Up extruder stop working after 15 minutes

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
padorange

Up extruder stop working after 15 minutes

Post by padorange » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Since many months my UP printer was unusable, i've try many things, read thousands of messages and advice, nothing works.
The story is long and my english is poor, sorry...

It was an Up Plus printer that works fine for about 1 year (perhaps 40-50 prints).

Few months ago, the extruder stop working fine during prints and from that moment never works fine again.

The first time i got problems that when a first try to use PLA (before i used ABS). After some attempt i conclude PLA was hard to process and go back with ABS.
Of course i setup the software correctly each time (from ABS > PLA and then PLA > ABS).
It was also at that time that i began using a gray ABS (before i only print with white ABS), i suspect the color to change a bit the temperature required but going back to white ABS do not change...

After that even with ABS i got troubles and troubles became more and more important.
At the beginning i got prints that stop (then printer continue but plastic was not extrude), some print got fine.
At that point i did not notice noises when extrusion stop (but i was not each time beside the printer when the problem appears).
After a few experiment i conclude that the extrusion stop after an amount of time (from 30 to 60 minutes).

Of course i clean completly the nose and the head each time.

Finally i order a new nose (nose with heater), the new nose do exactly the same and even worse because it must be slightly smaller because the ABS filament push it hard (just before stopping) and often the head to down (even if screw it hard) and then a heard now a noise.

I test printing in air after it stop extruding (handling head with a tool of course) and pushing manually the filament : nothing to do the filament is blocked !
The only way to restart was to remove filament, cut it then i could print manually in air !

So now i suspect also the filament : i test (remember) PLA, Gray ABS and white ABS. I inspect and do not see air bubble in filament.
But i only have one provider, and i do not want to be another filament (i got 4 in stocks) if the printer could not print anymore.

I also suspect the motor (it was very hot after 15 minutes) and add a second fan, nothing changes.

Now i also suspect the software (temperature parameters), because is remember that the problem occurs after the first time i switch software to PLA.
I'm using Mac software.
Is there a way to check temperature parameters ? Do i have to test with a PC ?

Summary :
*The extruder stop extruding after 15-60 minutes.
*The extruder make now noise, but the first time the problem occurs (this summer) no noise, just stopping extruding (motor turn).
*The nose/head is clean, and cleaned each time.
*The nose has been changed.
*The only way to make the printer print again was to remove filament, cut it and put it again.

At that point i do not understand what append.
Any help would be useful, thanks.

roller

Re: Up extruder stop working after 15 minutes

Post by roller » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Ok ... first PLA is hard to print because the extruder motor gets hot and makes the PLA go soft and it jams.

Once you have had a jam especially a PLA one you often need to clean out the teeth of the extruder gear. Bits of plastic get ground off in the jam and get stuck in the extruders teeth - this stops it grabbing and feeding the filament properly.

If you want to print PLA then I am finding Colorfabb PLA seems to work reliably due to it's higher softening point. Other premium PLAs often do a little better but not all of them.

Anyway, clean out your extruder gear teeth and let us know if you are still having feeding issues.

padorange

Post by padorange » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm

roller wrote: Once you have had a jam especially a PLA one you often need to clean out the teeth of the extruder gear. Bits of plastic get ground off in the jam and get stuck in the extruders teeth - this stops it grabbing and feeding the filament properly. .
Thanks, but after each jam i completly clean the head : nozzle, teeth (and yes each Time there is plastic on teeth) : hard tooth brush is a great tool for That.
But it did not help, next print still jam...

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:01 am

have you removed the tip, and then chased with a probe the tube from the top where the filament goes in??

I found due to the different melting points when in ABS mode (after using PLA mode) any PLA left is really melted in and can block the tube before the tip...

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 am

Do you have problem with UP filament? Maybe your ABS melting temperature is too low and cause jam?

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:47 am

It could be that the little white plastic cap with the bearing is causing the problems. When it gets too much room the filament will push/bend it to the left and then the teeth from the gear can't get enough grip. Always remove old glue from the part and then superglue it back on the stepper motor.

padorange

Post by padorange » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:05 pm

ktronik wrote:have you removed the tip, and then chased with a probe the tube from the top where the filament goes in??

I found due to the different melting points when in ABS mode (after using PLA mode) any PLA left is really melted in and can block the tube before the tip...
Yes i have cleaned complete the whole head, from the first motor, the second and the noozle.

padorange

Post by padorange » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Edward wrote:Do you have problem with UP filament? Maybe your ABS melting temperature is too low and cause jam?
I've no more UP filament at home.
Just white and grey ABS (from another provider) and PLA. Those ABS from another provider have been used 6 months ago (a whole 1Kg filament without problems). But it may be a source of trouble.

I hesitate to order another ABS without been sure it the problem (it cost money, as i live in Europe).
But i do not found any other clue...

padorange

Post by padorange » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:It could be that the little white plastic cap with the bearing is causing the problems. When it gets too much room the filament will push/bend it to the left and then the teeth from the gear can't get enough grip. Always remove old glue from the part and then superglue it back on the stepper motor.
I'll check and investigate this, thanks.

padorange

Post by padorange » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Finally, the UP printer is now working.
The trouble came from the filament, The 2 white roll i got where not correctly sized (diameter), using another black one, it works fine...