Solution to Warping

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
ftdesigns

Solution to Warping

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 pm

i tried using a glue stick to reduce warping on prints, and it worked wonderfully. here is a video i made to demonstrate the concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHyddM7q ... e=youtu.be

LonV

Re: Solution to Warping

Post by LonV » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Interesting! I wonder if it would work with painters tape or glass instead of Kapton?

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 pm

i don't know, but you could definitely try.

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:30 am

Yeah, I should stop by Walgreens and try. :) It would definitely be a much cheaper solution than Kapton.

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 am

The Cube uses a 'secret' glue stick on their platforms... :-)
Cheers
Olaf

marto

Post by marto » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Well time to bust out my 200mm roll of Kapton and try this on the mini.

Steve

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Thank you for that advice, it's working well (so far only tried with two prints, but seems to stick)!

I tried ABS-paste prior to the glue sticks, it worked most of the time, but was not easy to apply, and even if I have to put new Kapton on the build platform every other print, it is worth it.

Too bad I can't print on just kapton anymore, but ever since printing with the WindBattierV11 and 0.15mm the quality is amazing, but the warping gets a real problem... Let's hope the glue stick will keep eliminating that problem.

(Using Tedi €1 glue stick three pack)

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 pm

This is most encouraging news! Marto can you give us some feedback on your findings concerning the Mini and the glue paste. Promising very promising ;)

marto

Post by marto » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am

Haven't had time to test this yet. Might be able to this weekend, gotta get me some glue sticks.

Steve

walter

Post by walter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks! It's working for me too. I've needed to put down more glue than shown in the video, but I've been using a really old glue stick and applying it directly to a glass plate.

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 am

Here is another one for you to try while I try your idea -

I have been using hairspray on the blue tape - works pretty good for most small-medium prints! Only miniscule warping with large prints (the? whole size of the platform) - no where near the warpage I previously had!

I'll try out your idea soon!

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 pm

With the hairspray, how is the surface finish on the bottom of the prints coming out? Is there any discoloration?

The main downside with the glue is the white glue particles building up on the bottom of the print causing discoloration. Most of it IS washable with water (glue is the same stuff used in kindergarten), but still some of it remains and looks ugly.

As far as warping goes, I believe that warping happens no matter what. My issue was the print not sticking to the platform. The glue sticks the print to the platform very strongly, but what I actually noticed was since the print still warps yet sticks so well, my perfboard platform started to bend. I first noticed this on a large print that usually warped away from the platform at the edges. All edges were sticking to the platform, but there was still warping occurring at the edges; and that's when I noticed the platform bending. Now I'm afraid this won't work on glass platforms because the glass won't bend.

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 pm

I tried glue directly on glass and just couldn't get it to adhere at all.

But I am using Kapton on glass with glue stick on top and it works great. After 3-6 prints (particularly of the same part) the Kapton will start to lift off of the glass when it "warps". With fresh Kapton I haven't had any lifting even on large flat parts.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi all
And I am again about to praise Gekko sheets.
I have now printed dozens of models on the first of three Gekko sheets I received from forbinone (http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/memberlist.p ... file&u=941).
Some prints have a footprint of more than 100mm X 100mm, and I have not had a single warping problem.
Forbinone has not advertised the Gekko for a couple of months, so, new members may not be aware of the Gekko.
They are a sheet that is screwed onto the print bed, and when heated stick to ABS remarkably well, but once cooled down weakens its grip to ABS sufficiently to easily remove the printed model.
I hope forbinone will soon offer the Gekko again, because it is an easy solution to warping.
In case any one is wondering, no, I am not a business partner, relative or friend of forbinone - just an advocate of a very successful solution to prints in progress lifting of the print bed.
Regards
Lawrence
Last edited by Lawrence on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am

YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!!!!! THANKYOU!!!!
I have been spending DAYS trying to get PLA to stick to the platform with almost no success.
I have tried -
- Perf board
- 3M blue tape
- blue tape and hairspray
- glass
- the raw platform
- every nozzle height tried to the point of almost grinding the nozzle into the platform for all the above.
- multiple colours
- ABS setting (with and without the Octave temp drop mod)

Then I tried the gluestick on blue tape - It worked with the WORST of the colored PLA!!!
I was using the Bostick Blue (goes on blue and dries clear)
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLUE STICK!!!!

I can't notice hairspray on the bottom of the print at all! All I can say is give it a try!
(I think yours might be better though - will try with ABS soon)

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 pm

dogbert wrote: ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLUE STICK!!!!
hahaha. yeah well, i still want to eliminate the whitish sediment on the bottom of my prints after using the glue, so if you know of any glue sticks that don't cause that, let me know.

Neal

Post by Neal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm

I have also had good success with the glue stick.

To get rid of the white residue on the bottom of the print I rub the bottom of the part with a fine scotch pad. A minute or so of rubbing and it takes it off.

LonV

Post by LonV » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:25 am

I just wash the white stuff off with water. Maybe that's bad though, but works for me. :)

walter

Post by walter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 am

I'm using an "Elmer's Extreme" glue stick, it washes off without any residue and applies smoothly. I was using a really old Avery glue stick before that was kind of gummy and would leave a texture on the bottom of the print. Glue stick on 1/8" polycarbonate seems to work better for me than on glass, I can use a lighter coat and don't have to preheat as much. The only downside is the polycarbonate needs to be anchored down more securely. Without the gluestick coating, polycarbonate is too sticky and I can't get the prints off without damage.

dogbert

Post by dogbert » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 pm

walter wrote: Without the gluestick coating, polycarbonate is too sticky and I can't get the prints off without damage.
WOW! You're serious Walter? WITHOUT the gluestick is sticks too well?
Is this for ABS, PLA or both?

For PLA I was thinking of copying the way of the Replicator 2 and put a polycarb sheet on my UP.
Have you had good success with that?

One little thing to tell everyone - I have found that the Bostick Blustick dosen't work well if you put it on (wait for it to dry of course :) ) and then use it straight on the PLA setting. I've found the bed (and tape/gluestick) needs to be heated up to ABS temp for a while and then switched to PLA before the first print - otherwise the PLA dosen't stick as well. I think this heating kind of activates it somehow.