New printer Extruder and or Heat Bed failing to heat

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
jp127

New printer Extruder and or Heat Bed failing to heat

Post by jp127 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm

So far I have had my up plus for a day and intermittently the extruder will not heat up and sometimes the heat bed doesnt heat up too. When I actually can get it to print- both the extruder and heatbed. It stops shortly after it starts but not before I start loosing all my heat in my extruder and heatbed. I have not been able to print anything fully. Yes I've initialized it repeatedly with no affect. How do I contact customer service here? Is there a technical support I can talk to?

roller

Re: New printer Extruder and or Heat Bed failing to heat

Post by roller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Which printer do you have - the folks here may be able to help.
Where are you - we may be able to point you to a local reseller.
Where did you get your up - are they not being helpful?

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Check the cable connections, sometime unplugging and re-inserting them can improve contacts, the printer build plate heater cable is prone to friction damage, it rubs against the sheet metal cover and can rub against the drive belt too, causing a short, with the extruder check the leads coming out of the heater block, they take a lot of high heat and the insulation can get burned through, also re-seat the plug while watching the "Maintenance" screen and see if the temp number jumps around as you flex the cables slightly.

I've lost 3 platform heater cables to the rubbing and designed a new cable path that is in testing now. :geek:
I have an extra extruder heater cable ready because the original has had the insulation burnt off, but I covered it in high temp silicon from a local auto store and seems to be holing up. :ugeek:

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

jp127

Post by jp127 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:07 am

Thank you for the responses. I have the Up plus. I have been in contact with pp3dp and they are sending me a replacement nozzle heater. They have been helpful with my printer. I just posted this as soon as I started having problems. Its the nozzle heater. Its resistance currently is open line. Break in the heater in the nozzle. So at first it was intermittent break and I would loose the heating for the nozzle mid print. Since I lost heat in the nozzle, print stopped and the heat bed shutdown. Also when I checked for voltage at the connection for the nozzle, I am getting 20 volts but no heat out of the nozzle heater when activated.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:16 pm

I lost some cables because of friction, too because my Up runs constantly. I think the newer Up's will get other table heating, see the picture below. Maybe this is one of the improvements that have to do with the Afinia, together with the stronger bracket for the print head this is my favorite!
new table heating.jpg
new table heating.jpg (176.97 KiB) Viewed 5201 times