ‹ UP! 3D Printer ‹ General" was locked for me.
baseboard.JPG
baseboard.JPG (82.48KiB)Viewed 14086 times

ahd71

Re: Support material not sticking to perfboard

Post by ahd71 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi,

Hard to see from that angle in a slightly blurry picture but my guess would be that the nozzle wasn't close enough the board for the first layer.

BR/Ahd71

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm

ahd71 wrote:Hard to see from that angle in a slightly blurry picture but my guess would be that the nozzle wasn't close enough the board for the first layer.
Agreed. Try bumping up the platform height in 0.05mm increments.

Also, if the first layer is more smooshed down in some places than others, you need to level the platform more precisely.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Looks like the left side is not level. What I do is put the glove over the platform during preheating to insulated the table so the heat can spread into the metal platform and wait till it's 105c. Then print. Also make sure you close the extruder door during preheating and raft building.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm

To check clearance between nozzle and perfboard. Using maintenance, move platform to print start height. (Go into print or print preview mode and note the mm number for platform, should be around 139mm.) Now in maintenance menu type in that value and click the "to" button to move platform to that height. Now with two thicknesses of normal printing paper slide them between the nozzle and the perfboard, the paper should slide in but feel a slight grip. With the paper still in place move platform through the five preset positions, FL, FR, Centre, Nl, NR and make sure the grip on the paper is similar. If it is OK in some places but tight or loose in others the platform is not level. If it is very loose in all places, and is still loose with 3 or 4 layers of paper, move the platform up by 0.1 to 0.3mm to the nozzle position number. Then hit "to" and recheck the grip. If it is now too tight, back off the numbers again. Once happy with grip hit "set Nozzle height" and follow instructions.

I would suggest you let the perfboard heat up fully before carrying out this check, as it may expand on heating.

Hope this helps and I am not teaching you how to suck eggs.

cheers

Peter

rodan

Post by rodan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Thank so much for the help y'all.

It seems that the base was out of level. I didn't suspect this because I had just carefully leveled the base, but somehow it had gotten out of level again. I might have crashed the head, or possibly the level screws aren't too resistant to being moved, I'm not sure.

In any event, I've just started a print which seems to be proceeding well.

Dan

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:12 am

I've always hit "Extrude" and "Preheat" the build plate to maximum temp, then after the extrude do all the "Tramming" of the build plate to the extruder, this way all of the system is at the maximum material expansion tolerance, as it will be when you actually print.
:ugeek:
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Greasetattoo

Post by Greasetattoo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Make sure and wipe your perf board with Acetone.
As, any oil from you fingers will preventing sticking too!

But, I don't think that was your problem, though.
Like said b4, your bed is uneven.

rodan

Post by rodan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm

As it turns out, I spoke too soon. After I wrote my last "seems to be going well" message, things stopped going well; the part started to pull up at the edges as before.

Before doing this print, I did carefully level the platform.

Drew--can you clarify what you mean by "tramming"?

Mr Tattoo ;) -I'll give cleaning a try.

Also, this is a pretty large part in X and Y--not too far off the maximum dimensions. Do larger/wider parts tend to cause more problems like this?

Thanks again for all the help.

Dan

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes larger parts do tend to warp and lift up on the edges more. You can prevent this with minimizing drafts and preheating the platform. You also should close the windbarrier.
Up! Plus