Question about wiring - UP! Version 1.1

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Sidney Hartha

Question about wiring - UP! Version 1.1

Post by Sidney Hartha » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 am

I am in the U.S. I purchased an Up printer in December of 2011 and I was wondering if anyone can answer a question about it for me. My version/model was referred to as the UP! Start Plus v1.1 when I bought it. The filament supplier on mine looks different than the pictures in the manual I was given, and that is the reason for my question...it's about the 2 power inputs/sockets on the printer.

If you look at the printer from the back, on the bottom left there is a 4-pin connector input, and this is for the large brick power supply to plug into.

My question is about the smaller round input/socket that is directly to the right of the 4-pin input. It says "DC 20V Output". What do I plug into this socket? Also, there is a socket of exactly the same type on the square white filament supplier. What do I plug into that socket? Is there a wire I should have that connects the two, or do I actually plug a power supply from the wall into one of them, or both?

I have included a picture of the back of the printer showing the first socket I am asking about, just to the right of the 4-pin connector. I have also included a picture of the second socket on what I am calling the "filament supplier" (I'm not sure if this is the correct term--it is the white plastic box directly above the spool that the filament passes through as it leaves the spool). The third pic is just a pic of the entire printer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if there is a cord or power supply I need to plug into these 2 sockets, do you know where I can get one?

Thanks!

mr6k

Re: Question about wiring - UP! Version 1.1

Post by mr6k » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 am

the power socket is for this filament supplier. the motorised filamentt supplier was discontinued some while ago as it was found that there was sufficient pull by the extrusion motor to "drag" filament from the spool. I kept mine going until recently, however I now do not use the filament supplier. To replace it you will need to make a simple bracket that includes a short tube that has an inner diameter greater than the filament diameter and an outer diameter smaller than the plastic feed tube that goes to the extruder. Simply mount the bracket and tube where the motorised filament supplier has been removed, feed the filament through the short tube and place the plastic feed pipe above the short tube. If you search this site you will find some images of this feeder. Also I think there are some stl files on thingiverse. I guess you could print this without the motorised unit, so long as you manually feed filament off the reel.

cheers

Peter

Sidney Hartha

Re: Question about wiring - UP! Version 1.1

Post by Sidney Hartha » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks a ton for the reply! Would you clarify the statement "the power socket is for this filament supplier." I spoke about 2 sockets, one of which is on the base of the printer in the back and is labeled "DC 20V Output". The other is on the filament supplier. Do you mean the socket that is on the base was originally meant to feed power to the socket that is on the filament supplier? If so, what specifically needed to be connected to make this work?

I never had anything plugged into either of these 2 sockets because, as you point out, the extrusion motor was able to pull the filament by itself. I understand you are saying now that the entire whit box (filament supplier/feeder) should be removed and replaced with a more simple part that acts as a simple guide. However, I really wanted to get clarification on how the printer was originally meant to work with the filament supplier/feeder that is installed now.

Thanks again.