Another Printer System Error Layer 1

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
SKYWAYS128

Another Printer System Error Layer 1

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:12 am

Hi all!

Even after leaving the printer unplugged for a week, the damn error's still there. I tried some of the advice mentioned in other posts such as re-installing the software and updating the ROM, but nothing worked.

Actually, I couldn't even update the ROM, as every time I try, it says, "This ROM file can't be used by the printer!"

I used the file that was in the UP system folder.

The thing is, while the printer actually prints, the extrude and withdraw buttons are grayed out, so I probably won't be able to load a new spool.

I really need some help here, guys.

Tiertime-Edward

Re: Another Printer System Error Layer 1

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Sky, how this problem happened? Can you initialize the printer? Please run the "Up inspector" program and see if it is the SD card issue.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi, Edward!
If I recall correctly, I think the problem started when I clicked on the "print" button on the tool bar instead of 3D Print > Print (as in clicking "3D Print" and then selecting and clicking "Print"). The latter method was how the technician who delivered the printer to me did it, and that's how I've been doing it until the last time. Admittedly, I haven't been printing for a few months and temporarily forgot how.

Anyways, the light on the printer started flickering non-stop, and in a panic, I shut it down, and turned it back on. It still printed fine, but from then on, the "printer system error layer 1" thing keeps showing up when I connect the printer.

I can still initialize the printer, but the "extrude" and "withdraw" buttons are now grayed out in the Maintenance box. I tried clicking "Stop All", but it doesn't work.

I just ran Up Inspector, and the SD card test showed "SD card test passed."

I then clicked on "Read print parameters" and this appeared: "Error Code: 003, Can't read Print Param from Printer and Computer."

This is what the rest of the box says:
Up inspector.jpg
Up inspector.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 19123 times
The strange thing is, after running UP Inspector, it no longer says "printer system error layer:1" but has now changed to "Save data to SD layer:1".

Is that an improvement, or am I back to square one?

What do I do now?

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:22 am

Just turned on the printer today, and it's back to "Printer System Error Layer:1" again.

Using Up Inspector seem to change it depending on what button I press. "Check Print Parameters" just gives out an "error 003", Test SD card changes it to "save data to SD layer:1" and Initialize, well, initializes the printer and changes it to "Prepared fro Printing layer:0"

No matter what it says, I can still initialize and print. And silly me, I just discovered that the Extrude and Withdraw buttons in the maintenance box are always grayed out before you initialize the printer! :lol:

So basically, the one thing wrong with the printer is the error on the status box instead of "printer is connected."

I suppose I should be grateful, but that error there just makes me uncomfortable.

UPDATE:
I also noticed that the timer is a little "off." While printing the wind barrier part, the print job was completed roughly 2 minutes earlier than the timer predicted.

Is this normal?

woofy

Post by woofy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:23 pm

SKYWAYS128 wrote:.. . the timer is a little "off." While printing the wind barrier part, the print job was completed roughly 2 minutes earlier than the timer predicted.

Is this normal?
Yes, and sometimes it takes a little longer, use the time as a guide not as a precise time.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 am

Good it can print, please try to reseat the SD card.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 am

woofy wrote:
SKYWAYS128 wrote:.. . the timer is a little "off." While printing the wind barrier part, the print job was completed roughly 2 minutes earlier than the timer predicted.

Is this normal?
Yes, and sometimes it takes a little longer, use the time as a guide not as a precise time.
Thanks for clearing that up, Woofy! I After that error thing, I've gotten super paranoid with everything about the printer. :lol:
Edward wrote:Good it can print, please try to reseat the SD card.
I've been meaning to do that, but the warranty sticker's in the way, and I don't want to void the warranty. It's been less than a year since I bought the printer, so it's still under warranty.

But if reseating the SD card is a guaranteed fix, maybe I'll give it a try. Of maybe I should just call the tech and have him sort it out?

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 am

Yes, please tell your vendor to rocord it, so that you may allow to reseat the SD card without void the warranty ;)

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 am

Edward wrote:Yes, please tell your vendor to rocord it, so that you may allow to reseat the SD card without void the warranty ;)
Thanks, Edward; will do!

But at the risk of sounding like an utter idiot, what exactly do I tell the vendor? I've never asked for permission to break open a warranty seal before, and I don't want him to get all confused. Is this standard practice?

reed

Post by reed » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 pm

I am getting the same error.

"Printer System Error Layer:1"

I was doing a print and the print head started colliding with the print. I went to cancel the print from the Up software and the STOP button was disabled. I was forced to shut the printer down manually using the power switch. Now, ever since doing that, I have had this "Printer System Error Layer:1" error.

wrongway

Post by wrongway » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:10 pm

I got an Up plus 2 from amazon and got a "printer system error layer 1" error message right out of the box. I found a forum post that said that the only fix for this was to replace the CPU. I exchanged for an other printer, and upon hooking it up, I once again got the "printer system error layer 1" error message as soon as I connected the printer to my pc. I can't begin to express my level of frustration here. 2 printers with the same problem right out of the box. I'm willing to try things to fix this, but I have no soldering experience, so I'm hoping that, if it comes to it, can replace the CPU without solder. For god;s sake, will someone help me

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Have you intialised the printer with the software?
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

wrongway

Post by wrongway » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I've initialized, and can print, but I still get the "printer system error layer 1" everytime I start the printer. If this is the only problem, I can deal, but does anyone know if this is a sign of future trouble?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:25 am

That's normal to see that before you initialise after switching on.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

wrongway

Post by wrongway » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:15 am

That really needs to be in the instructions. The quickstart guide says "run the UP software and go to 3D print-maintenance-extrude. It says nothing about having to run the initialization process before you can do this. I returned my first printer because the only forum post I could find about this error said it could only be fixed by replacing the CPU. Granted, I'm fairly computer-stupid, but how can a normal operation not be in the quickstart guide?

roller

Post by roller » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 pm

The quick start guide I read (before I received my printer) said, "The printer must be initialized before printing".