A dead UP!

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
adammunich

A dead UP!

Post by adammunich » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:26 am

Hi all,

Recently, my UP printer began giving me USB connection troubles. That is, it ceased to enumerate, even under arch linux. Interestingly, everything else seems to still work save for the "cpu"''s USB peripheral, and after a bit of inspection it wasn't hard to see why: there is no clamping circuit (zener, etc) on the USB line!

For those that don't know what that means, it implies that ESD events destroyed part of the chip.

I've owned this printer for several years now, and in fact have been quite a happy customer. It always worked. But, I now see the price PP3DP charges for what I assume to be an STM32 micro controller is a bit absurd. Grossly, in fact.

In a final ditch effort to repair this printer, I'm asking then, does anyone know the identity of this chip? I'd like to find its JTAG pins to transfer its assembly to a new uC, but it seems like DMFC scratched off the identification labels on both this IC, and the one in their FCC approval documents. I'd like to avoid de-capping the IC (fuming nitric is expensive), but I will probably have to resort to that given what there is to work with.

Are there any PP3DP employees out there who can help? I have a $6,000 3D printer budget for a hackerspace, but UP!'s not getting it unless I can fix my own machine!

Tiertime-Edward

Re: A dead UP!

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 am

Please send email to support at pp3dp dot com, tell them you printer serial number, where you bought it and problem details. There will technicians to help you out.

Rhenium

Post by Rhenium » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:00 pm

The lack of the zener certainly explains the rash of ESD death. I contemplated buying a new board but can't justify $1100 for one with the same fault.
I've often wonder if the susceptibility to ESD was a bug or a feature... ;)

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Interesting. I thought STM32 but only because I had been playing with their dev boards.

Curiously the dev boards have a processor in the middle and two rows of pins pointing up. Curiously similar.

You don't suppose they kept the same pinout do you :mrgreen:

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Regarding static damage to the USB, you should be safe. USB is very tricky to connect D+ D- before the grounding shell touches. Maybe we need to avoid USB sockets that do not connect hard to the computer housing?

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 am

my up plus has "died" twice on me after unplugging it and moving it to another room. After plugging it back in I would turn it on and the status light would immediately turn green. then it wouldn't be recognized by the pc or respond to hitting the initialize switch. Each time I thought my printer was dead. but I've learned that leaving it unplugged overnight usually fixes the problem. This last time though I had to leave it unplugged for a couple days before it worked properly again. I'm now saving up to buy a USB ground loop isolator to see if that will protect it a little better

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Agreed, I have fixed my unfindable UP, my unreadable UP SD card and my uncalibratable UP. No matter how bad it seems, try unplugging everything and doing nothing for 12 to 24 hours.

I stopped mentioning this because nobody seemed to believe me. For some reason they couldn't wait to send it back and spend loads of money.

If two of us recommend it ? :mrgreen:

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen others mention it in the forums in the past. But with the slew of noobs coming to the forums and asking the same basic questions before reading their manuals (anyone else getting tired of telling people to level their bed) or searching the forum for their problems, it's starting to get harder to find the older posts.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:54 pm

adammunich wrote:I've owned this printer for several years now, and in fact have been quite a happy customer.
Over the past two years, it is my understanding that there have been a number of design changes to prevent problems with ESD. The older models were quite susceptible to this.

So if you have an older model this is not surprising.

Rhenium

Post by Rhenium » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:58 pm

"Over the past two years, it is my understanding that there have been a number of design changes to prevent problems with ESD."

Any idea what these changes are? I've crawled this forum, but am unaware of what (if any) efforts have been taken.
I live in a high, dry, low humidity area, and ESD is a constant problem.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:50 am

I too am having this problem at the moment.
The print started to lift badly so I stopped the print.
Then the printer would not respond and played hide and seek.
Waited for hours
Tried again, something, tried a print but noticed stopped extruding.
Won't extrude at all.

What do I look for, how do I fix this?
Thankyou

Robin

Post by Robin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:28 pm

When the nozzle blocks the feed motor doesn't realise it has blocked and keeps on turning. The filament can't move even though it is pressed up against a moving, serrated metal wheel. Not moving means it wears away until it is no longer even trying to feed filament.

To fix it you have to fix 2 problems, the blockage and the worn away filament. I extract the filament and snip off the worn part. I then drill out the blockage while it is still hot and then tell it to extrude while I keep pulling plastic. A blockage is usually burnt plastic and you really need to chew it up good before it can come out without assistance. I bought some 0.4mm drill bits attached to lumps of metal which make them easy to manipulate. Screw it in, pull it out, repeat until plastic starts to flow.

Stopping an UP in the middle of anything usually means resetting it is unavoidable. They just sit there waiting for something to finish, completely unaware that you have already finished it.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Rhenium wrote:"Over the past two years, it is my understanding that there have been a number of design changes to prevent problems with ESD."

Any idea what these changes are? I've crawled this forum, but am unaware of what (if any) efforts have been taken.
I live in a high, dry, low humidity area, and ESD is a constant problem.
I couldn't tell you specific changes. This is my understanding based on some conversations I had with the folks at Afinia.

I do know that my 2013-model Up has a lot of under the hood changes compared to my 2011-model. The basic design remains the same, but almost every detail seems to have been tweaked in some way.