Nozzle extrudes even before printing starts

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
SKYWAYS128

Nozzle extrudes even before printing starts

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:48 am

Hi guys! Newbie reporting in!

I was printing up some spare parts for my UP Plus 2 this morning, when I noticed something weird. When the PC was still sending the layers to the printer, the nozzle started extruding a string of ABS in midair. It stopped a couple of seconds just before the layers were fully sent, and then proceeded to print as normal.

The spare part came out fine, so I wonder if this "premature extrusion" is actually normal. It didn't do this during previous prints.

BTW, it also displayed a "printer system error layer 1" error, but otherwise works fine.

I recently switched to a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I heard that having other USB devices plugged in while the printer is connected can cause errors. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Marcus

Re: Nozzle extrudes even before printing starts

Post by Marcus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Hello Skyways,
it's normal for 3D Printer to ooze some material due to gravity and material expansion when the extruder is heating up.
This is why newer software versions will print a line at the edge of the platform, or reprap slicer/printer softwares circle around the object before printing.
This will ensure the extrusion is constant and no left-over plastic-noodles stick to the print.
How much oozes out depends on the tension after the last print I suppose.
Unless the Mini does extrude on purpose, what I could not imagine why.

As I don't have the Mini but the Plus, and never had the error message, I can't comment on that.

I constantly print on the plus with other things plugged in, printers, mouse, 3D printers, USB thumb drives, cellphones... No issues?

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for replying Marcus!

Good to know that the extrusion's nothing abnormal.

BTW, I also use the UP Plus--the Plus 2, specifically. :D

I wonder what's up with the error message, though. It's never happened before. The only thing different about my laptop that I know is my switching to a wireless keyboard.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Marcus wrote:Hello Skyways,
it's normal for 3D Printer to ooze some material due to gravity and material expansion when the extruder is heating up.
This is why newer software versions will print a line at the edge of the platform, or reprap slicer/printer softwares circle around the object before printing.
This will ensure the extrusion is constant and no left-over plastic-noodles stick to the print.
How much oozes out depends on the tension after the last print I suppose.
Unless the Mini does extrude on purpose, what I could not imagine why.

As I don't have the Mini but the Plus, and never had the error message, I can't comment on that.

I constantly print on the plus with other things plugged in, printers, mouse, 3D printers, USB thumb drives, cellphones... No issues?
Due to gravity and if there's moisture in the filament (yes ABS absorbs some water from the air) it will convert to steam and push out filament form the chamber once it melts. Also, if you are using a non genuine ABS these generally have a lower melting point, will be extra runny and therefore will ooze more at full temperature.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am

roller wrote:Due to gravity and if there's moisture in the filament (yes ABS absorbs some water from the air) it will convert to steam and push out filament form the chamber once it melts. Also, if you are using a non genuine ABS these generally have a lower melting point, will be extra runny and therefore will ooze more at full temperature.
Actually, I'm still using the same spool of ABS that came with my Plus 2.

As for moisture, I've been using it in an enclosed room. There's absolutely nothing that might add moisture to the air--no dehumidifiers or fountains, or whatever.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:49 am

Marcus wrote:I constantly print on the plus with other things plugged in, printers, mouse, 3D printers, USB thumb drives, cellphones... No issues?
Gosh, I just remembered. After repositioning my desk and placing the printer on the other side of the computer (long story--my UP Plus sits on a low cabinet away next to my workstation), I plugged in the usb cable on a another port due to the distance. Could this be the cause?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:31 am

I switch USB ports all the time, depending on where my UP and my laptop sits :-)
Search the forum if the problem remains,

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=764
eek!
Contact support if the problem remains.
Try rebooting, printing a different model (center/lower to buildplate)...
Sorry, I never had that error, I'm not sure what else can cause it.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 pm

SKYWAYS128 wrote:
roller wrote:Due to gravity and if there's moisture in the filament (yes ABS absorbs some water from the air) it will convert to steam and push out filament form the chamber once it melts. Also, if you are using a non genuine ABS these generally have a lower melting point, will be extra runny and therefore will ooze more at full temperature.
Actually, I'm still using the same spool of ABS that came with my Plus 2.

As for moisture, I've been using it in an enclosed room. There's absolutely nothing that might add moisture to the air--no dehumidifiers or fountains, or whatever.
Umm ... if you are breathing and I guess you are ... then you are adding moisture to the air (sorry ... its being facetious day). Anyway, filaments have a reasonable water affinity and will suck moisture out of the air. Essentially, if your sick isn't burning with dry skin ... the air is moist enough to load up your filament. Anyway, that's just one factor that adds to ooze - the printer will ooze a little anyway. If your filament hasn't been out of the foil wrap for more than a few weeks it wont have much water in it unless the bag came broken.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 pm

SKYWAYS128 wrote:
Marcus wrote:I constantly print on the plus with other things plugged in, printers, mouse, 3D printers, USB thumb drives, cellphones... No issues?
Gosh, I just remembered. After repositioning my desk and placing the printer on the other side of the computer (long story--my UP Plus sits on a low cabinet away next to my workstation), I plugged in the usb cable on a another port due to the distance. Could this be the cause?
No.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Marcus wrote:I switch USB ports all the time, depending on where my UP and my laptop sits :-)
Search the forum if the problem remains,

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=764
eek!
Contact support if the problem remains.
Try rebooting, printing a different model (center/lower to buildplate)...
Sorry, I never had that error, I'm not sure what else can cause it.
Yikes, that's scary!

Thanks, I'll try out those methods and see how it goes the next time I print something. Heck, I'll even leave the printer off for the next week or so and see if this "purges" the printer's data and fixes the problem, like I've read in some other posts.

BTW, I know this is sort of a stupid question, but do you plug in the usb cable to the laptop before or after switching on the Plus?
roller wrote:Umm ... if you are breathing and I guess you are ... then you are adding moisture to the air (sorry ... its being facetious day). Anyway, filaments have a reasonable water affinity and will suck moisture out of the air. Essentially, if your sick isn't burning with dry skin ... the air is moist enough to load up your filament. Anyway, that's just one factor that adds to ooze - the printer will ooze a little anyway. If your filament hasn't been out of the foil wrap for more than a few weeks it wont have much water in it unless the bag came broken.
LOL, good point! Well, I'm just glad it's nothing out of the ordinary. The filament's been out of the foil wrap for a few months now, so I guess there's quite a bit moisture in it by now.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:54 am

LOL, good point! Well, I'm just glad it's nothing out of the ordinary. The filament's been out of the foil wrap for a few months now, so I guess there's quite a bit moisture in it by now.
It depends a lot on where you live. I find I have to keep my filament in a tub of desiccant or it gets a little steamy and puts the occasional steam bubble in my prints. But you might not have this problem at all if you live in a less humid climate.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11 am

...I grab random power&usb cables and stop when it's connected.
:mrgreen:

ajohnsonlaird

Post by ajohnsonlaird » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:41 pm

roller wrote:
It depends a lot on where you live. I find I have to keep my filament in a tub of desiccant or it gets a little steamy and puts the occasional steam bubble in my prints. But you might not have this problem at all if you live in a less humid climate.
I wondered why the filament that came with the Up+2 came with a small bag of what is known around our office as "Do not eat" (aka desiccant). (It's called Do Not Eat because most of the bags have that printed on them!)

Andy.
-----
UpBox and UP Plus 2 : Forensic Software Analyst : Portland, Oregon, USA.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 am

By the looks of it, I might have to wrap a plastic bag or something over the spool and toss in a bag or two of those desiccants. I was too lazy to remove the filament from the UP Plus2 and left it connected to the printer under a plastic bag.

I live in a tropical country, so heat and humidity are a given. That said, I usually keep the AC turn on for a few hours at least, every day. It should be enough to keep the room from getting too humid.

SKYWAYS128

Post by SKYWAYS128 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:43 am

Marcus wrote:...I grab random power&usb cables and stop when it's connected.
:mrgreen:
LOL, that might not be the best way to go about it, but it does show how robust the UP Plus can be! :lol: